Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I start my amps from the pc at boot???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I start my amps from the pc at boot???

I have to find a way possibly through the serial port or usb so that I can trigger a relay to start my amps and preamps @ full boot. Because of my ground configuration, I use a open ground loop which gives me engine noise only when the pc is not booted on full boot it will go away. Must be that the pc is on a fixed ground loop.
    Epia M1000 1.2gig, Toshiba 40gb HD, Itronix 60gb HD, 512ram,PCR, Audigy2zs, 2 Xenarc 7" , FRODOPLAYER Trying RR frontend , [email protected]/w Harrison labs amps & Caps, Focal & MB-Quart midrange, Diamond Audio D6 Subs, Mb Quart Tweets, 2-Audiocontrol three.1 !

Well you could program something using components from phidgets.com OR you could hook up the 5V line from your power supply to a relay to switch the amps on. This way, they will turn on when the PC turns on.

AdamR
    PROJECT ST34LTH : A 100% integrated car computer with fulltime wireless internet and audiophile-grade sound and exquisite video in a Black on Black Mercedes-Benz S500

Comment

Im sure you could just use any +12V wire from a power connector to your remote wire, that way when your power supply is on, it turns on your amps.
      2011 Nissan Frontier SL
      AMD X3 2.2 | M4-ATX | 16Gb SSD | 2GB DDR3-1333 | MSI GF615M-P33 MB
      OBDPROS USB | BU-303 GPS l LILLIPUT TS | Car2PC adapter | XM Direct | USB Dual band N with custom mag-mount antenna.

Comment

....but he wants it to turn on after it has booted, not during
        2005 Ford Focus ST

Comment

If you want it after then I would say to program something that loads on boot and uses a phidget USB relay
          PROJECT ST34LTH : A 100% integrated car computer with fulltime wireless internet and audiophile-grade sound and exquisite video in a Black on Black Mercedes-Benz S500

Comment

I'm using a DTR control program from this forum.. ( for DTR)

I've wired my serial port, to my amps remote.. This way, the amp turns on when windows is done booting, and shuts down the amp when the machine shuts down..

Comment

ok that will work I tried a relay with a 5v trigger which will work so now I need to figure out what wire on the power supply triggers power at full boot?
              Epia M1000 1.2gig, Toshiba 40gb HD, Itronix 60gb HD, 512ram,PCR, Audigy2zs, 2 Xenarc 7" , FRODOPLAYER Trying RR frontend , [email protected]/w Harrison labs amps & Caps, Focal & MB-Quart midrange, Diamond Audio D6 Subs, Mb Quart Tweets, 2-Audiocontrol three.1 !

Comment

None. However, you can buy a variable turnon delay from any car stereo store or online that will take the incoming signal (I'd use a 12v wire from your PS, not 5v) and wait however long you set it for (from 2 seconds to 30+) and then it turns the amps on. You can build it yourself if you'd rather but it's about a $20USD solution if you buy it as a unit.
                2005 Subaru Legacy GT

AMD Sempron 3100, Biostar K8NHA PRO mobo, 512 meg DDR, WD 200 gig SATA, Opus 150, Xenarc
                JBL GTi 6.5 fr, JBL 5.25 rr, (3) JBL 75x2 & 1 1200x1 amps, PA MOFO 12 sub

Comment

IonDokk, one alternative is to use a time delay relay switch. That's what I use in my car.
                  EPIA Nehemiah M10k, M1-ATX, 20GB 4200 RPM 2.5", 256MB RAM, Win XP Home, Gyration RF Keyboard & Mouse, Zoltrix Nightingale Optical 4.1 PCI Sound Card, Lilliput 619GL-70NP, XM-PCR w/ optical upgrade, Garmin GPS-25LVS, Microsoft MN-710 USB Wireless NIC

Comment

Read about RC delay circuits: http://www.northcountryradio.com/PDFs/column008.pdf
                    System status: in progress

Comment

i think he just wants to avoid the Thump from the pc.. in which case getting 12v from the power supply to turn on the amps would work..
                      Pentium 4m 1.5GHz|MB896|Roadie Extreme|XM-Direct|Rikaline 6010|T-View 7"|Streetdeck|160gb Western Digital|1Gb DDR2-533 Ram

Comment

There is a product that is sold on ebay that is a shutdown controller. Search for "carputer" on eBay or search for a seller "tgman17". The seller markets a shutdown controller for use with inverters, atx power supplies and amps. The circuitry turns on/off amps/inverters in some sort of logical delay that will enable you to get around the 'thump' you hear if you turn on the amps when the computer starts.

-HD

Comment

Well I must say what a great response. I really am looking for something very specific, I want a 12v or 5v powered line at the time that windows shows the cursor, it really dosen't need to be at full boot i've realized.

But a delay timer is not the answer its a bandaid... Because it will only work properly if everytime I turn on that pc it is the exact same amount of time to boot, or else I will be waiting for an extended delay most of the time as I use hibernation most of the time. It's not a thump it is a ground wine that is caused only before boot. I Use an open loop Ground on my audio system which works great after boot to cut noise..So now I need to fix this problem. The speakers that I use are very sensitive and xpensive so... no noise ever that's the goal here!

I talked to my computer wiz at work and he suggested that I use a serial or parellel port and write some lines of code to do some crap I just don't understand. So I'm reaching out to you expert guy's in hopes to figure this out? As I am only a Caraudio expert/computer tinkerer.

So write me up some lines or something or point me in the right direction PLEAZE!

Comment

Someone must have an Idea?

Comment

Originally posted by IonDokk
                              Someone must have an Idea?
                              It sounds like you need a serial port relay controller like this:

serial relay controller

It only takes a couple of lines of code to control it. You can throw the program into the startup folder and trigger the relay on startup.
                              Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                              I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                              Want to:
                              -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                              -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Working...
                              X