Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• car-puter won't power on

G'day.

I'm setting up my first car-puter atm, and have hit a sticky patch. I'm running an old p3 500 with a 185W PSU (only HD, integrated graphics and sound connected) off a 300W inverter. The inverter is grounded directly to bare metal on the chasis though a holde for the driver's seat. I chucked the case in the rear seat just to try it out (screen is composite lilliput powered via cig lighter if it makes any difference), plugged it into the inverter, swithched it all on, and fisrt time worked like a charm.

I shut it all down to go run some errands, and half an hour later I wanted to have a listen for noise in the audio, press the power button, nothing happens. The PSU is emitting a slight clicking noise when the inverter switch is flicked too.

I took the computer back inside and hooked it up to mains, and it worked perfectly. I've done a but couldn't find anything. Help for a n00b anyone?

Cheers,

Donno

Does the inverter beep? Well, does the inverter has low power warning beep?
    I sound like there is NOT enought power to turn the inverter on.
    Try to start the car then turn the computer/inverter on to see what happen.
    2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
    89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
    Y2K Accord Dell GX150
    RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
    EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

Thanks for the ideas MatrixPC. Had a bit more of a fiddle today, and here's what's happening. Its rather interminnent. It booted first time this morning, engine off. Shut it down, started the engine, didn't work. I left it for 15 minutes, came back, started the engine, computer booted fine. Shut it down, engine off, tried to boot it again, wouldn't boot. Waited 15 minutes, worked perfectly fine. So I have to wait about 15minutes between booting with the engine on/off.

If the inverter has been off for a while, and I flick an inline switch (inverter always at on position) it gives a little chirp, but thats it, no more.

Cheers.

Comment

It sounds like your inverter is the problem, or the power connetions for the inverter. Are you running the +12v directly to your battery?
        Carputer progress meter: [-----|]
        Carputer gadget meter: [--|---]

Comment

Try turning the inverter switch off then on again.

Sounds like the low battery power cut out is . . . . cutting out.

You need to switch it off and then back on to reset it.

Comment

I talked to a mate and he seems to think that the inverter may be supplying too much current, and the PSU shuts down to protect itself, and takes about 15mins to reset. Could this be a possibility?

Cheers

Comment

I don't think supplying too much current is the case because the PSU only use what it needs to do the job. How much current does the inverter can output compare to what on the wall (house plug)? I am sure the wall can supply much more current than the inverter in the car does.
              2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
              89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
              Y2K Accord Dell GX150
              RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
              EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

Hmm, good point. I'm thinking of along the lines of it going into a steady state. I'm wiring a switch into the dash as soon as some wire I ordered turns up. I'll have to have a fiddle with grounding the switch. Cheers.

Comment

When your PC doesn't boot, have you tried plugging something else into the inverter? The next time it doesn't boot, plug something else in like a desk lamp.

As far as too much current goes, your inverter isn't "pushing" power. It merely provides power.
                  Carputer progress meter: [-----|]
                  Carputer gadget meter: [--|---]

Comment

me too!!

i have the same problem....have to wait about 15 min to turn computer on after i shut it down. if i dont i just hear a clicking sound. i have a switch between the line directly from the battery to the inverter which is always kept on and i extended the switch in the inverter to my dash. even if i kill the batter supply to the inverter i still have to wait 15 min.

ill try and plug something else into the inverter nest time.
                    MY CARPC

Comment

This is the same problem i'm having, has anyone worked out what the problem is? because i cant figure it out for the life of me.

I think it might be something to do with a charge building up, and it takes time to disapate.
                      Because when i fiddle around in the boot with the comp and amp and all the wires sometimes two touch that not suppose to and there is a spark (this is when the fuse is out so there is no battery connected) so some charge must have built up to make the spark. And after this energy discharges, i put the fuse back in and the comp and inverter will turn on fine.

So i either have to wait bout 10 mins before i can turn the comp on, or the built up charge has to be discharged (dont know where its from but)

This is all i know, and im no electrican or anything so i have no idea what to do? does anyone have some ideas with what to check?

Comment

Sounds like the output of the inverter is overloading. It takes a while for it to cool then can be urned back on.
                        What is the wattage of the inverter?
                        1981 VW Scirocco, 2L 16v turbo. EEEPC 1000 running Mega Squirt and music.
                        Http://www.menloparkrandd.com/scirocco

Comment

its a 300 watt inverter, hooked up to just a standered atx power supply.
                          Today i only got it to power up ONCE, and i was driving for 5 hours.

This problem is really getting to me.

Comment

the power supply is rated at bout 200 watts or something.
                            The thing is, im only running a PII 300mhz, 196mb ram and a HD, thats it.

According to the power calculator my power usage should be like 100 watts.

I just went out this morning, put the car to acc, flicked the switch for the relay for the power inverter, the inverter turned on fine, the computer turned on fine.

I shut down the comp frmo the start menu then started the comp from the power button and it starts fine.

Now this time i shut down the comp, turn the car off so the inverter turns off. Turn the car back on again and this time BEEEEEEEEEEEEPPPPPPPPPPPP inverter just bloody beeps.

I DONT GET IT!! im bout to go spit the dummy and buy a new inverter.

Comment

Working...
                            X