Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quickest Way to Tap a 12V line in my console?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quickest Way to Tap a 12V line in my console?

Monitor just came in and I'd like to see if I can install it myself. I'll be using the monitor along with a Kenwood headunit in a 2x single DIN setup. The monitor comes with 4 wires (+12V, GND, Reverse Switch, Parking Switch). Of course, I won't be using the Parking Switch. Anyway, what's the quickest and easiest way to tap into the +12V source and GND? Monitor looks like it has a fuse box attached to the +12V wire. Do I need to attach another in-line fuse?

I have a 2000 Ford Mustang if that matters.
    2006 Rav4 + iPod, still CarPCless

The kenwood should have an amp lead coming out of it that's +12v. You can use that.
    Georgia Area Meet Photos

Comment

Check your documentation to see if hooking up to the cars '12v' is OK...the cars electrics actually run at about 13.8v. If the monitor needs regulated 12v then you'll need a 12v supply from ratshack or similar.
      EPoX mATX SocketA w/onboard Geforce4MX / 512MB PC2700 / AthlonXP 1600
      Lilliput / DVDrom / Opus 150W / WD 3.5" 160GB / SB Audigy NX
      XP home / Road Runner / iGuidance 4.0

Comment

watch out some amp turn on leads can only handle 300MA coming from a HU
        肚子笑痛了
        S60 Install

Comment

Originally posted by pip
          Check your documentation to see if hooking up to the cars '12v' is OK...the cars electrics actually run at about 13.8v. If the monitor needs regulated 12v then you'll need a 12v supply from ratshack or similar.
          The monitor is car-friendly. It says it can handle 12V-14.4VDC.

Comment

Originally posted by falconey
            The kenwood should have an amp lead coming out of it that's +12v. You can use that.
            What do I do about the ground (GND)?

Comment

dont use the 12v amp line coming out of your cdplayer!
              as cjdillin said thats only designed to switch on a realy to power the amp.. and not much more than that..

u can split the power wire going to the cd player for the power. and the same with the ground..

its best to ground alot of things to the same place, to avoid ground loops.
              View My Blog

Click for 2GB FREE on-line storage!

Comment

Originally posted by SwapMeet
                What do I do about the ground (GND)?
                You can just attach it to the body of the car. I just use bolts ont he body when I need to do a ground.

Comment

Originally posted by djmickyg
                  as cjdillin said thats only designed to switch on a realy to power the amp.. and not much more than that..

u can split the power wire going to the cd player for the power. and the same with the ground..

Hmm... remembering basic physics.... splitting wire = parallel circuit = same voltage across the parallel circuits. Current will change though, depending on resistance. So I guess that splitting the power wire won't harm either my monitor or my head unit? What's the best way to split the cable? Solder it or use a cap connector?

Comment

Originally posted by djmickyg

Good suggestion about the ground loops. I'll probably use two distributor blocks down the line, one for outputting power to my Opus/Inverter/Amp, and another one to collect grounds from the Opus/Inverter/Amp.

Comment

Originally posted by SwapMeet
                      Hmm... remembering basic physics.... splitting wire = parallel circuit = same voltage across the parallel circuits. Current will change though, depending on resistance. So I guess that splitting the power wire won't harm either my monitor or my head unit? What's the best way to split the cable? Solder it or use a cap connector?
                      soldering the always the best option. but it take effort.
                      clips are good but they can fall off.

you may want to install some sort of noise filter on the motors power line to get a better picture without fuzzy lines.. your monitor might already have on built into
                      View My Blog

Click for 2GB FREE on-line storage!

Comment

Working...
                      X