Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Universal DC-DC InCar Notebook Adaptor

Hello

I am looking to buy an in car laptop adaptor for my compaq m300, I have been looking at one of these universal adaptors on eBay. My laptop wants 18.5v input but the adaptor outputs ... 18, 19, 20 ... , will using 18 or 19 be ok? and which one would be best 18 or 19?

Thanks for your help, been away from the scene for a while now!!

Hi

I see there has been no reply so I thought i would try and give you more info, I am looking to buy a universal car charger for my laptop, will the below one do it?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...723949365&rd=1

I have a Compaq M300 which requires 18.5v input, this adaptor does not do 18.5v but does do 18v and 19v, with one of thoose be ok?

Thanks!!

Comment

It might work, but you don't mention the current output of the laptop power adaptor, so we don't know if the one on ebay will work.

However, a small inverter and the adaptor that came w/ the laptop would work.

KyferEz
      TheCarPCStore.com - Power Controllers (SDC), Inverters, Tank Circuit, GPS, OBDII, CarPCs, and more!
      PSU Wattage Calculator
      Electronics Calculators
      Copper Wire Data

Comment

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...412F05C989A88B
        The MC of Florida Car PC Meets
        CAR:2001 Ford Crown Victoria
        PC: Acer EEE 900HA with Win7 with CF 2.0.
        Memory:1G
        Drives:160gig
        WI-FI:Cingular
        GPS:IG2k9
        Screen:Xenarc 700TSV
        The Florida Meets Thread

Comment

Hi KyferEz,

The output is 18.5v which matches the laptops input. What would happen by sending say 19v through it?

I have an inverter but want to replace it with this option for the usual reasons but dont want to send lots on an original in car adaptor.

Comment

mattsmith999,

likely the laptop will operate safely at either 18 or 19 volts. There is a possibility 18 volts would result in instability, but it is unlikely. 19 volts likely will be ok as well, but the laptop will produce slightly more heat. There is a very small possibility of damage, but if it was me, I'd give it a go (althought I'd start at the 18 volts and only if 18 volts didn't work would I try the 19volts).

You still didn't say anything about current requirements of the laptop. 3.5 amps from the one on ebay may not be enough. For example, my laptop needs 3.16 amps so it would just barely work for mine...

KyferEz
            TheCarPCStore.com - Power Controllers (SDC), Inverters, Tank Circuit, GPS, OBDII, CarPCs, and more!
            PSU Wattage Calculator
            Electronics Calculators
            Copper Wire Data

Comment

2.7amps so I guess that would be ok?

Comment

you are fine,go ahead and buy it....dont forget an ITPS sequencer from mp3carSTORE
                support mp3car store
                DICE Los Angeles
                ]

Comment

Ok, you might want to move this to the newb section after this question but why do I need a ITPS sequencer? Just to support mp3car.com or do I actully need it?

Thanks!

Comment

Well you would need to open the laptop a bit, or at least jack out teh power button and atach the 2 wires from the ITPS, ITPS tuens your laptop on when you put your key in, and turns it off, or hibernates it when you take it out.....for more info search the forums...this is old news
                    DICE Los Angeles
                    ]

Comment

Thanks for the info mate, I have been away from the scene for a while now and lost track! Thanks for your help.

Comment

Actually, ITPS does more than you need. You may think of getting a seperate power controller. There are quite a few out there.

KyferEz
                        PSU Wattage Calculator
                        Electronics Calculators
                        Copper Wire Data

Comment

If it's a Compaq Armada M300 search on ebay for models 33173, 33073, 33146, 33051.

Click Here for notebook compatibility
                          `
                          ,,`,,
                          ,,`,,
                          ``,,`,,` `
                          ,,`,,
                          ,,`,,
                          `
                          `

Comment

This can actually be usefull for more then just that. Not sure how these DC-DC regulators are working, but if your lucky enough to get your hands on the power supply built inside the laptop, you may even have yourself a full dc-dc sol'n for the Via PC's
                            Mark

Car'Puter Project
                            - Xenarc 700TSV
                            - MSI RS482M-IL Mobo + AMD Turion MT-32 (25W)
                            - 1x 256MB Corsair XMMS DDR400
                            - M2-ATX
                            - Belkin 802.11G W-Nic
                            - Garmin 15H GPS
                            - WinXP SP2 (NLited)

Comment

Working...
                            X