Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best way to get power to cpu and touchscreen???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to get power to cpu and touchscreen???

I'm about to install a cpu with the M1-ATX and an indash touchscreen. I've been reading a lot of threads, but was wondering which would be the best and easiest way to get power to the cpu and touchscreen. I've narrowed it down to three options:

1. Connect the power wire to the blanks in the fuse box using spade terminals
    2. Connect the power wire directly to the battery's positive terminal
    3. Splice the power wire in with the power wire behind the cigarette lighter

Also, is the power wire just regular 12V Primary Wire and do the ignition wires just need to be connected to any wire that receives power when the car is either on or in accessory mode?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

1. Connect the power wire to the blanks in the fuse box using spade terminals
    2. Connect the power wire directly to the battery's positive terminal
    3. Splice the power wire in with the power wire behind the cigarette lighter
    #2 is the safest.

Edit: I read this a bit wrong. I took it for granted that the M1-ATX would be used to power everything. Thus, when I posted I meant it's safest to run power wire directly from the battery's positive terminal to the M1-ATX, then use the M1-ATX to power the cpu and screen. Sorry I didn't clarify before.

Also, is the power wire just regular 12V Primary Wire and do the ignition wires just need to be connected to any wire that receives power when the car is either on or in accessory mode?
    Yes and Yes

KyferEz
    TheCarPCStore.com - Power Controllers (SDC), Inverters, Tank Circuit, GPS, OBDII, CarPCs, and more!
    PSU Wattage Calculator
    Electronics Calculators
    Copper Wire Data

Comment

What type of power supply are you using and inverter? opus?

I would use battery to power supply then 12v from the cpu to the screen for a regulated 12v. If your screen needs 12v.
      2008 350z GT Installed since April 22nd 2011 - Worklog
      2000 Protege Installed Since April 2, 2005 - Intel D201GLY|Fusion Brain|ODBPros ODBII|Engenius|GPS Rikaline|Powermate|Motorized Lilli
      Sound Stage
      Eclipse|MTX|Infinity

Comment

Originally posted by KyferEz
        #2 is the safest.

Edit: I read this a bit wrong. I took it for granted that the M1-ATX would be used to power everything. Thus, when I posted I meant it's safest to run power wire directly from the battery's positive terminal to the M1-ATX, then use the M1-ATX to power the cpu and screen. Sorry I didn't clarify before.

Yes and Yes

KyferEz
        I agree, #2 is the safest but you must add an inline fuse. This is very important.

Comment

ZIP - I'm not really sure yet, i havent put the system together yet and am mapping everything out first.

Nicorolla - is the inline fuse the same thing as when connecting an external amp for your stereo? And this is necessary directly connecting the battery to the M1-ATX?

Comment

dude if its 12 volt then i think it would be better if u run a molex connector or a usb perhaps.

Comment

Originally posted by kasemodz
              dude if its 12 volt then i think it would be better if u run a molex connector or a usb perhaps.

usb is 5v

Comment

Originally posted by Berg997
                is the inline fuse the same thing as when connecting an external amp for your stereo? And this is necessary directly connecting the battery to the M1-ATX?
                Yes and probably yes, that wold be best. Infact, a amp powering kit is a perfect start.
                My Install Thread
                digitaljetta.com

MKIV VW Jetta
                How do I get sound to my car?

Comment

I did mine using an amp wiring kit and now i've just seen this thread with looks like a better method http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=43019
                  www.vortexleather.com

Comment

Working...
                  X