Power/Battery question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power/Battery question

So, if i hypothetically have a 150W OPUS powering my system (with no USB devices, or having them all power down when the computer does), will there be draw on my battery? More importantly, if i leave my car stationary for like 2 weeks (happens on occasion) will i be greeted with a dead battery? thanks.

basically im asking if having a computer in hibernate for 2 weeks causes significant battery draw. A simple solution would be to have it completely shut down when i park the car for a while.

Comment

http://opussolutions.com/modules.php...ic_id=7&sid=23 It will shut down completely if your voltage drops too low:
      Input 12V 24V
      Normal input voltage: 7.5V to 18V DC 14V to 36V DC
      Low battery shutdown voltage: 10V or 10.9V 0.25V 21.2 0.5V
      Battery good detection voltage: Low battery shutdown voltage +1V
      Low battery detection duration: 10 sec. 10 sec.
      If you know you are going to be out of the car for a couple of weeks I'd just do a complete shutdown though.
      7" Lilli TS, Soyo K7VME, Semperon 2200, 160GB Maxtor, 512mb PC3200, Deluo GPS, Panasonic Slim DVD/CD RW, Linksys WMP545G , Opus 150w, XMDirect, XP Pro, FP, IG [XXXXXXXXX-] 90%
      ATVMS.com

Comment

thanks, thats what i thought. now, quick Q. ive been reading the pdf files about the 150W and the 90W. i think the 90W should be enough for me (itx mobo/hd/xenarc/dvd) but, the 150W is only $20 more. only problem is that in the pdf's they dont mention compatability with ITX, while the 90W does. Which one should i get?

Comment

150 does ITX. http://opussolutions.com/modules.php...lastname=News& Plus you get the abilty to add more stuff later without having to upgrade your psu. It would be $20 well spent.
          7" Lilli TS, Soyo K7VME, Semperon 2200, 160GB Maxtor, 512mb PC3200, Deluo GPS, Panasonic Slim DVD/CD RW, Linksys WMP545G , Opus 150w, XMDirect, XP Pro, FP, IG [XXXXXXXXX-] 90%
          ATVMS.com

Comment

sweet... thanks... this is gonna be fun!

Comment

Originally posted by sfay93
              http://opussolutions.com/modules.php...ic_id=7&sid=23 It will shut down completely if your voltage drops too low:
              Input 12V 24V
              If you know you are going to be out of the car for a couple of weeks I'd just do a complete shutdown though.
              Regardless of the shutdown scenario (normal, hibernation, low voltage shutdown), the Opus 150W ALWAYS supplies +5V standby power--consistent with ATX specifications. Depending on your motherboard, this may result in excessive power consumption while your computer is off or hibernating.

This has been discussed MANY times before. Try the SEARCH button for more details and work-arounds
              2004 4runner

Comment

Originally posted by sfay93
                Input 12V 24V
                The Opus low voltage protection only applies when the PSU is on. Regardless of the shutdown scenario, the Opus 150W ALWAYS supplies +5V standby power--consistent with ATX specifications. Depending on your motherboard, this may result in excessive power consumption while your computer is off or hibernating. The 90W Opus has a jumper setting to force the +5V standby rail to power off and thus avoid the power drain issue -- ableit at the expense of violating the ATX spec.

This has been discussed MANY times before. Try the SEARCH button for more details and work-arounds
                2004 4runner

Comment

What happens if i were to put my pc in hibernate and use your schematic, would that effect the hibernation and would it resume it properley.

Comment

Originally posted by rando
                    The Opus low voltage protection only applies when the PSU is on. Regardless of the shutdown scenario, the Opus 150W ALWAYS supplies +5V standby power--consistent with ATX specifications. Depending on your motherboard, this may result in excessive power consumption while your computer is off or hibernating. The 90W Opus has a jumper setting to force the +5V standby rail to power off and thus avoid the power drain issue -- ableit at the expense of violating the ATX spec.

i did a lot of searching and i didnt come up with a straight answer. Your saying that if i have the 150W and put the computer into hibernate there will be a constant 5W draw? what about if i shut down the computer? anyone out there with a 150W powering want to provide input? thanks

Comment

Wally, a computer in hibernation pulls the same current as one shutdown. The difference would be one in standby vs. one in hibernation/shutdown.

Yes, there will always be a 5w drain, just another reason I prefer inverters, especially for a system that is pushing the limits of a opus 150 (when proper gauge wires are used, most inverters survive crank too. The big difference is efficiency. Cost is better for inverters too, a big inverter and good SDC is less than an Opus).

Just my 10cents.

KyferEz
                      TheCarPCStore.com - Power Controllers (SDC), Inverters, Tank Circuit, GPS, OBDII, CarPCs, and more!
                      PSU Wattage Calculator
                      Electronics Calculators
                      Copper Wire Data

Comment

only thing im struggling with here is where that power is going when the OPUS is in "off" mode. is it the general consensus that the 90W opus does not have this 5W draw because of the extra jumper setting?

Comment

Basically, Yes, to the question about the jumper.

The motherboard and a few USB items will be pulling from the power. Do you have a usb gps (especially the small black one with a red led part# BU-303)? The led blinks all the time, so you know right there your usb devices are using power. The motherboard is also watching for the power button to be pressed, among other things.

So that is a few places where the power is going.

KyferEz
                          TheCarPCStore.com - Power Controllers (SDC), Inverters, Tank Circuit, GPS, OBDII, CarPCs, and more!
                          PSU Wattage Calculator
                          Electronics Calculators
                          Copper Wire Data

Comment

ok, so if this is the case it looks like the 90W will be the optimal PS. i did a rough estimate of power usage with the peripherals i want, so can someone back me up that the 90W will power the following:

xenarc, VIA EPIA M10000, DVD drive, HD.

i dont plan to use any power intensive USB devices as of yet.

arg, its kindof odd that they wouldnt put that jumper option to power down the USB stuff on the 150W isnt it?

Comment

ok, i did a little calculatoring. In the spec sheets for the 150W it says that in stand by state it draws .025A. An optima Yellow top has a 48 amp-hour rating, this in effect meants that to drain the battery to 0 it would take 1920 hours (or 80 days). that is unreasonable though, because there are other current drawing devices in the car (small ones) and there still needs to be juice to start the car. is it reasonable to say, though, that the car would last 3 weeks parked? Another solution for me could be to put a toggle switch, to just cut power to the OPUS. (<-- Im liking this last solution the best) any thoughts?

Comment

Working...
                              X