Aux DC-DC standby for inverter users

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aux DC-DC standby for inverter users

Was just reading the thread on inverter drain at no load and thought i would post this idea for an auxilary standby power for people using an inveter.

My thinking is that if you want to leave your PC in standby but don't want to have your inverter and then ATX PXU running to provide the power to keep the PC in standby then why not run a cheap and simple DC-DC regulated adapter to power the 5v standby line?

Am i correct in thinking this is the only line providing the mobo with power when the CPU is in standby?

This small dc-dc has got to have lower power consumption than an inveter and psu and can be activated when the ign is off so it powers up redy for when the PC shuts down and turns off the inverter.

You can get dc-dc supplies that power up to 30W (so arounf 2.5A) for portable DVDs etc but i think you only need about 0.5A so can get a really small one.

Any good????

I do have an Inverter, and I don't like to leave this running so this makes since to me.

Also can you tell me how I could test the Load that my system is drawing, as I have killed the battery a few times when the car was off, at home of course, but not had any problems at all while driving or anything like that. I just would like to know how much draw I am getting with the Inverter on, and computer off if that is possible to figure out.
    2000 Yukon Denali
    Shuttle SN65G2
    Cel-D 2.4 GHZ 533mhz FSB
    1GB PC800 Mem
    Radeon9200 PRO
    Seagate 120GB
    ATI Remote
    RF Mini Kb w/Trk Ball
    7" Lilliput Touch Screen Monitor
    USB 2.0 Hub
    Rikaline GPS-6010
    PN11 802.11b Wireless
    XP Pro
    750W Inverter

Comment

Originally posted by bry21317
      I do have an Inverter, and I don't like to leave this running so this makes since to me.

Also can you tell me how I could test the Load that my system is drawing, as I have killed the battery a few times when the car was off, at home of course, but not had any problems at all while driving or anything like that. I just would like to know how much draw I am getting with the Inverter on, and computer off if that is possible to figure out.
      Have you thought about putting an ammeter in line with your inverter??? YOu need a beefy one if you want to test it with your system on but if you are just running the inverter and the PC in standby then allow for 50W (healthy safety margin) so 50/12=4.2A Therefore something which can take up 5 amps should be ok. Get yourself a mulitmeter (very handy to have and don't cost the earth) that has a decnt current rating and put it inbetween your inverter and battery on one of the power lines (in series not in paralell).

This will give you a basic figure for the inverter running the PSU's standby line.

I am not sure if the PC will use more after it has been running and then goes into standby but to tes tthis you need a beefier ammeter as you will have to run the PC 1st. So to avoid this (you would need a 25A meter) you can do the old burglar alarm trick by adding the ammeter onto a parralel piece of wire when the pc is in standy and then disconnecting the original wire to switch the inverter over to running through the ammeter without killing the power which will kill the standby.

you also need to do this when the car is turned off and with no ign on for true car voltage as this will affect the current draw.

1. PC running, inverter connected normally:
      + -------------Inverter +ve

2. Put pc into standby:

3. When in standby splice ammeter in:
      . . .___A___
      . . | . . . . . |

4. then cut the original wire
      . . .___A___
      . . | . . . . . |
      + -----/ /-------Inverter +ve