Blew my M1-ATX

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blew my M1-ATX

So it turns out the (-) sign on the spare lcd power connector indicates the positive line, not the negative line. Either that or the black line on the power supply is positive. Either way, I blew my first M1-ATX.

Anyone else done this or am I just a schmuck?

-w
    P4MST-890 775 MicroATX Pentium Dual Core E2140 , 80GB 2.5", OPUS 320W, MS GPS, SB EXTREMEGAMER PCI, 8" LILLIPUT TS, 15" NEC TS, SIRIUS USB PC INTERFACE, STREETDECK, KICKER ZX850.4, KICKER 2500.1, 2xKICKER SS65.2, 2xKICKER 10"COMPVX

spare lcd power connector?
    2004 4runner

Comment

what are you talking about? spare lcd power connector on the m1?? hu??

there is no such thing!
      Jan Bennett
      FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Originally posted by waltwalt
        So it turns out the (-) sign on the spare lcd power connector indicates the positive line, not the negative line. Either that or the black line on the power supply is positive. Either way, I blew my first M1-ATX.

-w
        that's dumb thanks for telling me id probably do the same thing
        Peep MY TYTE WHIP yo! It's got too many ill mods to list!

Comment

Maybe hes talking about the amp turn on? or the Aux Momentary?
          1990 Jeep Cherokee
          2000 VW Golf TDI 4dr
          2005 VW GTI MKIV - SOLD

Comment

Just send it back to mini-box.com, but please let us know what you did.
            We will send you another one.

-A

-w

Comment

Hey I'm going to fry mine too -- I really want a "spare LCD power connector" too!
              2004 4runner

Comment

Settle down with the sarcasm there rondo, the spare lcd cable you can purchase from this site is what I am referring to.
                Hook it up backwards and you blow an IC on the psu, my fault, almost definately not covered unter warranty.

-w
                P4MST-890 775 MicroATX Pentium Dual Core E2140 , 80GB 2.5", OPUS 320W, MS GPS, SB EXTREMEGAMER PCI, 8" LILLIPUT TS, 15" NEC TS, SIRIUS USB PC INTERFACE, STREETDECK, KICKER ZX850.4, KICKER 2500.1, 2xKICKER SS65.2, 2xKICKER 10"COMPVX

Comment

PS. AndrewB: I've already got another psu on the way from mp3car, next day air delivery, so it should be here tomorrow.

Comment

Settle down with the sarcasm there rondo, the spare lcd cable you can purchase from this site is what I am referring to.
                    Hook it up backwards and you blow an IC on the psu, my fault, almost definately not covered unter warranty.

-w
                    Your post along with the thread title made it entirely unclear what you meant. I assume (now) that you are referring to the product sold here called the "Extra Monitor Power Cable"? If I'm looking at that right, it's just a barall plug with two wires coming off of it. The correct way to wire it is dependent on your monitor and has little to do with the M1-ATX.

In any case, it sounds like what you did was hook the 12V output of your M1-ATX strait to ground. If so, that's the key information that Andrew would probably want to understand since ideally the PSU might be designed to protect against this kind of situation (i.e. overload or short circuit protection).

Sorry for the sarcasm -- I just wanted to better understand what you did since your post made it sound as if the M1-ATX had some obvious design defect.
                    2004 4runner

Comment

So I blew the replacement. Attaching the LCD, the barrel connector inside touched the female outside, small little pop. More money down the crapper.
                      Has anyone else had this problem? Pin 2 on Q2 blows whenever the ground/power of a peripheral get reversed.

Are there other power supplies that have protection against this? Perhaps a fuse?

-w

Comment

I hate those barrel connectors, it's too easy to short the supply to ground unless you insert it *just* right. Whenever I have to plug one in, I try to make sure the connector is unpowered.
                        System status: in progress

Comment

Yeah, me too, in fact, just prior to doing this I was touting the fuse I keep inline to prevent this from happening. Unfortunately, the barrel connector seems to have a stretched wire or something inside, because you have to twist it etc. to get power into the LCD. So it had to have power applied to test it, thus my predicament.

-w

Comment

Working...
                          X