150w Opus, enough for standard ATX?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 150w Opus, enough for standard ATX?

Hi all. I've been reading up on the forums for awhile to soak in as much as I can from your experiences. Currently i'm in the planning stages of my carpc project which will be installed in my '02 Eclipse.

I'm planning to use an Opus 150w to power my project and have been trying to calculate whether this will be adequate or not. My setup will include an Asus A7A266 ATX MB, T-Bird 1.4 CPU, slimline CD/DVD, 3.5" 7200rpm HDD, SB Live, Xenarc 7" TSV. Going this route because I already have the hardware laying around and I don't want to shell out the cash right now for a new mini-ITX system.

I've done some research and it seems that 150w will theoretically be enough for this, but i'm looking for some re-assurance. Just ordered the Xenarc so i'll most likely begin some fab work on the dash next weekend. Look forward to sharing my progress with all of you.

M7NCG w/ mobile 2400+ | 512mb DDR400
    3.5" HDD | Slim DVD/CD-RW
    Linksys USB Wifi | Belkin USB BlueTooth
    Opus 150w | Xenarc 7"
    RoadRunner - Thanks Guino!

should be fine, i've seen people run p4 2.4s off of the opus 150....sometimes videocards draw a lot of power, so you gotta be careful there
    PC Components:
    Lilliput; XPC/FLEX mobo; 1.7 ghz P4 Mobile;512 DDR; 160 gb HDD; opus 150; slot usb dvd-rw
    My work log

Comment

you would be surprised what you can run off an opus. From what has been said the 150 is underratted. You should be ok with what you listed
      Never let the truth get in the way of a good story

Comment

im not so sure if the 150 is "underrated" as much as I would be sure of ...most power supplys being "overrated"....i have a 400 watts PSU....thats came with my case....thing spits out less then 300 watts
        PC Components:
        Lilliput; XPC/FLEX mobo; 1.7 ghz P4 Mobile;512 DDR; 160 gb HDD; opus 150; slot usb dvd-rw
        My work log

Comment

Here is what Opus Solutions had to say about my setup.

FROM ME:

Opus Solutions,

I must fist thank you for putting out such a fine product and offering a true alternative for those needing a 12volt dc-dc power supply. I have been looking at buying one for a computer I will be installing in my car but have been hesitant because I am unclear on something. Will your 150 watt power solution work with my Biostar micro-atx board and AMD 2400+ Sempron cpu? I thank you in advance for your help.

Michael T. Malott

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FROM OPUS:

Yes it will, but you need to tell us to do a modification on the power supply when you order

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FROM ME:

Opus Solutions,

1. You mentioned that my motherboard and CPU combo would need modification when I order. What type of modification is needed for my Biostar micro-atx board and AMD 2400+ Sempron?

2. Is this power supply compliant with the micro-atx form factor for power supplies? Basically are the mounting holes exactly the same as the mounting screws on a normal power supply so I can install it in the micro-atx case I have?

3. Your site says that the output is 90watts for the 150watt power supply. Is this a typo?

4. Is there a money back guarantee if by chance your dc-dc power supply will not work with my computer?

5. What is all included in the box when I order?

MY COMPUTER

CPU--------------------------------------AMD Sempron 2400+ 1.66mhz

BOARD---------------------------------Biostar M7IG 400

RAM-------------------------------------One 512 DDR

HARD DRIVE------------------------full size 7200rpm 40gig

CD-ROM-------------------------------full size cd/dvd drive

USB-------------------------------------4 USB ports on pc + a 4 port USB hub - GPS, keyboard, mouse, etc…

FLOPPY------------------------------standard floppy drive

Sincerely,

Michael T. Malott

FROM OPUS:

1. It's the power supply that would need a modification, not the motherboard.
          2. Yes the holes are in standard positions.
          3. It is a typo, thanks for noticing.

The CD combined with the 3.5" HDD might be overkill on the 12V rail. The 12V rail in the 150W power supply can supply no more than 5A. If you would consider a 2.5" or slim CD/DVD it would be safer.
          Also remember that you need to calculate 0.5A per USB device and per USB HUB port. That power is drawn from 5V Stand-by, which on the 150W power supply is 1-1.5A. You might want to consider an externally powered USB HUB.

This is directly from Opus, so take it as you may. There answer is the reseon that i'm not going with there product currently. I'm happy with what im running and i pretty much brought everything at once and i'm all spent out. If anyone that is running a similar or better setup as I am can confirm they havent had any problems out of their Opus than i will order mine first thing tommorow. If not then im going with the CarPC Pro version 2.4.
          Osiris Networx

--Tuning is all about price vs performance. You've got to find your own medium.--

Comment

I've found the thunderbird 1.4 processor is rated at 1.75v, 73.5 watts. Anyone familiar with how the processor pulls power? I believe it is distributed over the 12v and 5v rail.

The Opus looks like it can handle:

33w on 3.3v rail
            50w on 5v rail
            60w on 12v rail
            5w on 5v standby

I'm going to give it a shot, the video card scares me tho. Prob around 50w itself. I'm thinking about a 35w 2400+ if this doesn't work out.

M7NCG w/ mobile 2400+ | 512mb DDR400
            3.5" HDD | Slim DVD/CD-RW
            Linksys USB Wifi | Belkin USB BlueTooth
            Opus 150w | Xenarc 7"
            RoadRunner - Thanks Guino!

Comment

Working...
            X