Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xbox tank circuit

i know you'll tell me search but i have and just need a specific answer

I am running a 150W 220VAC invertor to run an XBOX (just got it, nice and modded with 80 gighdd and games - went xbox over DC for no disc swapping).

My invertor is hard wired with a switch to turn it on or off (so doesnt run when car is off, but can if i want to).

When cranking the invertor cuts out, losing temporary power to xbox of course. i know i need a tank circuit, but need to know what capacitor and a brief explanation of the circuit for an xbox on 150w inverter if possible.

I know ill be shunned cos its not a Carputer, but im just starting and that is down the track.

Thanks for any help
    Progress 50%
    Next Step: Making Enclosure, Hard Wiring PSU

Thinkpad 1Ghz P3
    256MB RAM
    Lilliput Motorised
    80GB 3.5"

Originally posted by McGinty
    You should ask a question if you seek an answer.
    And search for tank circuit here. All will be revealed...

I am running a 150W 220VAC invertor to run an XBOX (just got it, nice and modded with 80 gighdd and games - went xbox over DC for no disc swapping).

My invertor is hard wired with a switch to turn it on or off (so doesnt run when car is off, but can if i want to).

When cranking the invertor cuts out, losing temporary power to xbox of course. i know i need a tank circuit, but need to know what capacitor and a brief explanation of the circuit for an xbox on 150w inverter if possible.
    Your inverter isn't designed to survive engine cranking. When the power fluctuates during the engine crank, it's cutting the power to your electrical devices (XBox, in this case) to save them from damage.
    The tank circuit is the same, whether it's a PC, XBox, or blender.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

so theres nho way of using a capacitor or some other means of storing a charge to power the xbox when the battery cuts power during crank?

i thought it was a tank circuit that did this, using a capacitor and a diode to supply power to appliances when the battery was incapable
      Progress 50%

Thinkpad 1Ghz P3
      256MB RAM
      Lilliput Motorised
      80GB 3.5"

Comment

one thing i am gonna try is to use an Uninteruptable Power Supply (UPS) this would provide you with a battery backup on the converted side of things between the inverter and the equipment.

You also have the advantage of it protecting the equipment from spikes, brouwnouts, and all kinds of nasty power mess.

The only thing I can see thats a problem is that ups's dont like cirtain types of power, ie what you get from a genny or some other types of power cleaning. as I said, gonna try it.

Comment

A UPS won't work unless you have a sine wave inverter (much more expensive), and then it still may not work.

A capacitor won't work unless you use like 15 farads. Why? because of the length of time it takes to crank a vehicle. They works well for stereos because the surges in current being needed for musical peaks are fast transients usually lasting less than a second, unlike the slow 5-10 second crank.

Many inverters will survive crank if you do the following:
          1) Use a larger inverter than needed. For example, if you need 200 watts constant, use a 300 watt rms or larger inverter - Inverters are cheap, and will last longer if you get one bigger than needed. They also have the capability of handeling more current. This is important because as the input voltage drops, the input current needed increases when powering a constant load. Larger inverters can handle this in stride.

2) Use LARGE GAUGE WIRE. I cannot stress this enough. USE LARGE GAUGE WIRE POSITIVE LEAD DIRECTLY FROM THE BATTERY, KEEP GROUND WIRE SHORT SHORT SHORT, BOLTED TO CLEAN NON-PAINTED METAL. If you don't you should expect the inverter not to survive crank. If you use small wire, or pre-existing wires in the vehicle, don't expect the thing to survive crank. If it does, it's a fluke or you aren't drawing much current. If you use a 400 watt rms inverter, use at least 12 gauge wire for no longer than 12 feet; use 8 gauge if you can.

If doing those things don't work, keep an eye on my website, especially towards the end of January.

KyferEz
          www.thecarpcstore.com
          TheCarPCStore.com - Power Controllers (SDC), Inverters, Tank Circuit, GPS, OBDII, CarPCs, and more!
          PSU Wattage Calculator
          Electronics Calculators
          Copper Wire Data

Comment

"

Can you please direct me to any article on how to mod the xbox. As far as what modchip to use and where to get the software and operating system.

Sorry for using this tread but can find a good source.

Comment

whoah i didnt think xbox would draw much current (after reading my saturn draws <20W) but it turns out to be around 100W (then again it is basically a computer)

I am running that off a 150W inverter (300W MAX). Cable shouldnt be a problem, im running 8ga.

I just wish there was a cost effective solution to surviving the crank...

ill keep pondering
              Progress 50%

Thinkpad 1Ghz P3
              256MB RAM
              Lilliput Motorised
              80GB 3.5"

Comment

Originally posted by shak
                "

Can you please direct me to any article on how to mod the xbox. As far as what modchip to use and where to get the software and operating system.

Sorry for using this tread but can find a good source.
                www.xbox-scene.com
                mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
                Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
                Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

Originally posted by McGinty

I know ill be shunned cos its not a Carputer, but im just starting and that is down the track.

Thanks for any help
                  Disclaimer: I've modded many an Xbox, but I have never had a reason to test this.

Depending on what version Xbox you have, it looks like v1.2+ use a 20-pin atx-type connector, in which case you might be able to swap the stock psu for a dc-dc power supply. This most likely requires some modification to the location of certain wires within the connector of the new psu, but shouldn't be too difficult to accomplish if you have a multimeter to measure what the original psu is putting out on each wire, and adjust accordingly..

Just a thought.. Good Luck..

Dave
                  Dr. Ron Paul for President 2008

Hope for America - http://www.ronpaul2008.com

Who is Ron Paul? - Why do we need Ron Paul?

Comment

Oh, and if you add install Xbox-linux distro such as GentooX, it can also become your carputer as well as your game console.. =)
                    Dr. Ron Paul for President 2008

Hope for America - http://www.ronpaul2008.com

Who is Ron Paul? - Why do we need Ron Paul?

Comment

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=57838

This is a lengthy thread, but worth the read if you want to use a dc-dc atx psu on your xbox. Somewhere in there is a link to a place or two that sells the part you need already assembled (around $20 I think). But several in the thread made their own for less than $10. Basically, make the cable, connect it to your dc-dc board, you should be good to go.

-Chosen1
                      I think it's wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.

Comment

Working...
                      X