Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is it going to blow up?

just installed my carputer.
    the 7" screen is connected to the wire that goes to one of the lighter sockets.
    now, what is better for the computer?
    I have a power inverter which I can use and just plug in the power adapter to the computer.
    or
    this power adapter says: output 12V 4.5amp.
    so I went to RS and bought a lighter adapter that is rated to 12V and 5amp.
    when connecting it to the computer everything runs the same as it does with the inverter.
    I know about the opus and that might be something for some later time, but now the question is: can the lighter adapter harm my computer (since there might be 14.5V going through that lighter socket) and I should therefore use the inverter and the 110V adapter that came with the computer?
    or
    is it OK to use the lighter adapter and it won't harm my computer.

Found this site and discovered carputers on 11/25/04
    Working carputer installed on 12/07/04

Tview 7" VGA Touch Screen
    VIA EPIA 800C3 motherboard
    256mb RAM
    30gig HD
    60Watt DC-DC Molex & ITPS
    Garmin GPS18
    OBD-II on Serial port
    Frodoplayer

Data...can you post a link to the RS adapter that you bought? What kind of CarPC/case do you have?
    MikeH

Comment

Ditto - post some details of the supply - is it regulated etc. I would advise you to hard wire it to the battery as the cig lighter not the best thing to use with a lot of current going through it for a long period - the contacts are not very good and it will get hot and also cause some power loss. Also add an inline fuse as close to the battery connection as possible.

Comment

This is the exact same

256mb RAM
        30gig HD
        Garmin GPS18
        OBD-II on Serial port
        Frodoplayer

Comment

hmm, it changes the url.
          here is a picture of it

256mb RAM
          30gig HD
          Garmin GPS18
          OBD-II on Serial port
          Frodoplayer

Comment

that is a mains power supply surely - where is the cig lighter adapter you mentioned?

Comment

this one

256mb RAM
              30gig HD
              Garmin GPS18
              OBD-II on Serial port
              Frodoplayer

Comment

Thats just a power chord! That will definitely be crap. You may as well just run two wires from your battery to the powersupply but thta would be feeding it with whatever your car chucks out. You need to check the specs on the regulator/power supply part that you posted before (not the AC-DC brick) and see if it can take 14-15V. I would say to protect it get a good notebook adapter e.g. http://www.targus.com/us/product_det...?sku=PAPWR200U
                and set the voltage output to whatever your power supply needs and run the adapter fromt he battery with fuse etc. You can get 120W ones off ebay. Just get a decent one - it is worth paying a little extra when it comes to power stuff. A 120W will be more than adequate, you can get 90W but why mess around?

Correction: is that an ITX power supply or summit? other poeple would be best to advise you on whether you can attach this direct to the car battery. Please try and post the specs for it.

Comment

Data,

The picure you posted is a Morex 60 Watt DC-DC PSU with AC/DC brick. The Radio Shack adapter, as Scouse Monkey stated, is simply a wire running from your cig lighter outlet. It is NOT a regulator. It's "rated" at 5 amps because that how much current it can carry without melting . You will run into problems trying to power the Morex PSU directly from your battery. It may work (some people are currently doing it), but there is an overvoltage detector on-board which will eventually, and intermittently, shut it down due to overvoltage or undervoltage.

May I (humbly ) suggest you take a look at the CarNetix P1260 regulator. It is designed specifically to go in front of the Morex 60W DC-DC and includes a shutdown controller. It will also survive engine cranking.

The MP3Car.com store will have them in stock very soon.

Hope this is helpful!
                  MikeH

Comment

"is it going to blow up?" YEAH- KABOOOOOOM hehe
                    back on a serious note:

What Pc do you have? if it is an Epia what about a ITPS and the PW-70a combo formthe mp3car store or for a normal pc what about an OPUS 90W or summit?

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH
                      It may work (some people are currently doing it), but there is an overvoltage detector on-board which will eventually, and intermittently, shut it down due to overvoltage or undervoltage.
                      It does work, I drove for 2 hours with it and no problems.

Originally posted by MikeH
                      May I (humbly ) suggest you take a look at the CarNetix P1260 regulator.
                      the question is: how much?
                      I understand now that I'm waiting for trouble to happen.
                      my misunderstanding was that there is something build into that lighter from RS that doesn't let more than 12V go through (just shows how little I know about electronics).

I will now use the power inverter and depending on the cost of the CarNetix P1260 regulator, I might get one of those or just get an opus.

I thank you very much for your help.

256mb RAM
                      30gig HD
                      Garmin GPS18
                      OBD-II on Serial port
                      Frodoplayer

Comment

hmmm, I just saw that the CarNetix P1260 regulator also survives cranking, does that mean it is the same kind of device as an opus?

if yes, than it would only be a matter of price.

256mb RAM
                        30gig HD
                        Garmin GPS18
                        OBD-II on Serial port
                        Frodoplayer

Comment

does that mean it is the same kind of device as an opus
                          The P1260 is a +12V to +12V regulator that survives cranking. It in turn provides power to the Morex so that it doesn't crash during cranking.

The Opus is an ATX DC-DC PSU which basically combines the P1260 and Morex functionality into one unit. This is helpful in situations where you want to replace an existing AC PSU with a unit of similar form factor for car installation. Or if you are powering a CarPC system that needs the higher power.

However, if you already have a case with a Morex, or a motherboard that has a built-in +12V DC-DC PSU (EPIA TC10000), the P1260 can be a more cost effective solution.

The retail price for the P1260 is $84.95.
                          MikeH

Comment

now I understand, thank you very much for this excellent explanation.

256mb RAM
                            30gig HD
                            Garmin GPS18
                            OBD-II on Serial port
                            Frodoplayer

Comment

Working...
                            X