How much of a PS do i need?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much of a PS do i need?

I'm contemplating once again building a carputer for my car, '97 Saturn SL. I'd like to build a fully functioning computer, mainly for playing .mp3's, but also for playing video, putting Streets & Trips on, along with other programs that would be useful to have in the car.

I've got a 3-year old Dell that works great i'd like to use. It has a 600mHz Intel Celeron, and i'll proalby be running a standard 24x CD drive and a 40-80 gig IDE hard drive for my stuff. Along with a decent sound card and cheap (like $30-$40) video card capable of running a small touch screen monitor.

How much wattage should i need for this setup? I'd rather not buy the 200w Opus DC-DC ps because its expensive, and i'm on a tight budget. Which one of the psu's listed for sale here (or a better place to buy them) would be adequate for my setup?
    My Dell does have the crappy propretarity PS, so i'll have to get an adaptor to run a regular ATX ps on it.
    '72 Chevy C10 pickup....built 350/TH350
    '97 Saturn SL....38mpg daily driver

Wattage Calculator?

Anyone? Anyone?

Comment

umm Opus doesnt make a 200w power supply.. if they do.. please post a link..
      Pentium 4m 1.5GHz|MB896|Roadie Extreme|XM-Direct|Rikaline 6010|T-View 7"|Streetdeck|160gb Western Digital|1Gb DDR2-533 Ram

Comment

Sorry, meant 150 watts. The calculator says 148 watts....looks like i'd need the 150w PS then. So much for saving cash and getting away with a 90w model.

Comment

EH, that celeron will suck up a lot of juice. Your also talking about adding a soundcard and video card. If you can cut down on these devices does your ssytem have onboard sound ? or on board video, if so.. use these components, your computer is powerful enough to handle what your going to throw at it while on the road without having to modify it too much.

To play a dvd you need a 333mhz with 64 MB of ram.. no video graphics card is needed.
          Progress [I will seriously never be done!]
          Via EPIA MII
          512MB RAM
          OEM GPS (embedded)
          nLite WinXP pro on
          1GB Extreme III CF card
          Carnetix 1260 startup/ DC-DC regulator
          Software: Still, re-Writing my existing front end in .Net

Comment

The computer has onboard video, but i unless i can find a low priced VGA monitor i will have to get a vid card with a TV-out to run a monitor on. Or it may be cheaper just to buy a VGA monitor. I don't know yet, need to do the reasearch.
            It already has a low-quality sound card in it, and lacks onboard sound, so i'd like to put in a slightly better one. If i watch any video it will be off the hard drive, if this goes the way i'd like it to i'd use the CD rom only for updating my music and video libraries.

Comment

My Epia MII -12000 has a RCA video out on board.. the Quality is not as good as VGA though...

the beast is to just spend the money and get a good touch screen monitor.... its worth the money.. it really is
              Pentium 4m 1.5GHz|MB896|Roadie Extreme|XM-Direct|Rikaline 6010|T-View 7"|Streetdeck|160gb Western Digital|1Gb DDR2-533 Ram

Comment

Don't think about using a RCA or S-video monitor as the main source for your screen. You'll hate your life itsw a waste of money, cancle that from your plans and thinking about getting a lilliput or Xenarc monitor (vga)

As far as "bad sound" Stereo sound is stereo sound.. There's no better option its all the same comming out from the mini stero jack.
                Progress [I will seriously never be done!]
                Via EPIA MII
                512MB RAM
                OEM GPS (embedded)
                nLite WinXP pro on
                1GB Extreme III CF card
                Carnetix 1260 startup/ DC-DC regulator
                Software: Still, re-Writing my existing front end in .Net

Comment

Originally posted by lukecp
                  I've got a 3-year old Dell that works great i'd like to use. It has a 600mHz Intel Celeron, and i'll proalby be running a standard 24x CD drive and a 40-80 gig IDE hard drive for my stuff. Along with a decent sound card and cheap (like $30-$40) video card capable of running a small touch screen monitor.
                  I would recommand the OPUS 150 watt for this setup. http://www.mp3car.com/store/product_...products_id=32

Read more about it here http://www.mp3car.com/products/SFX_D...uide-Rev_C.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by IntellaWorks
                    As far as "bad sound" Stereo sound is stereo sound.. There's no better option its all the same comming out from the mini stero jack.
                    so all these years creative etc have been ripping us off? I never really needed to replace my isa sound blaster 16?

Comment

Working...
                    X