Morex 3688 Case VS something with Opus

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Morex 3688 Case VS something with Opus

Ok, I am new to the hobbie, I did a good deal of searching around on the forums and everyone is great got lots of info. I am working out my setup and here is the first of my question marks.

I am looking at this 3688 Morex case that comes with their Power supply, seems pretty decent. But it looks like in addition to this I will want to use the CarNetix CNX-p1260 to regulate my 12vs right?

What does using an Opus over the Morex Power supply buy me? I have seen alot about this and alot of people say this will save me headaches? I dont care as much about price as much as doing the job right.

Is it that the Opus power supply will regulate Voltage without the need for the CNX-p1260?

Thanks for all your help

Yes, opus you could say is the total solution... Power regulation, shutdown control, and many other features. It pretty much integrates your computer with your car.
    I'll spout simplistic opinions for hours on end.
    Ridicule anyone who disagrees with me,
    and generally foster divisiveness,
    cynicism and lower level of public dialog!

Comment

Itps

Hi I use the Morex 3688 case.

Currently am using an inverter for the power (stupid), but i've just ordered an ITPS which i plan to use to power my Morex PSU. (Connected via 10A fuse to batt, to ACC and to ground). It's small enough to sit bekind my head unit (together with my FM modulator and currently my screen regulator).

It doesnt have any fancy startup/shutdown stuff like the opus, but it's only 20.

Comment

The Opus has the advantage that it has a higher power output, plus it's an all-in-one solution.

If you've got the Morex case, then the best thing to get to go with it is the Carnetix CNX-P1260

Garry
        Co-Developer of A.I.M.E.E
        www.aimee.cc

Comment

Can you just rip out the morex psu and put in an opus....? I'm sure someone on eGay would buy the old psu off you
          In da club....

ALIZEE WANTS YOU.....

(\__/)
          (='.'=)
          (")_(")
          Bunny's first poo
          __ U

Comment

Originally posted by Spaghetti
            Can you just rip out the morex psu and put in an opus....? I'm sure someone on eGay would buy the old psu off you
            You could possibly fit the Opus in there.

If you want/need the extra power, then go for the Opus. Otherwise go for the Carnetix.

Garry
            www.aimee.cc

Comment

Well it sounds Like Opus is the way to go here, I dont want to purchase another part which needs to be wired and mounted some place. I have very limited space, I am working with a 2001 Ford Mustang Cobra Vert. Space IS an issue. I dont mind spending the extra money if it will be an all in one solution.

I dont think I have the time or ability to make my own case, which case do you guys go with to fit the Opus in?

Comment

Well, I can speak for a Morex 2699 and say that the 90W Opus doesn't fit inside of it if a full sized (3.5") hard drive is used. With a 2.5" (laptop) hdd, it could fit nicely.

Comment

An opus 90W PS won't fit into that case. If you get an Opus then you'll be mounting it outside the case and you would also have to make a cut out in the case for the ATX power connector. Just get a Carnetix P1260 and be done with it. It's much easier and cleaner if you are going with a Morex case w/ a built in PS.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremyp111
                    An opus 90W PS won't fit into that case. If you get an Opus then you'll be mounting it outside the case and you would also have to make a cut out in the case for the ATX power connector. Just get a Carnetix P1260 and be done with it. It's much easier and cleaner if you are going with a Morex case w/ a built in PS.
                    Well I am not married to the Morex case, I am willing to go with something else, just wondering what everyone else does with the Opus.

Comment

if you already have the morex psu you may as well get a carnetix
                      Signature: [==||========] 20% complete

Comment

Originally posted by Nic
                        if you already have the morex psu you may as well get a carnetix
                        Nah, I dont have anything I am just working out my setup, I have not purchased anything yet.

Comment

ok well if you get a morex case you may as well use a carnetix instead a morex + a carnetix is pretty much the same as an opus, only cheaper and less power
                          Signature: [==||========] 20% complete

Comment

Originally posted by Nic
                            ok well if you get a morex case you may as well use a carnetix instead a morex + a carnetix is pretty much the same as an opus, only cheaper and less power
                            Ya I agree with you, the only reason why I was looking at the Opus over the Morex/Carnetix is the space issue.

Like I said, my mustang has very little room to do anything with. The trunk is TINY due to the convertable. And in that trunk I will need to fit two amps and a 12 inch sub for my audio system. That doesnt leave much room to mount the ITX case and in addition to that the Carnetix. I cant even fit my sun glasses in my glove box so I cant do much with that. And the cabin doesnt offer much in the way of space either.

I am just thinking the all in one solution that Opus offers will save me some space because every inch counts.

So my question now is, does everyone spend the money on the Opus case which seems to me to be over priced or will the Opus PSU fit in any ITX case?

Comment

I don't know ANYONE who has purchased an Opus case. However, people have managed to squeeze the Opus in other places.

One advantage of the Carnetix is you can put it literally anywhere, you just need to run 4 wires to the PC. You could put them at opposite ends of the car and it would likely be fine

Garry
                              www.aimee.cc

Comment

Working...
                              X