Negative Voltage????

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Negative Voltage????

I just bought this power supply: http://www.orbitmicro.com/products/p...2/KPDX250H.htm

Its inputs are GND, +, -. I know how to get the ground and positive, but what on earth do I do for the negative???

just connect the negative to your cars chassis, you shouldnt have to worry about GND
    Signature: [==||========] 20% complete

Comment

Can you tell me if that psu works out alright, in my opinion the description looks perfect, power wise. Tell me how it works out.

Comment

That thing is 250 watt at 60% efficiency = 150 watts. Opus does that, has a built in shutdown controller, and is smaller. Sounds like a waste of money to me. For $15 more dollars, get the Opus.
        7" Lilli TS, Soyo K7VME, Semperon 2200, 160GB Maxtor, 512mb PC3200, Deluo GPS, Panasonic Slim DVD/CD RW, Linksys WMP545G , Opus 150w, XMDirect, XP Pro, FP, IG [XXXXXXXXX-] 90%
        ATVMS.com

Comment

Originally posted by sfay93
          That thing is 250 watt at 60% efficiency = 150 watts. Opus does that, has a built in shutdown controller, and is smaller. Sounds like a waste of money to me. For $15 more dollars, get the Opus.
          power supplys are rated (well supposed to be rated) at their output power not their input power, remember that the opus is about 90% efficient
          Signature: [==||========] 20% complete

Comment

Originally posted by sfay93
            Its 60% efficient meaning it uses 417 watts and outputs 250. Whereas the Opus only outputs 150.

Comment

I got one of those about 3 years ago and have been running it with no problems on a Celery 300 system. It still works, so I'm going to be using it in a new machine with a Celeron D 330. I've done short tests on a garden tractor battery and it seems to work fine.

I just use the + and - terminals. Use an amp cable (~4 ga?) run from the battery to + and a cooresponding cable from - to the car chassis.

The only problems I have is that it's Full Size ATX - big sucker. And the power cables are simply too long. It's set up for use in tower cases - I'll be using many twist ties to clean up the excess!

It does have 250W output. Compare the numbers:
              V / Keypower / Opus 150
              +5 / 25A / 10A
              +3.3 / 14A / 10A
              +12 / 10A / 5A
              -5 / 1A / ?
              -12 / 2A / .2A
              +5SB / 1A / 1A
              http://www.jeepmp3.com/
              CarPC Stolen. Starting over.
              Ne1 recognize the avatar?

Comment

Opus: ">89% at optimum loads"

KeyPower: "60% at typical load"

I bet their efficiencies are pretty close to each other.

Comment

Hey eCar (or anybody else with this power supply), does it survive cranking for you. I got it working and hooked up (pictures of my setup to come shortly), but the computer reboots on cranking. I haven't installed the shutdown controller (from mp3car.com) yet, I dunno if that will affect it or not.

It might also be affected because I have 18awg wire running into the +/-/gnd terminals, I have 4awg running from battery/ground to trunk, then I just spliced it into some 18awg cuz the 4awg was too big for the terminals on the PSU.

Comment

Originally posted by Optikal
                    Hey eCar (or anybody else with this power supply), does it survive cranking for you.
                    Are you talking about the Keypower? Nope - my old machine never survived cranking. Might have been the battery, but I'm guessing it may have been something else. That machine didn't use 4ga wire, though - I think it had 10.

Keypower's were pretty popular a few years back, and (if memory serves) some people were successful with it during cranking. Do a search and you might find something.
                    http://www.jeepmp3.com/
                    CarPC Stolen. Starting over.
                    Ne1 recognize the avatar?

Comment

Working...
                    X