No announcement yet.

Running Opus 150 without internal fan?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running Opus 150 without internal fan?

Got my system up and running this weekend and boy is that fan loud. My install is inside the center consule area with plenty of room. I belive my system is rather easy on my supply.

MK1200, 512ram, 3.5 Hard, Slim DVD, Audigy NX usb, GPS USB, 4 usb port, Lilliput on 12 rail, Amp turn on 12 rail.

I would like to uplug fan on supply. Any opinions on this.

Thanks
    Carputer in design stage...
    Currently working on Lilliput In Dash Install...
    MII 12000 + 512Mb Ram + Panasonic Slim DVD, CDRW + Lilliput 7" + Opus 150W + 3.5 120gb Drive... most parts on order!!

If you have good airflow already and you've taken it out of its case then you can do without it. The heat buildup if you unplug the fan & leave it in its case will probably reduce the efficiency of the supply. It could overheat.
    EPoX mATX SocketA w/onboard Geforce4MX / 512MB PC2700 / AthlonXP 1600
    Lilliput / DVDrom / Opus 150W / WD 3.5" 160GB / SB Audigy NX
    XP home / Road Runner / iGuidance 4.0

Comment

The power supply is still in its case. I was thinking of removing
      the fan and its cover and leave it open. Its protected by center
      consule.

If it does run hot, will the supply just shut down and give a trouble
      code? If so, I could always try it if I dont run this risk of damaging
      anything.

Thanks
      Carputer in design stage...
      Currently working on Lilliput In Dash Install...
      MII 12000 + 512Mb Ram + Panasonic Slim DVD, CDRW + Lilliput 7" + Opus 150W + 3.5 120gb Drive... most parts on order!!

Comment

I guess that'd be a question for Opus. I suspect that the hotter it gets the less eficient it'll be. I don't know if there is a thermal cut-out on board. I'd recommend using a big PC-case style fan (quieter) to move air from outside through the compartment the PC & power supply is installed. A bigger, slower fan will be a lot quieter and still move as much (if not more) air.
        EPoX mATX SocketA w/onboard Geforce4MX / 512MB PC2700 / AthlonXP 1600
        Lilliput / DVDrom / Opus 150W / WD 3.5" 160GB / SB Audigy NX
        XP home / Road Runner / iGuidance 4.0

Comment

a 120 mm panaflo on 7 volts would be a near silent solution, an 80mm 'flo if space is a problem (but the CFM is not great at 7v on 80s)

Comment

This post is just food for thought..........

I have the Opus Shuttle 150 and it does NOT have a fan. Out of curiousity, I e-mailed Opus about this because I know their other 150 PS has a fan. They told me that the aluminum housing used on the Shuttle model to hold the assembly together was good enough for heat dissipation as the aluminum acts like a big heat sink.

Maybe you could make something up to mimic the shuttle and dissipate heat?

Troy
            Done!

If you're into fishing, checkout my website! http://www.pennsylvaniaanglers.com

Comment

Try the fan with 5 or 7 volts instead of 12. Or replace the fan with one that is not as noisy.

I would not recommend running without a fan.
              TruckinMP3
              D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

Or use a a fan which changes it's speed dependant on temperature.

I bought some 80mm ones off E-bay for my amps, they were less than 5.

That way you needn't worry and they'll only be as noisey as they need to be.

Comment

Working...
                X