Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do i hook up this switch to my Opus?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do i hook up this switch to my Opus?

Hey, for functionality reasons, i decided i need a 3 way switch to control my opus. i know this has been asked before and i read every thread on switching the Opus but none of the switches look like the one i got.

i bought this switch and am a little confused how to hook it up. on the one side it has 3 terminals that say 1,2,3. on the other side it also has 3 terminals that say On,Off,On. as luck would have it, my circuit tester isnt working which doesn't help.

what i want to do is cut my ignition line to the opus and wire it through the switch. so in one position, it will be conected like it is now to the switched ignition wire. in one position it will be completely off and the other position, it will be connected to the battery that is always on.

any insight would be very helpful. sorry for the long winded post. thanks guys!

Craig

hi ,

well im also using a toggle switch for the same purpose... but not with 6 pins rather than with 3. Not to good with those things but i've soldered 2 of the pins together and one side of the IGN line to them and the other side of the IGN line to the remaining pin. About your toggle switch i have no clue... maybe it needs a resistor ....

i guess i didnt help , but i've tried.cheers and good luck.
    Cheers, yours, X. The link: http://xmen4u.tripod.com/ Click below
    XMen's CarPC Website

Comment

I have the eaxct switch. You only have to use 3 pins and one side of the 3 pins. When the toggle switch is up pins 2 and 3 are connected. When toggle switch is down pins 1 and 2 are connected. So have pin 2 go to your opus. Then have 1 and 2 go to either the cars acc or 12V
      Remember AllAdvantage From 7 years ago? IT IS BACK! Now under a new name Agloco
      GET PAID TO SURF THE INTERNET

Comment

Wouldn't this work?

IGN------1 ON------\
        2 OFF----- OPUS
        12V------3 ON------/

Comment

I might not be right but i am using this:
          http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=275%2D695
          mine is pin 1 goes to key, pin to goes to opus, pin 3 goes to 12v+
          the other pins are wired same IF it is a DPDT

when i have the switch in one position, the carputer comes on/off with the ignition.
          other position i can turn on/off with the switch without using the ignition.

i still recommend using a meter to verify your pins since radioshack (USA) site does not have your switch.
          The MC of Florida Car PC Meets
          CAR:2001 Ford Crown Victoria
          PC: Acer EEE 900HA with Win7 with CF 2.0.
          Memory:1G
          Drives:160gig
          WI-FI:Cingular
          GPS:IG2k9
          Screen:Xenarc 700TSV
          The Florida Meets Thread

Comment

Originally posted by john1701
            I might not be right but i am using this:
            http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=275%2D695
            mine is pin 1 goes to key, pin to goes to opus, pin 3 goes to 12v+
            the other pins are wired same IF it is a DPDT

when i have the switch in one position, the carputer comes on/off with the ignition.
            other position i can turn on/off with the switch without using the ignition.

i still recommend using a meter to verify your pins since radioshack (USA) site does not have your switch.
            I have a similar swith but I didn't buy from rackshack. I got from a local E store. Basically any ON-OFF-ON or DPDT (3 pins, 1-2-3) switch will work.
            1 -> Battery or constant on
            2 -> Opus (or whatever) ACC wires
            3 -> Car's key switch power (ACC/IGN or cig lighter wire)

Switch possition:
            Up - pin 2 get power from battery
            Middle - pin 2 get NO power (thus OFF)
            Down - pin 2 get power from car's key switch.
            2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
            89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
            Y2K Accord Dell GX150
            RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
            EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

Originally posted by Craig W
              Hey, for functionality reasons, i decided i need a 3 way switch to control my opus. i know this has been asked before and i read every thread on switching the Opus but none of the switches look like the one i got.
              any insight would be very helpful. sorry for the long winded post. thanks guys!

Craig
              Looks like a double pole double throw for switching pos and neg together with a centre off. Connect outputs to centre. Input pairs 1 and 3, you can strap the pairs together if you want a higher wattage, or use it to power up two things at once and seperatly like pc and monitor its also used in an X config to change the polarity of a feed. I have included a doodle to help (quality is naff) If I am wrong sombody let me know and i will scrap and/or edit it
              Attached Files
              EPIA MII: 512m Ram: LinITX 8" Touch Screen: Carnetix P1290 PSU: 802b PCMCIA Wireless card: Slot DVD Player: Touchpad: Wireless Keyboard: BU303 GPS Mouse:
              Win 2000: RoadRunner Front End: Michelin Mapstore GPS: Netstumbler:

Comment

you guys are invaluable! much appreciated! got the switch all up and running and it works wonderfully.

its nice, i now have the flexibility of the switch and earlier i sent my Opus 150 back to the factory to have them mod it to shut down all power to the USB when the computer is off. it was much better than rigging up a relay to shut down all the usb devices.

now it is perfect, the Opus sure solves a lot of problems, including surviving crank. well worth the money i spent on it..

thanks again, guys.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                X