Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opus wont power up, wtf?! Help please!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Opus wont power up, wtf?! Help please!

    Hey everyone,

    I tried to but couldn't find anything so I guess I'll ask.

    I got my carputer installed, everything was working fine. Last night I was cruising around listening to mp3s and now this morning the computer wont power up at all. It did the same thing to me yesterday. Yesterday, i pulled it out, unplugged the harnesses and the fuse, plugged them back in and it worked. Today, nothing. I hooked up a multimeter to the power and ignition lines to ensure they worked and they did. I dont see the green status light flashing on the opus and it doesn't attempt to turn on. The power switch cable appears to be fine.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks,
    Chris
    2004 Ford Mustang Mach 1
    Specs: Epia M2-1000, 512mb ram, SB Audigy NX, Lilliput 7" Touchscreen, M2-ATX, DVD, 160gb HDD, gps, obdII, wifi, bluetooth, XM radio, HQCT and Logitech wireless gamepad.
    Install Status: DONE

    My XM FAQ

  • #2
    Hrmmm.... So your saying that the Power and Ign wires that are going into the power supply have power but the Light isn't coming on?

    Out of curiosity what Opus is it? the 150 or the 90? Have you checked the battery? maybe the voltage is to low so the opus is going into OFF mode to save you from having to jump the car.

    Comment


    • #3
      yeah that's what i'm saying :S

      its the 90w opus. The battery is putting out 12-14 volts steadily, so I doubt the opis is saving me from having to jump the car am I missing someting?
      2004 Ford Mustang Mach 1
      Specs: Epia M2-1000, 512mb ram, SB Audigy NX, Lilliput 7" Touchscreen, M2-ATX, DVD, 160gb HDD, gps, obdII, wifi, bluetooth, XM radio, HQCT and Logitech wireless gamepad.
      Install Status: DONE

      My XM FAQ

      Comment


      • #4
        well i just called opus and they basically just told me to remove the fuse fo ra few mins then put it back in.. tihs doesn't make any sense to me, do they expect me to do this daily or something if it works??
        2004 Ford Mustang Mach 1
        Specs: Epia M2-1000, 512mb ram, SB Audigy NX, Lilliput 7" Touchscreen, M2-ATX, DVD, 160gb HDD, gps, obdII, wifi, bluetooth, XM radio, HQCT and Logitech wireless gamepad.
        Install Status: DONE

        My XM FAQ

        Comment


        • #5
          well i went and tried that and it worked. now the question is, am i going to have to do this daily?? what would cause this? any ideas?

          Thanks,
          Chris
          2004 Ford Mustang Mach 1
          Specs: Epia M2-1000, 512mb ram, SB Audigy NX, Lilliput 7" Touchscreen, M2-ATX, DVD, 160gb HDD, gps, obdII, wifi, bluetooth, XM radio, HQCT and Logitech wireless gamepad.
          Install Status: DONE

          My XM FAQ

          Comment


          • #6
            possibly bad connection... on the fuse, cables or somewhere...
            I'll spout simplistic opinions for hours on end.
            Ridicule anyone who disagrees with me,
            and generally foster divisiveness,
            cynicism and lower level of public dialog!

            Comment


            • #7
              well after not happening for a week this happened again this morning. I tried removing the fuse for a bit like i did last time, nothing. Computer still wont boot up. Fuse is fine, connectoins are good. After I remove the fuse for a few mins, put it back in and plug in the wiring harness, i see the green led flash as I plug the harness in, but I dont get that standby flashing. Any ideas?

              Thanks,
              Chris
              2004 Ford Mustang Mach 1
              Specs: Epia M2-1000, 512mb ram, SB Audigy NX, Lilliput 7" Touchscreen, M2-ATX, DVD, 160gb HDD, gps, obdII, wifi, bluetooth, XM radio, HQCT and Logitech wireless gamepad.
              Install Status: DONE

              My XM FAQ

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by pyros
                well after not happening for a week this happened again this morning. I tried removing the fuse for a bit like i did last time, nothing. Computer still wont boot up. Fuse is fine, connectoins are good. After I remove the fuse for a few mins, put it back in and plug in the wiring harness, i see the green led flash as I plug the harness in, but I dont get that standby flashing. Any ideas?

                Thanks,
                Chris
                So it only flashes once?
                I'll spout simplistic opinions for hours on end.
                Ridicule anyone who disagrees with me,
                and generally foster divisiveness,
                cynicism and lower level of public dialog!

                Comment


                • #9
                  It's a bit obvious, but is your ground good ?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Sounds like a bad connection in the pigtail, sometimes the pins in the connector push out of place and don't make a perfect connection which shakes loose. Make sure the pins are fully pushed into place.
                    EPoX mATX SocketA w/onboard Geforce4MX / 512MB PC2700 / AthlonXP 1600
                    Lilliput / DVDrom / Opus 150W / WD 3.5" 160GB / SB Audigy NX
                    XP home / Road Runner / iGuidance 4.0

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      KaiTech: Its not a 'standby' flash, it just lights up for a quick second and fades out real quick when you plug in the wiring harness

                      Matthew230: I think so. I purchased an aftermarket radio wiring harness, so I'm using the ground off that (along with the ignition, and using the constant power for the lilliput)

                      pip: that's what I thought, but if that's the case why does the led briefly flash? It has to be receiving power if it lights up. I'll try that.

                      Just a thought also... it was working fine last night, if there was a bad connection the computer should have powered off, froze, or something. When I went to the car this morning is when it would not boot up. There was no standby power to the usb devices or anything either. The battery voltage on the car was a steady ~12+ volts, so I dont think the opus would have put itself in a protection mode or anything. I tihnk I'm leaning towards a loose ground or cable, damnit.
                      2004 Ford Mustang Mach 1
                      Specs: Epia M2-1000, 512mb ram, SB Audigy NX, Lilliput 7" Touchscreen, M2-ATX, DVD, 160gb HDD, gps, obdII, wifi, bluetooth, XM radio, HQCT and Logitech wireless gamepad.
                      Install Status: DONE

                      My XM FAQ

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by pyros
                        KaiTech: Its not a 'standby' flash, it just lights up for a quick second and fades out real quick when you plug in the wiring harness

                        Matthew230: I think so. I purchased an aftermarket radio wiring harness, so I'm using the ground off that (along with the ignition, and using the constant power for the lilliput)

                        pip: that's what I thought, but if that's the case why does the led briefly flash? It has to be receiving power if it lights up. I'll try that.

                        Just a thought also... it was working fine last night, if there was a bad connection the computer should have powered off, froze, or something. When I went to the car this morning is when it would not boot up. There was no standby power to the usb devices or anything either. The battery voltage on the car was a steady ~12+ volts, so I dont think the opus would have put itself in a protection mode or anything. I tihnk I'm leaning towards a loose ground or cable, damnit.
                        The power supply would do that if you pull too much on the 5V Standby rail... What does your system consist off? How many USB devices do you have? Remeber the 150W can only produce about 1A on STDBY.
                        I'll spout simplistic opinions for hours on end.
                        Ridicule anyone who disagrees with me,
                        and generally foster divisiveness,
                        cynicism and lower level of public dialog!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          only things running on the standby rail is the gps and my dlink wireless 802.11 dongle. The lilliput is also plugged in but I'm assuming if it is powered off it is not maintaining standby power to the usb, or am i wrong? And I am not using a 150W, I'm using a 90W Opus. If it did put itself in protection, how the hell do you get it out? :S

                          Thanks,
                          Chris
                          2004 Ford Mustang Mach 1
                          Specs: Epia M2-1000, 512mb ram, SB Audigy NX, Lilliput 7" Touchscreen, M2-ATX, DVD, 160gb HDD, gps, obdII, wifi, bluetooth, XM radio, HQCT and Logitech wireless gamepad.
                          Install Status: DONE

                          My XM FAQ

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by pyros
                            only things running on the standby rail is the gps and my dlink wireless 802.11 dongle. The lilliput is also plugged in but I'm assuming if it is powered off it is not maintaining standby power to the usb, or am i wrong? And I am not using a 150W, I'm using a 90W Opus. If it did put itself in protection, how the hell do you get it out? :S

                            Thanks,
                            Chris
                            What motherboard, and other devices are you using?
                            I'll spout simplistic opinions for hours on end.
                            Ridicule anyone who disagrees with me,
                            and generally foster divisiveness,
                            cynicism and lower level of public dialog!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I'm having the exact same problem. It didn't happen for a few weeks, and this morning it happened again. I asked OPUS about it and they couldn't offer me any real solutions. I have to yank the main fuse and then plug it back in.

                              OPUS told me that if the PS shuts down because of low voltage, it won't power back up until you pull the fuse and put it back in. In other words, if your battery dies and you get a boost from someone, it still won't power back up. Can someone confirm that? I'm pretty sure that when I first tested the OPUS, this was not the case.
                              Carputer progress meter: [-----|]
                              Carputer gadget meter: [--|---]

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X