No Load Inverter Current Draw, how long till it kills my battery

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Load Inverter Current Draw, how long till it kills my battery

I have a pretty good size inverter, and I am trying to figure out if I can leave this regulator running with the PC hibernating for a period of time without killing the battery. It says its no load current draw is <0.3ADC. I don't know what that means, or if that is enough to worry about. It is a XPower 1000 inverter.
    Round VIII - [IIIIIIIIII] 30% Have some parts for 300zx Sema car I don't own yet. Will have 10.4" & 7" screen, and more then you can believe. Will add updates to cleancustoms.com, will be sweet. My car is still same, but might change.

time

it will mainly depend on what size battery you have in your vehicle.

this means it will use "less than" 0.3Amps per hour.

If you have a 600 amp battery (if it was charged to peak, and in A1 condition) it would theoretically last 2000 hours until it drains the battery flat.

How long you can leave it on before the battery wont start your car is another thing. How much amperage is required to start your car? and bare in mind normal Lead-Acid batteries (like in most cars) arent designed to be ran flat, recharged, ran flat, etc etc. They are there too handle quick heavy loads (like starting a car) and then being recharged by the alternator thru trickle charge. I have 2 x 600 CCA batteries in my 4wd, with an invertor that has a <0.5A rating in idle mode and its been fine for a week with the PC in hibernate, but leave the laptop on full time, with the screen, my car wont start a day or so later, due to my 4wd's huge starting requirements.

most small cars require about 250amps to start them, and if you have a 400 amp battery, expect it too output about 300-350 after some use, so, really, its hard too say how long will it last...
    Hilux Surf (4runner) install
    false floor in rear housing;
    4 channel amp
    600w cont. inverter.
    Also- DigitalWW 7VGA indash
    headunit for FM/AM,DVD,SVCD,CD,MP3
    P4 3.0 with low profile AGP card.
    4x4" speakers (splits) in factory locations
    BU-303 GPS

Comment

You need to give us a little more information. Specifically, the information on the battery. What you really need is the standby current available. And you also need to find out what the total drain on the battery is. This includes things like the ECU (the actual car computer), radio standby draw, security system, stuff like that.

You could measure the current being drawn by the car when the engine is not running by measuring the current with a multimeter.
      2000 Subaru OBS

Dell P3 @ 900 Mhz
      7" Lilliput TS w/DigitalWW in-dash mount
      80GB External HD

I am Zero Bitrate....

Comment

Thanks man, glad to know .3 wasn't higher then normal. I drive an Acura RL, I think it might be a V6, but nothing serious, although it is a big car. I am thinking about adding a second battery just for the hell of it. The cost of one battery with a little cable versus all the other money I have spent doesn't seem like much. Are there any accessories still being powered while your computer is hibernating? I assume when the computer hibernates, it cuts the power it supplies to USB ports, but I dont' know that for sure.
        K
        Round VIII - [IIIIIIIIII] 30% Have some parts for 300zx Sema car I don't own yet. Will have 10.4" & 7" screen, and more then you can believe. Will add updates to cleancustoms.com, will be sweet. My car is still same, but might change.

Comment

Originally posted by kiltjim
          You need to give us a little more information. Specifically, the information on the battery. What you really need is the standby current available. And you also need to find out what the total drain on the battery is. This includes things like the ECU (the actual car computer), radio standby draw, security system, stuff like that.

You could measure the current being drawn by the car when the engine is not running by measuring the current with a multimeter.
          Really I was more concerned about just the inverter itself right now. I didn't even think about the fact that the inverter has a draw when nothing was being run off of it. It just didn't cross my mind when I decided to go this route for power. I had read alot about people leaving it hibernating with DC-DC PS, but couldn't find anything about inverters, and didn't know if it was like parking lights on. When I get it all installed, I will check out my current draw, and will most likely change my power setup.
          thanks for the help

Comment

use this calculator: http://www.thecarpcstore.com/link.ht...alculator.html
            Click the "Battery Discharge Time" link towards the bottom on the left menu.

Then you can figure it out yourself.

KyferEz
            TheCarPCStore.com - Power Controllers (SDC), Inverters, Tank Circuit, GPS, OBDII, CarPCs, and more!
            PSU Wattage Calculator
            Electronics Calculators
            Copper Wire Data

Comment

Blah, I'll make it simple for you. 300mA is probably going to drain your battery in a matter of days and will certainly lead to premature battery failure also.
              2004 4runner

Comment

Originally posted by rando
                Blah, I'll make it simple for you. 300mA is probably going to drain your battery in a matter of days and will certainly lead to premature battery failure also.
                Thats what I didn't want to hear, but I needed to know. You have any recommendations for max amount of time leaving your computer hibernating with no power to any other accessories? Would a second battery be a definite, or would a DC-DC give me the lowest amount of draw.

Comment

Well, something needs to be cleared up here:
                  Did you mean shutdown to hibernate OR shutdown to standby? Shutdown to hibernate does not require any power at all. Shutdown to standby is when the inverter must remain on to power the PC's standby voltage line.

So the inverter can be off when you shutdown to hibernate.

KyferEz
                  TheCarPCStore.com - Power Controllers (SDC), Inverters, Tank Circuit, GPS, OBDII, CarPCs, and more!
                  PSU Wattage Calculator
                  Electronics Calculators
                  Copper Wire Data

Comment

Here I am worried that the overall draw will exceed his battery, and that the battery isn't going to live for very long with such a draw, and rando just rains on all our parades. rando has is right.

A second battery, specifically a battery designed for deep draw (like an optima or the like) would be the best bet. But then you have to worry about isolating it from the other battery and all that stuff. This is one of the things I'm working on now. It's not that its difficult, but its expensive. And I'm afraid of ruining things doing it on my own.
                    2000 Subaru OBS

Dell P3 @ 900 Mhz
                    7" Lilliput TS w/DigitalWW in-dash mount
                    80GB External HD

I am Zero Bitrate....

Comment

Originally posted by fishy
                      it will mainly depend on what size battery you have in your vehicle.

this means it will use "less than" 0.3Amps per hour.

If you have a 600 amp battery (if it was charged to peak, and in A1 condition) it would theoretically last 2000 hours until it drains the battery flat.
                      Wait a minute. Nobody has a 600 amp battery. Nobody even has a 400 amp hour battery. You are thinking in term of peak cranking amps, that is much different than capacity. most batterys have around 30 - 80 amp hours.
                      MPEGBOX - Plexiglass Computer
                      www.mpegbox.com

Comment

Originally posted by kiltjim
                        Here I am worried that the overall draw will exceed his battery, and that the battery isn't going to live for very long with such a draw, and rando just rains on all our parades. rando has is right.

A second battery, specifically a battery designed for deep draw (like an optima or the like) would be the best bet. But then you have to worry about isolating it from the other battery and all that stuff. This is one of the things I'm working on now. It's not that its difficult, but its expensive. And I'm afraid of ruining things doing it on my own.
                        I was thinking of this problem the other day and came up with this idea....

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...threadid=40056

what do you think?

Comment

Originally posted by clean customs
                          Thats what I didn't want to hear, but I needed to know. You have any recommendations for max amount of time leaving your computer hibernating with no power to any other accessories? Would a second battery be a definite, or would a DC-DC give me the lowest amount of draw.
                          Like Kyferez said, from an electrical standpoint hibernation is equivalent to off. All of your system state is preserved on disk and no power is required to maintain it. Shut your inverter off while in hibernation.
                          2004 4runner

Comment

The reason I ask is because of when my computer will go to hibernation. My concern is being able to jump out the car and not have to worry about it. I don't want to have to hibernate the machine manually, then manually switch off the inverter. I will set it to go to hibernation after a certain amount of time, but my inverter doesn't know that. The problem might just be my decision to go with an inverter. I don't know if my board has a pin that says it went into hibernation, to use a relay to cut power to the inverter. But that seems more trouble then its worth. I want the max amount of time to not have to worry about my car, without having to shut down power to the inverter. I will have a switch in the console to do that if I need it to go out of town. Im still trying to figure something out.

I keep saying hibernation, but standby will work just the same to me. The time to reboot on both those options is pretty small for what I am running.

Comment

I would recommend against leaving an inverter turned on (even with nothing plugged in) for very long. Even with nothing plugged into it, if it's on (like overnight, 8-12h), it can drain your battery to below starting levels. Even though inverters are supposed to shut down before you get to below starting level, it doesn't really work very well. I can't give specific time frames, but I had this problem a lot back when I had a 175W inverter powering stuff through a power strip, and I'd just hit the switch on the power strip (the Sears guy looked at me funny when I came back about a month after getting a new DieHard asking for a warrantied replacement). Now I've got extra batteries and a different inverter with an on/off switch by the driver's seat.

BTW: you can get those jump-start boxes with built-in compressor at Costco for about $60. If you're running just one battery, those things are great to have around. Some people also use them as 'tank' batteries.
                              95 Chevy G20 Vroom Boom Room
                              ...with a whole bunch of nifty ****... go check it out: VanDomain Page

Comment

Working...
                              X