arrgg.. i thought opus had battery protection

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• arrgg.. i thought opus had battery protection

left computer on today while windows update was running and kinda was busy doing other stuff so it was on for a good hour and no problems. Shut it off and went to the movies. Came home and turn key to start comp and it doesnt so i figure battery must be low, but it was too low to start. I thought it shut off b4 it got too low so you could at least start it. oh well good thing i was at home.
    EPIA MII-1200, 512 MB Ram, Seagate 7200 RPM 160GB hard drive, Orinoco Gold with 5.5 dB external antenna, Lilliput 7" TS, DVD-ROM, M2-ATX, Rikaline 6010 GPS, Running Frodo Player
    My Truckputer

it's supposed to attempt the shutdown procedure when the voltage gets low enough, yes.

Unfortunately there are two things about this that may not be good enough... first off, I personally have no idea how low the voltage has to be for it to shut down. If it's **** low, then even if it does shut off correctly, it doesn't matter, your battery doesn't have enough juice to start the engine.

The other bad thing is that if, during the shutdown procedure, something happens in terms of software (ie, "End Task" vs "Cancel" in windows XP, where it never shuts down and waits for your inputs), then the computer won';t shut down until the voltage gets low enough that the opus simply can't provide the power for the computer. By this time, it's way past the point where it doesn't have enough juice to start the engine.

Comment

The OPUS is supposed to also have the option to cut off all power as well though.
      Unfortunately I can give no help in how to set that up.
      [H]4 Life
      My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
      It will be done sometime in the next generation.
      I'm a lesbian too.
      I am for hire!

Comment

The Opus 150W doesn't have an option to configure the power. It ALWAYS supplies power to the +5V standby rail. It is supposed to 'detect' a failed shutdown and force the computer off after a unspecified amount of time but I believe what actually happens is it just waits until the undervoltage situation forces the situation. At that point, it will drop the power to all of it's rails EXCEPT +5V standby.

There's no guarantee that the low voltage turn off point will leave enough juice in your battery to start your car. Moreover, the longer the system is left idle after the low voltage shutdown the worse the situation gets because of continued consumption on the +5V standby rail.
        2004 4runner

Comment

I have the 90w and have it set to cut power to everything including the 5v rail so it should shut everything down when it does so.
          EPIA MII-1200, 512 MB Ram, Seagate 7200 RPM 160GB hard drive, Orinoco Gold with 5.5 dB external antenna, Lilliput 7" TS, DVD-ROM, M2-ATX, Rikaline 6010 GPS, Running Frodo Player
          My Truckputer

Comment

I don't know about the 150watt, but the 90 watt is supposed to shut down around 10.4ish volts. While 10.5volts is still technically enough to start a car, the amperage may not be there to turn the starter. Unfortunately voltage is only part of the equation.

I suggest getting a Deep Cycle battery like the Optima Yellow Top (NOT the red top). I have yet to have any starting issues with it. The battery holds lots of reserve power, and can be fully drained without hurting it.
            Carputer progress meter: [-----|]
            Carputer gadget meter: [--|---]

Comment

So, there is no way to completely cut power to the pc with the 150 w? After not driving the camaro for three days, my battery will not start the car... what else can i do?
              Project "Media-Z" : 99 Camaro Z28 (Click to View)

Comment

I'm going to put in a "delay circuit"

which will basically delay the ACC/IGN signal going from going down immediately when you turn off the car/switch to delay it by 60 seconds or something.

So what happens is that after 60 seconds, a 20 AMP relay that goes to my opus gets cut off.

Comment

Originally posted by wizawuza
                  it's supposed to attempt the shutdown procedure when the voltage gets low enough, yes.

Unfortunately there are two things about this that may not be good enough...
                  That is EXACTLY where the uSDC20D would help you out. Bypass the OPUS shutdown controller and use it as a dumb power supply. The uSDC will cut all power to your power supply so it doesn't drain the battery. It will also let you set the low voltage threshold. You basically let your computer run for 20 minutes, after 20 minutes or so, you adjust the little trimmer to the point when the computer shuts down, then your done. The other way to set it is to take a multimeter and measure the battery voltage after 20 minutes or so, then set it using the formulas. Pretty simple. Then both of your problems go away.
                  MPEGBOX - Plexiglass Computer
                  www.mpegbox.com

Comment

Working...
                  X