need advice choosing power supply

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need advice choosing power supply

Hello im new to this car pc thing but Im trying to get one up and running in my car by mid Feb to march and I need some help. I just wanted to know what is the best power supply to get to connect to the car battery direct, survives engine cranks and provides enough power to a mini itx board and isnt that expense. I dont want to build to much of anything(like anything but the entire thing) I just want to buy it and connect it to the motherboard and be happy. Can I get some advice please.

All the advice you need is already in these forums. There is a discussion on just about every power supply option out there in these forums.

There is no 'best' power supply. They each have their problems. You will have to make your own choice and do some research on each power supply option, which I will list several for you to get started searching:
    1) inverter and ATX PSU
    2) CarNetix
    3) Opus 150
    4) Opus 90
    5) PW-70
    6) M1-ATX

KyferEz
    TheCarPCStore.com - Power Controllers (SDC), Inverters, Tank Circuit, GPS, OBDII, CarPCs, and more!
    PSU Wattage Calculator
    Electronics Calculators
    Copper Wire Data

Comment

I would recommend the M1-ATX, it is cheap and fairly good with the options... it survives cranks, comes with all necessary hookup parts (except for the wiring to battery)... I ran all wiring off my amplifier, so I have power, ground and remote turnon lead just paralleled... I am running a Via Epia 800 (slightly older, but essentially the same as the popular M10000), a Maxtor HD, a holux GPS-210, Dlink DWL-122 USB Wifi, Belkin USB Bluetooth... serial cable for XM tuner is in the mail and will be working by the end of this weekend... I have the Xenarc 7TSV and am totally pleased with it... I use an in dash Pioneer P5000MP DVD player for control of volume and amp/sub/etc...

future plans are to build a photocell based dimmer for the LCD backlight because the screen is just WAY TOO BRIGHT at night, daytime is fine, but it is cumbersome to have to keep adjusting the backlight setting through the onscreen display... also I am gonna need some type of heater, just for a minute every morning to get the CPU ready to boot... tomorrow's morning temps will be in the single digits and it takes about 5 mintues to get enough engine heat to let the hard drive spin...
      EPIA SP13000, 512 DDR400, Seagate 300GB, Belkin PCI 802.11g w/external antenna, Holux GM-210 GPS, XM Direct w/ serial, Dlink FM, Opus 120 p\s, Rockford P4004 amp, Xenarc 7" VGA touchscreen custom mounted in double din spot -- see pics and write up here!!

Comment

question for mgithens um how does the usb bluetooth and the wifi work? while running apps and movies or audio. is the power comsumption too much for all of that to run all at once or not and also how did you mount your monitor is it in dash or not.

Comment

any mini itx power supplys with regulators on it

Comment

ok i chose this motherboard
            http://www.viaembedded.com/product/e...herboardId=201
            i want to know using the power supply the mb has can i just hook it straight to the car's battery and also is there enough to power two hds, dvdrom and a wif pci

Comment

ok i chose this motherboard
              http://www.viaembedded.com/product/e...herboardId=201
              i want to know using the power supply the mb has can i just hook it straight to the car's battery and also is there enough to power two hds, dvdrom and a wif pci

Comment

iopcool20,

The EPIA TC10000 motherboard you referenced requires a well regulated +12V input to power it. I would suggest the CarNetix P1260 as your DC-DC power supply. It works well with this motherboard.
                MikeH

Comment

Working...
                X