Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 200w Snap-On blah blah blah...

mp3car sells this: "200w Snap-On Miniature 12v DC Power Supply"

Is this manufactured by mini-box? If so, is this one capable of supporting a P4 processor as it states on the mini-box website?

Mini-box part: PW-120-M 12V, 200Watts ATX micro PSU
    Tidder

Try RevFE
    The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

I Wish I could ban people

yep...and its a good psu however its vulnerable and open (just a circuit board) can be shorted easily. the pw-70a is less vulnerable cause there are no caps on the back. i've fried the 200w one on accident by shorting some caps when testing a voltage.
    CarPC install is starting to come along again...

Comment

Have you seen my setup? All my crap is out in the open (basically).
      Now, the pw-70a, it's P4 capable? See, the 200w one is supposed to have a place on it to solder a P412v connector.
      Tidder

Try RevFE

Comment

yeah, it had one of those square four pin connectors. not the rectangular molex kind but the other. good stuff. i hope you aren't planning on using an ITPS cause you won't survive crank if you do.

you probably won't anways, just use a 4.5Ah SLA battery for a tank circuit like i did. no probs now ^_^ and its only 20 bucks on batterystuff.com

Comment

Originally posted by Grayscale
          yeah, it had one of those square four pin connectors. not the rectangular molex kind but the other. good stuff. i hope you aren't planning on using an ITPS cause you won't survive crank if you do.

you probably won't anways, just use a 4.5Ah SLA battery for a tank circuit like i did. no probs now ^_^ and its only 20 bucks on batterystuff.com
          I'm going down this route. Care to share your tank circuit? I'm worried mine won't work due to the high current requirements 200*W implies and the effect of that on the tank battery.
          Progress: 80% - Permanent install left.
          Motion LS800 Tablet PC and dock.
          Vista, Bu-535 GPS, RoadRunner, MPT2006.

Comment

positive battery terminal to diode -->|-- to positive SLA battery lead to positive computer lead.

ground to negative battery lead to neg comp lead

now. if the sla gets drained its gonna be getting a LOT of current forced in it to recharge. my circuit has no current limiting. just dont let the battery die because if you put more than the current rating of the battery it damages it. in my case its like 1.5 amps i think. or get a hawker brand battery. their plates can't get damaged with overcurrent but i'm sure they're more expensive.

as long as you have at least a 2Ah battery i'm sure you'd be fine. just get like a 4.5Ah batt like mine

Comment

Hmm, you're using an EPIA board. I thought you were using something more power hungry when you mentioned the 200W snap on.

I'm estimating at least 12A current draw for my AMD mATX system. That will cause significant voltage drop on a 7.2Ah batter thay will be supplying it. The EPIA doesn't really use the 12V so that will probably have little effect on your setup (unless you use a 3.5" hdd). It will potentially wreak havoc with mine (amd + 3.5" hdd require good 12V).
              Progress: 80% - Permanent install left.
              Motion LS800 Tablet PC and dock.
              Vista, Bu-535 GPS, RoadRunner, MPT2006.

Comment

Well I was all ready to buy the snap on 70w or 200w psu with an ITPS for my system (some places are selling them together as a package). Then you said:

Originally posted by Grayscale
                i hope you aren't planning on using an ITPS cause you won't survive crank if you do.

Did you mean only a P4 system will not survive the crank?
                Why won't this system work?

I'm planning a PIII or VIA EPIA M10000 based system with a 3.5" HD, 512 MB RAM, FM tuner, GPS mouse, 5.1 Audigy, Laptop DVD drive, Wireless LAN card, a capable graphics card (to be determined), and XMDirect. Will this system work ok with the snap on and ITPS?

Thanks alot for the info.

Comment

The ITPS only regulates 60W of power. If you bypass the regulator, then you will be sending anything from 8-15V into your PC, which isn't good.

Even if you DID use the regulation on the ITPS, you will need the engine to be on in order to provide 13.3V into the ITPS so that it can give 12V out.

My personal recommendation is to get an Opus. You WON'T be disappointed with it, but I know you probably will be disappointed if you get an ITPS.

If you have a case with a 60W PSU already inside it (such as the Morex/Travla cases) and will only need 60W of power, then get a Carnetix CNX-P1260, which is similar to the ITPS, but actually does good regulation of the voltage

Garry

Edit: I can't smell! Plus another recommendation.
                  Co-Developer of A.I.M.E.E
                  www.aimee.cc

Comment

Gary thanks alot for the explanation! Makes total sense. There are so many fine points on the electrical side of this installation that could be overlooked. I appreciate the explanation.

Comment

Garry that is, sorry for mis-spelling. Jim

Comment

Jim, don't worry, everyone at some stage mis-spells it!

I've also edited my post slightly

Garry
                        Co-Developer of A.I.M.E.E
                        www.aimee.cc

Comment

I see your updates, thanks. I don't have anything yet. I'm just putting together my laundry list now. So this sounds like a good route to go for the power supply/regulation.

Comment

If I was you I would avoid the 200-M. Correct it is nice to have the 200 watts, but had bought this PSU and anytime I have a power flucuation, my computer shuts down. I can only attribute this to that. I had it connected directly to a 12v source on my car, now I have a DC 12 5a power brick ran off an inverter. This PSU was a waste for me.
                            Now I am looking for an opus, my suggestion. get the opus avoid any problems, have a quality component. You wont need a seperate ITPS, and the opus can handle power flucuations from 8v to 19v. Good enough to survice a crank, even says on the opus website gauranteed to survive a crank. The 200-M is not designed for in car use, all though it is 12v, power spikes and drops may cause signicant damage. I was told this from a guy at mini-box. He reccommended there other power supply that is actually designed for in car use, but it is only 80w.
                            Sorry for the rant, just thought I would share my acquired knowledge to help anyone else avoid the mistakes I have made.
                            Of course other peoples experiences may have been different.
                            You can still have something if you have nothing

Comment

Well, I'm just looking @ price differences basically. $60 for 200w snap-on, $200 for 150w Opus.

If I can get the cheap one to work, I don't have to survive crank, I've been used to using an inverter. I just want to get away from the inverter, it overheats and then cuts out. Piece.
                              Tidder

Try RevFE

Comment

Working...
                              X