Power trouble / question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power trouble / question

I have a 80w power supply, epia mii-10000, 515 mb ram, no cd, itps, 160 gb hd that i am having trouble with. The issue is if i dont have my engine running there seems to be not enough current to power my computer. The reason I say this is my computer starts beeping then shutsdown. I have the setup wired directly to the car battery. Help!

I would monitor the battery as this is happening. Get a volt meter or multimeter and see how much volts your battery has when the computer goes into safety shutdown mode. If its below 10, then that could be your issue. Are you sure that its your computer thats beeping and not your inverter? If yoiur computer is beeping then shutting down then it may be overheating. If its the inverter then it is definetly a low voltage signal.
    Osiris Networx

--Tuning is all about price vs performance. You've got to find your own medium.--

Comment

funny thing is that this is happening not only in the car but i also conneted to a battery pack (jump start battery cables) and i got the same thing. that kind of elimanates the car being a problem. What should I do next?

Comment

I have a mulitmeter (GB Instruments GDT-11) and I have unplugged the hard drive and still conneted to battery pack (testing purposes) and the beeping sound is no longer there...when connected to house power it does boot up correctly so i know hdd is good.

Comment

Sounds like it just isnt getting enough juice. What size cable are you running to your computer. Are the connections solid? I know when i had a power problem that the computer didnt like to be connected to the battery via jumper cable clamps but would work thru the lighter socket. Does that 80watt power supply come with that computer? That may be to low.
          Osiris Networx

--Tuning is all about price vs performance. You've got to find your own medium.--

Comment

no it came with a 60w and we upgraded to the 80 watt. morex 80watt power car kit to be exact, we are using 14-16 guage wires.

Comment

we have a 15 amp fuse in the fuse holder also.

Comment

The only thing i can think of is possibly your not getting enough to the power supply. Do you have any spare lower gauge wire sitting around. I'm using 5 gauge on a 400watt inverter.
                Osiris Networx

Comment

I have done some further investingation with my multi-meter reader and have got the following findings:

Engine running (computer turned on)…
                  Battery terminal: 14.15 volts
                  Before Itps: 14.15 volts
                  After Itps: 12.01 volts

Engine not running (computer turned on)…
                  Battery terminal: 12.25 volts
                  Before Itps: 11.5 volts
                  After Itps” 10.5 volts
                  Hard drive within computer begins beeping: 10.0 volts

Engine not running (computer turned off)…
                  Battery terminal: 12.25 volts
                  Before Itps: 12.25 volts
                  After Itps: 12.25 volts (did not gauge have to assume)

These are my findings, any suggestion as to how i should go about fixing the problem so that i dont have to have the engine running in order to keep my computer on...Remember its my hard disk that's complaining by beeping.

Comment

Unfortunately there is no solution to your problem. The Itps is a linear regulator. Since linear regulators of this type generally drop a minimum of 0.6 volts all the time, that means you need atleast 12.6 volts going into the itps at all times. Your car battery just doesn't have the juice to keep it at that 12.6V when your computer is drawing 7+ amps. This wouldnt be a problem for a bigger stronger car battery if you got one. But even the biggest car battery wont last all that long under a 7amp load.
                    Another thing, that 160gb hard drive is a power hog. Those small 80watt power supplies were designed more for power saving laptop hard drives, not desktop units.

Comment

Working...
                    X