Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would this work..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Would this work..

    Hey,

    I've been running this one through my head and was wondering what you thought. Instead of using something such as an opus, I was thinking of using an inverter, mainly because it would be cheaper, and I'm not exactly sure how I would wire an opus. I know I could physically power the computer with an inverter without issues, but questions arise when I think about startup/shutdown. My motherboard (M10000) has that feature which means it can automatically power on when AC power is restored - so could this be used in conjunction with the inverter to get the computer to turn on? Thinking about it the inverter would be running of the battery, so even if I was to turn the car off the inverter would still be getting power, therefore the only way to actually get this process to work would be to turn the inverter off every time I didn't need computer, then manually turn it on when I did need it. Right..?


    Thanks!

  • #2
    Search. There are several shutdown controllers that can handle inverters. Look at the CarPC EZ/Pro and uSDC20d as a start.
    Rick S.

    XP Pro SP2, Soyo P4RC350 MB, Nvidia FX5200, 320W PS, Inverter & uSDC20D, 2.4GHz CeleronD320, 512MB DDR, 30GB 3.5", Pioneer 106s Slot DVD, Linksys WMP54G WiFi, Lilliput 7" & 4" TFT LCD, Zippy EL610 Keyboard, Touchpad, Garmin GPS V

    Comment


    • #3
      Go to mp3car store and look for Shutdown Controller. There are a few of them to choose.
      2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
      89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
      Y2K Accord Dell GX150
      RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
      EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Lucky
        Hey,

        I've been running this one through my head and was wondering what you thought. Instead of using something such as an opus, I was thinking of using an inverter, mainly because it would be cheaper, and I'm not exactly sure how I would wire an opus. I know I could physically power the computer with an inverter without issues, but questions arise when I think about startup/shutdown. My motherboard (M10000) has that feature which means it can automatically power on when AC power is restored - so could this be used in conjunction with the inverter to get the computer to turn on? Thinking about it the inverter would be running of the battery, so even if I was to turn the car off the inverter would still be getting power, therefore the only way to actually get this process to work would be to turn the inverter off every time I didn't need computer, then manually turn it on when I did need it. Right..?

        Thanks!
        I got more than a solution for you
        visit my webpage @ www.cardomain.com/id/nicorolla and go to page 3 at the bottom of the page. Let me know if you have any questions.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Nicorolla
          I got more than a solution for you
          visit my webpage @ www.cardomain.com/id/nicorolla and go to page 3 at the bottom of the page. Let me know if you have any questions.
          That is not "more than a solution", simply a solution that cannot turn on a PC that does not have the resume from power loss feature in the BIOS. The CarPC EZ and Pro Power Controllers do so much more than a simple circiut emulating a UPS. Maybe doing more than needed could be considered "more than a solution"?

          Lucky, it is up to you to decide how much you need. Our Power Controllers may be more than you need, but I gaurantee you will be happy with them.

          KyferEz
          TheCarPCStore.com - Power Controllers (SDC), Inverters, Tank Circuit, GPS, OBDII, CarPCs, and more!
          PSU Wattage Calculator
          Electronics Calculators
          Copper Wire Data

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by KyferEz
            That is not "more than a solution", simply a solution that cannot turn on a PC that does not have the resume from power loss feature in the BIOS. The CarPC EZ and Pro Power Controllers do so much more than a simple circiut emulating a UPS. Maybe doing more than needed could be considered "more than a solution"?

            Lucky, it is up to you to decide how much you need. Our Power Controllers may be more than you need, but I gaurantee you will be happy with them.

            KyferEz
            He was inquiring about turning the PC on, i gave him "more than a solution" because my diagram does both turn on and turn off.

            If you would've looked closely, it does turn on the PC, let me know if you need help reading the diagram.

            (hint: turn ignition on, relay turns inverter on, feeding power to the PS which mimics power being back after power lost)
            This is how my PC turns on and off with the acc/ign without any other switches

            Btw Lucky, this is pretty simple stuff and it's dirt cheap to make and works perfectly, let me know if you have questions how to make it.

            Comment


            • #7
              Nicorolla, what I stated, (Please re-read the previous post), is that it does not turn on a pc that does not have "the resume from power loss feature in the BIOS". To restate, it cannot turn on a PC unless it has the Resume from Power Loss as a feature of the BIOS. Some PCs don't, and nearly all laptops don't.

              There was no need for the rude remarks.

              Things your circuit doesn't have: delayed turn on, delayed turn off, amplifier turn on and off while preventing PC turn-on thump. It cannot turn on a PC that does not have the "Resume from Power Loss" BIOS feature. Temperature sensing, voltage monitoring, shutdown when voltage is low, warranty, support via phone, much more.

              As I said before, it simply depends upon how much time and money you want to invest. Our boards mean less time, more features, and are going to cost more.

              KyferEz
              TheCarPCStore.com - Power Controllers (SDC), Inverters, Tank Circuit, GPS, OBDII, CarPCs, and more!
              PSU Wattage Calculator
              Electronics Calculators
              Copper Wire Data

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by KyferEz
                Nicorolla, what I stated, if you had read it properly, is that it does not turn on a pc that does not have "the resume from power loss feature in the BIOS". To restate, so you don't misunderstand, it cannot turn on a PC unless it has the Resume from Power Loss as a feature of the BIOS. Some PCs don't, and nearly all laptops don't.

                There was no need for the nasty remarks.

                Things your circuit doesn't have: delayed turn on, delayed turn off, amplifier turn on and off while preventing PC turn-on thump. It cannot turn on a PC that does not have the "Resume from Power Loss" BIOS feature. Temperature sensing, voltage monitoring, shutdown when voltage is low, warranty, support via phone, much more.

                As I said before, it simply depends upon how much time and money you want to invest. Our boards mean less time, more features, and are going to cost more.

                KyferEz

                Thank you for the clarification, i appologize for my rant but i was quite offended by how my idea was put down by using the quotations "more than a solution" and highlighting the only thing it cannot be used for.

                The great majority of motherboards have the powerlost restart feature, chances are thats what lucky will have and if he doesn't for the price of ur hardware he can get one. Unless he gets a laptop but he isn't because he is talking about an inverter here. Laptops require no inverters.

                Ur shutdown controller is a awsome peice of hardware but not everyone needs all those bells and whisles.
                My point was that for about $5-6 you can have a reliable working turn on/off circuit that turn everything off leaving nothing drawing power.

                Also, in my case, eleminated the soundcard on "pop" because my deck (pioneer) has a 1 second delay before turning the amp on, which before that time the pop happens, and when tunring off, the amp gets turned off instantly while the PC has to shutdown which is sufficient time to not have the amp on when the PC "pops" again shutting down.

                Yes ur hardware is "more than a solution" than my diagram but mine does more than what lucky asked for and it's only under $5-6. Either idea is good and they should not be put down (altho i know i just put urs down, i had to prove my point, sorry)

                so we

                Comment


                • #9
                  Hey,

                  Thanks for all the input from everyone, really has been helpful. If I had more $ I would probably go for KyferEz option, but as it is I don't. Since my board has 'powerlost restart feature' I guess I could use Nicorolla solution -

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Nicorolla, I wan't meaning to offend; should have re-read the post before making it... It does sound offensive, sorry.

                    Lucky, go for it. Recommendation: don't use Radio Shack for parts unless you have to. You will find the bosch style relays (the only one they have for >10 amps) alone cost $6.29!

                    KyferEz
                    TheCarPCStore.com - Power Controllers (SDC), Inverters, Tank Circuit, GPS, OBDII, CarPCs, and more!
                    PSU Wattage Calculator
                    Electronics Calculators
                    Copper Wire Data

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by KyferEz
                      Nicorolla, I wan't meaning to offend; should have re-read the post before making it... It does sound offensive, sorry.

                      Lucky, go for it. Recommendation: don't use Radio Shack for parts unless you have to. You will find the bosch style relays (the only one they have for >10 amps) alone cost $6.29!

                      KyferEz
                      It's all cool KyferEz

                      I agree with not using radio shack parts (cause they rip ya off) but for the relays i got a bag full of "standard automotive 30amp relays" for $2.50 (cnd) a peice at my local hardware surplus store. If you shop around you should be able to find a similar deal.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        what I don't understand is....how can running an inverter and a PSU be so much less expensive than running the OPUS? running an inverter will introduce a lot of noise into your stereo in most cases, not to mention finding a place to put the inverter and full size psu can prove to be a problem....wiring up a dc-dc power supply is rather simple....you need a ground, ignition, and a power line....3 wires.....not much to that.....

                        if you want to do the inverter, more power to you by all means! I just want to make sure that you have throughly researched your other options....=]
                        Jan Bennett
                        FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

                        Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Speaking for price here, the opus sells for around $200us ($250 cnd). plus taxes.

                          here is the cost of my setup in cnd currency:
                          - 300w Inverter $29.99 (on sale at canadian tire) this inverter does not noise up my system and fits nicely on top of a airduct inside my dash.
                          - 300w ATX power supply (cut up into 5x3.5x3.5") $15 second hand
                          - 2 Relays $4.98 (2.49 each)
                          - 2 diodes $Free (from burnt PS)
                          - Fuse holder w/ fuse $1.99
                          - Serial port connector - Free from old serial mouse
                          - Misc connectors and wires $2-3

                          $54.96 + tax (aprox $44us + tx)

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            ok - well when you put it like that...lol
                            Jan Bennett
                            FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

                            Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Most inverters I have been looking at come with both cig lighter and crocodile clip connectors . I know that it is not advisable to use the cig lighter when large amounts of power are going to be needed. The only problem I would have with the crocodile clips would be that computer would be in boot - and inverter would need to be near the battery - front of car. I could get a ground from the boot, but getting a + would be difficult. Is there any kind of extension wire you can get so you can extend the crocodile clip so they can extent to front of car?

                              Thanks.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X