Several Opus complaints...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Several Opus complaints...

So i've had my carputer, opus and all running for about 5 months, and all is well... except for on complaint,

my opus.

the automatic start is fine(flawless), but everything else is getting really really finicky.

1. I have it set on the 10 minute shut-off-->hibernation, but if i leave the car for even 3+ minutes and come back, the system does not survive the crank to restart the car. (the screen goes all pixely and everything freezes so I have to cut power on and off and do a full reboot).

2. A lot of the time, the system won't even last the 10 minutes, and will shut everything down automatically within only minutes(sometimes seconds) of turning off the cars engine.

3. I've only had this happen like 3 times... but it's becoming more frequent as of late: It will just go shut-down-->hibernation, in the middle of a trip while i'm driving somewhere...

My opus was one of the first one in the orders crafted by the new Assembler (thread reference )... that might have something to do with it.

But does anyone have any ideas for all these problems? ANy solutions?
    thanks
    mobo $130 ; 150wOpus-$200 ; 256mb pc2700 -$10 ; 120gb HDD 7200-$70 ; Lilliput TS 7"-$265 ; USB LAN-Free AR ; Rikaline 6010 GPS-$34 ; ShuttleXpress-$37
    Total = $746....Carputer = Priceless

I would suspect the battery before pointing at the OPUS!

How old is the battery?
    TruckinMP3
    D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

its a 2002 subaru impreza stock
      mobo $130 ; 150wOpus-$200 ; 256mb pc2700 -$10 ; 120gb HDD 7200-$70 ; Lilliput TS 7"-$265 ; USB LAN-Free AR ; Rikaline 6010 GPS-$34 ; ShuttleXpress-$37

Comment

I would say it is quite possibly your battery. Depending on how often you use the car/computer, leaving it on repeatedly for 10 minutes and starting the car will cause wear and tear on your battery.

Garry
        Co-Developer of A.I.M.E.E
        www.aimee.cc

Comment

hookup a voltmeter and test how much power is getting to the opus during a crank
          '98 Explorer Sport
          http://mp3car.zcentric.com (down atm)
          AMD 800mhz 192megs RAM 60gig hard drive 9 inch widescreen VGA
          80% done

Comment

times 5(or whatever we're at) on checking the battery. I don't even have an opus and can see from your decription of the problem that this is either a battery issue or alternator issue. Since the car is fairly new I'd say battery. It seems that the voltage from the battery isn't enough with the car off for the opus to keep the system going. I believe the opus has a low voltage cutoff where it will start the shut down process. Seems like this is the case when it's not lasting the full 10 minutes. This would also explain why it isn't surviving crank.
            Georgia Area Meet Photos

Comment

Be sure you have a good thick wire for the opus going directly to the battery...

-Mario

Comment

so if the problem is the battery... is my only solution buying a new one?

Comment

unfortunately, yes.
                  Never let the truth get in the way of a good story

Comment

Originally posted by cadence117
                    so if the problem is the battery... is my only solution buying a new one?
                    No, start with the wire from the battery to the OPUS. What size is it?
                    TruckinMP3
                    D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

Its your battery. Mine does the same thing. It detects a low voltage and automatically shuts down. I think it is set at 10v. Seems low but its pulling a constant 12+ amps. Plus if you have a stereo and any things else running off your battery its (voltage) going to dip and the Opus is going to shut down.
                      2007 Tahoe
                      Opus with iBase 896 and Pentium M 735 Transflective Xenarc Alpine DVA-9861, PXA-H900, Sinfoni 45X2 (2) 90x2, Genesis Dual Mono, JL 1000/1 (2), Focal Be tweeters, ScanSpeak Revelator Mids, Dynaudio MW170, Dayton 12" Ref.

My Install

Comment

check your wire first. It should be nice and thick from the battery to the opus, probably 8 or 10 guage minimum. Then if that doesn't work check the battery (you should probably upgrade to a deep cycle anyway since running the computer with the car off even for 10 minutes can discharge the battery quite quickly and multiple discharges like this will kill a regular battery).

Comment

should we be using a deep cycle battery?
                          like an Optima Yellow Top?

Comment

If you don't have any problems while the car is running your wire is probably fine. Remember the current draw is going to be the same power off/on. Why don't you just set it up the go into standby on power off?
                            2007 Tahoe
                            Opus with iBase 896 and Pentium M 735 Transflective Xenarc Alpine DVA-9861, PXA-H900, Sinfoni 45X2 (2) 90x2, Genesis Dual Mono, JL 1000/1 (2), Focal Be tweeters, ScanSpeak Revelator Mids, Dynaudio MW170, Dayton 12" Ref.

My Install

Comment

I have been using an Optima Red Top for over a year now with no problem. I would definitly suggest it. Its not a deep cycle but high quality none the less. The Yellow Tops don't seem to last that long as a starting battery. Now if you are going to be adding a second battery, make it a Yellow Top.
                              2007 Tahoe

My Install

Comment

Working...
                              X