Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powering PC With Power Button Instead of Automatic Power

Yo guys,

This is what I want to do: I want to be able to power up my car pc from the dash instead of it automatically powering up, this is because I have a few family members that do not like the all the "light". haha....Well anyways can someone help me how to do the wiring now this is what I am thinking:

Run power to a distribution block in the trunk, from that run power to the amp and to the car pc. The only problem I am thinking of is what will the wire that originally should go to the ignition wire up to?

Thanks guys..

can't you simply use the usual power button, and use whatever power converter you use only to power the unit, not controlling it?
    -Mars

Comment

just put a momentary switch in the cabin, and run two wires to the PC, connect them to the pwr switch pins on the motherboard. That's what I have done. managed to get a BMW switch so it looks OEM, check my website for PICS

Comment

I did the momentary switch thing. Make sure it's an NO switch (Normally Open) and not an NC switch (Normally Closed). I made that stupid mistake the first time I tried it.

P.S. Don't worry about hooking up the ignition wire. Just connect the momentary switch to the Power switch jumper on your motherboard.
        Carputer progress meter: [-----|]
        Carputer gadget meter: [--|---]

Comment

Originally posted by legend5761
          Yo guys,

This is what I want to do: I want to be able to power up my car pc from the dash instead of it automatically powering up, this is because I have a few family members that do not like the all the "light". haha....Well anyways can someone help me how to do the wiring now this is what I am thinking:

Run power to a distribution block in the trunk, from that run power to the amp and to the car pc. The only problem I am thinking of is what will the wire that originally should go to the ignition wire up to?

Thanks guys..

what power supply are you using?
          Signature: [==||========] 20% complete

Comment

I also ran two wires from my motherboard to the front for a switch. i also put my inverter on a switch. i know its kidna repetitive but oh well...

Comment

I am running a Opus 150W PSU. My ideal solution would be to figure out the wiring so that I can manually turn the computer on with a press of a buttion and iit will automatically turn off when I shut the car off.

Comment

what i have done is used a 3 way switch at the front of my car, the switch is on the ignition line that heads to the boot which controls the computer and my amps, if the switch is in position 1 it just acts like a normal ignition wire, position 2 is always on, and position 3 is always off. perhaps you could do something simmilar
                Signature: [==||========] 20% complete

Comment

yup agree with NIC,, what i have done is simply add a switch to the IGN wire that supplys the opus,, then if i want the PC to stay off when the ignis on i simply use the switch and turn it off..
                  Nitrous'd Lexus IS300 Carputer...

Comment

So you want the PC turn have a manual turn-on, but an automatic shutdown? That's a little tricky. You need a shutdown controller that powers down but not up, and that doesn't exist. Without designing your own shutdown controller, the only thing I can suggest is putting in a kill switch. Instead of running the ACC power directly to whatever it is that triggers your bootup (like the OPUS), add a toggle switch. That way you can trick your setup into thinking the car is still turned off. Then when you want to power it up, you just turn the switch on and it will send the ACC power to your system, causing it to boot.

If you can take that concept and build a small circuit to automatically do this, you're all set.

Comment

Originally posted by Nic
                      what i have done is used a 3 way switch at the front of my car, the switch is on the ignition line that heads to the boot which controls the computer and my amps, if the switch is in position 1 it just acts like a normal ignition wire, position 2 is always on, and position 3 is always off. perhaps you could do something simmilar
                      Bingo.

Easiest way to do it IMO
                      Co-Developer of A.I.M.E.E
                      www.aimee.cc

Comment

What I did

This is what I did... I don't know about auto shutdown
                        http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=37023
                        Kimi ga kawareba, Seikaimo kawaru!

Comment

I got an idea, tell me what you guys think...its pretty simple.

I install a regular switch that powers the Opus. The switch will get its power from a distribution block that is going to be used in the trunk. Since this is what will power the opus I don't need to run any kind of ignition wire or anything to the Opus. Now what kind of switch I need is what I don't know. I would like to use something like a regular computer switch like this one:

Switch

If I use a switch like this, that it wouldn't be a problem for the Opus to power down the computer. What do you guys think?

Comment

A computer switch for an ATX case is a momentary push button switch. It is in an Off (open) state 99.99% of the time. When you press it, it is in an On (closed) state. As soon as you remove your finger, it's back to the open state again. So in a nutshell the momentary switch sends a quick pulse to the PC which triggers an event.

The button you posted looks like a standard on-off switch (can't tell from the picture or description). You can't hook that up to the motherboard. The only two possibilities are for cutting the main power or controlling your Accessory-In power for the OPUS.

Using the switch to kill the main power isn't adviseable because you can't do a clean shutdown with it. You'd have to wait for the PC to shutdown normally before you kill the power.

The best idea is to put the switch on your Accessory-In. You can leave the switch in the off possition 24-7 until you are ready to use the PC. When you are done using the PC, you turn the switch off and the PC will shut down cleanly. The nice thing about this is even if you forget to turn the switch off, your PC will still shut down after the car is off.

Accessory power
                            --------------/ ----------------- ACC-in on OPUS (blue wire)
                            on-off switch ^

+12 volts
                            --------------------------------- 12volt input on OPUS (red wire)

Ground
                            --------------------------------- Ground for on OPUS (black wire)

Comment

Use a relay and a momentary button.

If you set it up like this, the Opus will not recieve any power from the ACC wire, until the pushbutton is pressed. Then the relay stays "latched" until the ACC wire is powered down.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X