How can I power a P4 3.0G

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I power a P4 3.0G

I want to make a carputer it's my first one. I bought a P4 3.0G CPU, Intel Mini Mother Board, 100GB Notebook harddrive, and a note book DVD-CD-Rw combo. All I need is power for it. What do I do???

You need Power and a Shutdown controller.

For power I recommend an inverter and a standard ATX PSU.

An OPUS 150 most likely will not work. The cpu pulls nearly 100 watts. Combined that with a motherboard, dvdrw, hd, you are definatly pushing pushing the Opus. If you want anything more like gps, wireless lan, etc. you will exceed 150 watts, if the hd and dvdrw haven't already done that.

For the Shutdown controller, I recommend the CarPC Pro or EZ Power Controller (www.thecarpcstore.com).

You can purchase both the inverter and controller from that site, and they will be wired to work together so you don't have to do it yourself.

ColdPhreze
    14" LCD, EPIA MII-10000, 256MB, Wireless LAN, GPS, CDRW/DVD, ELM Scan,
    200wRMS inverter (for the screen), CarPC Pro v2.4 Power Controller,
    2 12" Pioneer Premiers, Sony 6x9s, Sony Xplode Class D mono block, Pheonix Gold A/B amp for highs

Comment

Originally posted by turbodrive
      I want to make a carputer it's my first one. I bought a P4 3.0G CPU, Intel Mini Mother Board, 100GB Notebook harddrive, and a note book DVD-CD-Rw combo. All I need is power for it. What do I do???
      Consider this constructive critizium from an a__hole... Why the hell do you need a 3.0GHz P4 in your car?????? That is just overkill.....

Nothing you will or can do in a car will require that kind of processing power... I am currently on my second CarPC and all I do is play MP3's, do some GPS'ing and once in a Blue moon play a DVD... and I bet 99.99862% here will fit in the same bucket.....

Scale back, use that for you house PC, use a VIA M10000 or M12000 for your CarPC...... it will make you life much easier.

But as you seem to already be doing

HAVE FUN with this... this is one of the greatest hobbies around other than that....

Comment

The Opus 150W should work. Initially I built my box with a P4 3.0 I had sitting around from another project. At that time I was using a PW-200, and it seemed to work with the P4 3.0 just the same as the P4 2.0, which is now the permanent processor for my carputer.

Since then I've switched over to an Opus 150W psu; I haven't tried the 3.0 with the Opus, but I doubt you'll have a problem. If you know your exact CPU model, you should be able to look up its power consumption here http://processorfinder.intel.com/scr...sp?ProcFam=483

[Edit: Notebook hd appear to consume ~5W]
        Dr. Ron Paul for President 2008

Hope for America - http://www.ronpaul2008.com

Who is Ron Paul? - Why do we need Ron Paul?

Comment

Put your carputer setup into your home rig and put the home rig setup into you car. Problem solved
          PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
          GammaControl v2.4
          SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

I am currently running a p4 2.8 with an opus 150 & a desktop hard drive, no problems & pretty solid, but when I add dvd/gps & a few more usb components I plan on adding another slave power supply. it will not need to have a shut down/start up built in because it could be controlled by the opus 150
            MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

Never enough power...

Greetings All,

I'm in the "one can never have enough power" camp. I want my CarPC as fast as possible, for booting, and more importantly multi-tasking. I want to run my MP3 player, DVD and GPS at the same time and be able to switch on the fly. I regularly go to events that I photograph, so I do all of the above plus burn a CD of the photos that I download. Can't do that will a 1Ghz machine...

Just the way that I like to use my CarPC... can't wait to upgrade to a P4 3.4Ghz with 2GB of RAM. Oh yeah...

Cheers and Happy Holidays...

OS

Comment

olisim, turbodirve,

Don't go Opus with the setup you have mentioned. Those who advise you to won't pay for a new one when the Opus dies prematurely. You will be pulling more current that an Opus is rated for, and it won't last. Been there, done that, don't recommend it.

KyferEz
                TheCarPCStore.com - Power Controllers (SDC), Inverters, Tank Circuit, GPS, OBDII, CarPCs, and more!
                PSU Wattage Calculator
                Electronics Calculators
                Copper Wire Data

Comment

That much power might even strain a Keypower 250 watt ps... You're probably better off with inverters, as previously stated.
                  http://www.jeepmp3.com/
                  CarPC Stolen. Starting over.
                  Ne1 recognize the avatar?

Comment

It's 1.287-1.4V core voltage. I'm not sure exactly P4 3.0 775LGA it is but all 3 have relatively the same voltage. So with this info what do I get? OPUS? or PW 200

Comment

Neither. Go Inverter + 300 (or more) watt ATX psu. It's cheaper too, especially if you already have an ATX psu lying around.

Why? Because Opus's are not rated for that size of a load, and I have read many posts of people unhappy with the PW200, as it is not really designed for vehicle usage.

ColdPhreze
                      2 12" Pioneer Premiers, Sony 6x9s, Sony Xplode Class D mono block, Pheonix Gold A/B amp for highs

Comment

Opus is working on releasing a 220W power supply. No ETA yet. However it has been drawn up but no production. If you can wait 2-3 months to see the progress then I would recommend it.
                        2008 350z GT Installed since April 22nd 2011 - Worklog
                        2000 Protege Installed Since April 2, 2005 - Intel D201GLY|Fusion Brain|ODBPros ODBII|Engenius|GPS Rikaline|Powermate|Motorized Lilli
                        Sound Stage
                        Eclipse|MTX|Infinity

Comment

Yeah, but that is going to be expensive. I'm sure it will be at least $200, (educated guess based upon previous models). And the inverter+ATX PSU solution $120 or less with a power controller that does much more than what is in an Opus.

ColdPhreze

Comment

It's 1.287-1.4V core voltage. I'm not sure exactly P4 3.0 775LGA it is but all 3 have relatively the same voltage. So with this info what do I get? OPUS? or PW 200
                            It's not the voltage you're looking for in the CPU specs, the Watts are key. If you're not sure of which CPU it is, pretend it's the one with the max watts..
                            Dr. Ron Paul for President 2008

Hope for America - http://www.ronpaul2008.com

Who is Ron Paul? - Why do we need Ron Paul?

Comment

ehh i used one of them wattage calculators where you put together your system with a series of dropdown boxes, i think it was on that site where you buy the carpc ez shutdown controller

i have the p4 itx board with a 2.8ghz, 3.5" drive, 8 usb devices, and a pci audigy card, and it added up to 170-180 watts peak

i bought the PW200 that plugs right into the itx board, and that claims to be 250watts peak

it claims it supports up to 3ghz

whats the problem again?

Comment

Working...
                              X