X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Supply 12v Dc regulator Help

Hi
    i am niral from india..

Problem is that i bought pw200m, and a lilliput via a friend who was traveling to india a month back. Every thing is ready but the biggest problem for me is i forgot to order the "ITPS" so cant regulate the car voltage.

the computer works perfect when the car is off. I have skoda Octivia 1.9 tdi its a diesel, the voltage fluctuation is between 12.2 to 14.5v noise less dc.

the second problem is that i dont get rare ics here like "LM1084 LDO" the best i tried till now is LM7812, LM350, LM317, LM723 and 2N3055 transistors.
    i had put 6 to 8 7812s in parallel but it did not work, then i put 2 of LM350 in parallel but the common problem with them is when they are loaded the voltage across output drops to 8 to 8.5 and the system shuts down.

Now if any one you have build a very simple circuit which can regulate the voltage and is using it in there own car, then please share the circut diagram with me i am in despirate need.

Even a little reply would be a lot for me..
    please relpy soon, as i have been try this since last 21 days. and i am hell tired and bugged up. Please give me perfect information as i am not a electronics expert i am a computer engg. Have just started this workshop for my 12v DC regulator.

Please Help soon...
    Intel 845 mb, P4 2.4Ghz, 256Mb Ram, Seagate 40 HDD,
    Audigy 2 ZS with 7.1,
    Sony 222w Amp(2ch)(SR,SL)
    Blaupunkt 400w Amp(4ch)(SUBB,FC)
    Alpine MRP-240 360w Amp(4ch)(FR,FL,RR,RL)
    total 12 Speakers.
    pioneer steering controls
    Liliput 7"

Hey Niral, welcome to Mp3Car !

I'm going to have to say it's probably a good thing you forgot the ITPS, because I have nothing good to say about it. It's not intelligent enough to control the regulation for voltages close to 12v by this I mean if your car is putting out 12.2v it will bump the voltage down to around 9 or 10 volts which will cause your system to run unstable. It's a device that came out a while back and there are much more sophisticated devices available for close to the same price. Look into "carnetix 1260" or M1 ATX. Carnetix Web Page
    Progress [I will seriously never be done!]
    Via EPIA MII
    512MB RAM
    OEM GPS (embedded)
    nLite WinXP pro on
    1GB Extreme III CF card
    Carnetix 1260 startup/ DC-DC regulator
    Software: Still, re-Writing my existing front end in .Net

Comment

the ITPS and the carnetix only regulate 60 watts of power, he has a 200 watt power supply

i am currently working on a simple regulator circuit, hopefully will have results of success or failure by the weekend

(just using 12 2amp 12volt regulators that have a .5 dropout, with 12 compatible heatsinks, and a couple capacitors to clean the input/output, in theory it will not start a fire in my trunk at least)

Comment

Ahh !

Oh man your right, good catch... wasn't even thinkin bout' that... I just heard ITPS... and started immediatly cursing..
        Progress [I will seriously never be done!]
        Via EPIA MII
        512MB RAM
        OEM GPS (embedded)
        nLite WinXP pro on
        1GB Extreme III CF card
        Carnetix 1260 startup/ DC-DC regulator
        Software: Still, re-Writing my existing front end in .Net

Comment

Can someone design an simple 12 volt regulator circuit. I heard people saying you can added a high current transistor to the circuit will enable to use only one LM7812 chip to handle at least like 2,3 amp of current. any idea how circuit show be design??
          2006 Camry
          Compaq Laptop
          Holux GPS Iguidance 3.0
          7" Xenarc Touch Screen
          Carnetix 1900 Power Supplied, Wireless b/g

Comment

Every body thanks so much for this help.

But the thing is i live in India and i cant order from webs like "Carnetix" as because of the custom duty the cost of the regulator would be more than twice than the original. Instead u people can help me with a circuit which uses usual ICs so that i can make that thing in india. I need approx 9amp of current. And i have a main battery in my car of 75Ah and also have a spare battery 35Ah if this can help.

Thanks..
            Niral
            Audigy 2 ZS with 7.1,
            total 12 Speakers.
            Liliput 7"

Comment

Here is a diagram showing multiple pass transistors connected to a standard 7812 regulator. The voltage drop across this will be close to a volt at high loads so it will never survive engine cranking. for 10 to 12 amps you could probably get by with three transistors/resistors. Low dropout regulators will not work in this circuit, I've tried it and fried it.

Walt

http://www.mitedu.freeserve.co.uk/Ci...er/1230psu.htm
              Walts DC DC ATX Power Supply

Comment

Guys,
                the ITPS and the carnetix only regulate 60 watts of power, he has a 200 watt power supply
                The PW200 provides about 60 watts of regulated power. The remainder of the "200W" is unregulated +12V which is essentially a wire from your battery/alternator directly to you computer (via the ATX power connector). Below is a diagram of what this looks like. I really don't like to bash other vendors, but this "200 watt" name is so misleading I really think it's worth point out to the new guys on the forum.

I have several customers using the P1260 to pre-regulate the input to the PW200 which will properly power an M10000-based system (<60W).
                Attached Files
                MikeH

Comment

Does any body have a solution to this problem now

Hello again i have been waitin long for a circuit that would work properly and give me regulated 12vdc from my car at 7amps. Please if any one has a simple circuit. I am tired of driving my car without a music system.
                  Audigy 2 ZS with 7.1,
                  total 12 Speakers.
                  Liliput 7"

Comment

Niral,

If you can wait just a bit longer, the "PSHARE" will be available in April. It will allow you to combine two P1260s (or a P1260 and P1280) in parallel to achieve up to 10+ amps at +12V with crank survival.
                    MikeH

Comment

Working...
                    X