Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody with an Extra Battery in their car?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody with an Extra Battery in their car?

Hey guys, this is what I am running in my car and am considering putting an extra deep cycle battery in the trunk because I don't want my lights dimming:

Biostar M7NCG 400 mobo
    AMD Mobile Athlon XP 2400+ cpu
    Dynatron Copper Cooler Heatsink
    Lite-On DVD/CD-RW Drive
    Soundblaster Audigy 2 PCI Card
    An extra blower
    Rikaline 6010 GPS Receiver
    XM PCR Satellite Receiver
    Xenarc 700TSV Screen

all off of a Opus 150W Power Supply.

Also there is going to be this Rockford Fosgate amp:
    Amplifier

I am planning on running a distribution block that powers the Amp and the Power Supply. What do you guys think? Should I put an extra battery in the trunk? Thanks.

I did, of course I run almost 2000wRMS of stereo equipment as well. Anyway, I recommend running a 2nd battery any time you are doing a system that will pull as much current as the one you are looking at.

I have a feeling tho, that the Opus will be forced to continouly output > 150 watts on that setup. It looks like you will likely pull 190 watts, which means a very short opus life. Check it out yourself at http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/

KyferEz
    TheCarPCStore.com - Power Controllers (SDC), Inverters, Tank Circuit, GPS, OBDII, CarPCs, and more!
    PSU Wattage Calculator
    Electronics Calculators
    Copper Wire Data

Comment

I dont think you'll have to worry about the lights dimming. Most newer cars (90 and up)((just a guess)) have decent alternators that will support that. I'm using an aux. deep cycle optima because I leave the computer running all the time. If you need any help with the aux. battery, if you decide to take that route, just ask.
      2.4 celeron
      150 watt OPUS
      micro atx
      xp pro
      tv/radio tuner card
      audigy
      Dual monitor Radeon
      802.11G Mimo
      xm pcr
      dvd
      gps
      8" Lilliput touch screen
      IGuidance
      dual optimas
      battery isolator
      15" screen
      My Truck

Comment

Originally posted by KyferEz
        I have a feeling tho, that the Opus will be forced to continouly output > 150 watts on that setup. It looks like you will likely pull 190 watts, which means a very short opus life. Check it out yourself at http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/

KyferEz
        I was under the impression that the opus would not allow more than 150 watts to be drawn and that if your particular setup required more, then it just wouldn't turn on. I have read of many people with p4 processors running on the opus 150, myself included. now i'm worried that i'll blow up my opus. anyone have any input on this matter?
        my car: 2003 g35 coupe, 2.5ghz c2d cpu, gigabyte micro atx mb, dsatx
        wife's car: 2004 honda accord coupe 2.4ghz p4 cpu, asus micro atx mb, opus 150
        company car: 2006 chevy avalanche 2.0ghz p4 laptop, cnx p1900

Comment

with that set-up, you shouldn't need a second battery to keep your lights from dimming. That's a small amplifier and most stock alternators/batteris should be able to keep up with it just fine. That is of course, as long as you have a car that is up to par. Meaning: as long as you don't drive something that's 25 years old and is on its last leg. If your car is fairly new and maintained you shouldn't have a problem.

What is your current battery? If it's a deep cycle then you deffinately shouldn't have a problem. All total you are looking at: say 200 for the computer (being generous here) and 400 for that amp (being generous here as well - especially since it's just a punch series and not the power series) - that's 600 watts at most....NOTHING to worry about.

My suggestion: if you haven't already replaced your current battery with a yellow top or a red top Optima, do it and be done. (we have a red top running in our Supercharged (12psi) dakota RT with a full stereo system that's been in there for 5 years and it's still cranking - show me another battery that's able to take that kind of abuse and keep on going =] )

EDIT: you might also consider upgrading your wires from your battery over to your alternator if you are able to. Go 1/0 power and ground for that. As for the amp, 4 gauge should be plenty, 2 if you ever plan on adding another amp, and 1/0 if you ever expect to go crazy.

Also, how are you going to be running that amp? As a 4 channel amp? if so then change that 600watts total to 400 AT MOST.
          Jan Bennett
          FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Hey what kind of supercharger are you running on your Dak? I have a Durango R/T and am thinking of adding a Kenne Bell...

Also I didn't understand one part of your post...are you saying the Opus 150W won't be enough? Thanks.

Comment

we are running a Paxton (Novi2000)- DEFFINATELY the way to go if you want some serious power - 345 rwhp (that's something like 415 at the crank)- still on the stock head gaskets - haven't even opened the motor up AT ALL....all stock internals and 85k miles =] The KB is good and all I just haven't been impressed with the times out of them, and they are ugly as hell IMO....lol

As for the Opus.....I have no idea, I was mostly talking about the second battery for the car - giving you 200watts incase you go with a bigger power supply for the computer.
              Jan Bennett

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Originally posted by legend5761
                Hey what kind of supercharger are you running on your Dak? I have a Durango R/T and am thinking of adding a Kenne Bell...

Also I didn't understand one part of your post...are you saying the Opus 150W won't be enough? Thanks.
                Cosco Inverter. They have a 400 watt for $35 and a 1500 watt for $80. I went with the 1500 watt inverter. Now I can do a custom microwave install, to go next to my 80 inch plasma and fridge. LOL
                2.4 celeron
                150 watt OPUS
                micro atx
                xp pro
                tv/radio tuner card
                audigy
                Dual monitor Radeon
                802.11G Mimo
                xm pcr
                dvd
                gps
                8" Lilliput touch screen
                IGuidance
                dual optimas
                battery isolator
                15" screen
                My Truck

Comment

Originally posted by n8scstm
                  I dont think you'll have to worry about the lights dimming. Most newer cars (90 and up)((just a guess)) have decent alternators that will support that. I'm using an aux. deep cycle optima because I leave the computer running all the time. If you need any help with the aux. battery, if you decide to take that route, just ask.

How long does that deep cycle last on the computer will it last all night? I am intersted in seeing pictures/diagrams of you set up
                  Nate
                  I know what yer thinkin...did he fire six shots or only five...

Comment

if it does last all night, it won't do it very many times...

a battery can only be completely drained so many times before it's shot.
                    Jan Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by Red GTi VR6
                      if it does last all night, it won't do it very many times...

a battery can only be completely drained so many times before it's shot.
                      It's a deep cycle and it's an optima. Even if you can manage to kill it, it's got a 12 month replacement and 12 month pro rated warranty. These batteries are made to be drained. My setup is an Optima D31 yellow top. It's huge and weighs a ton. I'm using a True Power Isolator,from Napa auto parts, to prevent the 1500 watt inverter from draining my main battery. Im using a fuse dist. block with a built in volt meter to keep an eye on the system. I set my computer to standby after 30 minutes and hibernate after 1.5 hours. I have the monitor hooked to the ignition. In this mode the battery will last about 15 days. The battery has 75 amp hours. In hibernation a computer will draw about 2.5 watts. Divide that by 12 to get watts. Divide that by 75 to get the total time it will last (in hours), which in my case is 360. If you dont wanna go through all this, consider using a large cap. (1-2 farad)to help keep your amplifier going. I'm gonna post some new pics on my cardomain page in my sig, so check up later.
                      2.4 celeron
                      150 watt OPUS
                      micro atx
                      xp pro
                      tv/radio tuner card
                      audigy
                      Dual monitor Radeon
                      802.11G Mimo
                      xm pcr
                      dvd
                      gps
                      8" Lilliput touch screen
                      IGuidance
                      dual optimas
                      battery isolator
                      15" screen
                      My Truck

Comment

Originally posted by n8scstm
                        It's a deep cycle and it's an optima. Even if you can manage to kill it, it's got a 12 month replacement and 12 month pro rated warranty. These batteries are made to be drained. My setup is an Optima D31 yellow top. It's huge and weighs a ton. I'm using a True Power Isolator,from Pep Boys, to prevent the 1500 watt inverter from draining my main battery. Im using a fuse dist. block with a built in volt meter to keep an eye on the system. I set my computer to standby after 30 minutes and hibernate after 1.5 hours. I have the monitor hooked to the ignition. In this mode the battery will last about 15 days. The battery has 75 amp hours. In hibernation a computer will draw about 2.5 watts. Divide that by 12 to get watts. Divide that by 75 to get the total time it will last (in hours), which in my case is 360. If you dont wanna go through all this, consider using a large cap. (1-2 farad)to help keep your amplifier going. I'm gonna post some new pics on my cardomain page in my sig, so check up later.
                        Thanks man, I am running a 2 farad cap with my amp and a half farad cap with my deck. I can get a great deal on optima batteries besides
                        Nate
                        I know what yer thinkin...did he fire six shots or only five...

Comment

If I get another battery just for the computer, could I just power the Xenarc straight from the battery since now I don't have to worry about the battery putting out over 12V. Thanks.

Also my car is a 2000 Chrysler 300M, I am a car guy so I keep my car in impeccable shape, no problems there.

Comment

Originally posted by kozmo
                            Thanks man, I am running a 2 farad cap with my amp and a half farad cap with my deck. I can get a great deal on optima batteries besides
                            just FYI, a red top runs $104 at cost, so if you can get it at or aound there you are good to go! If i remember right the yellow top is around $130 at cost....

=]
                            Jan Bennett

Comment

Gracias guys!!! I just emailed Opus and asked them and they said everything will power off the Opus no problem. I am gonna change my battery to the Optima though...thanks guys.

Comment

Working...
                              X