Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what would stop me from using opus 150W PLUS another PSU if that wasn't enough?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what would stop me from using opus 150W PLUS another PSU if that wasn't enough?

I've been on the fence about getting an OPus 150 to power a micro atx board like the Asus A7N8X-VM, but I've been afraid that with a few extra USB devices it might not cut it. Well, if after I set this all up and over time I add more USB devices than the Opus can take, could I just simply add another smaller, cheaper PSU like the M1-ATX or Carnetix or something to power the additional devices?

Yes, you should be able to. There was another recent thread asking parallel PSUs, and I recall google yielded some good results.

Comment

a nuclear bomb would stop you!

The M1-ATX would be a good choice as you can buy it fromt he mp3car.com shop ( ) and it has very configurable startup/shutdown features and is cheap. It can be set up to act as a slave to the Opus i believe. The manual can be downloaded from the store. Alternatively, if you jsu tneed 5V fot usb devices then build/buy a good quality 12V to 5V regualted DC-DC converter. There are some PSU projects around - see what regulators they use.

Comment

If all you're worried about powering is additional USB devices, just buy a USB hub that runs off of a 12v "wall-wart" power supply. Then cut off the wall-wart and solder on a cigarette-lighter end and plug it right into your cig lighter. Voila! You've got USB devices powered from the hub rather than the Opus.
        So far:
        M10000 Nehemiah, 1Gb RAM, Opus 90w PS, Buffalo Tech WLI2-USB2-G54, 160 Gb HDD, GlobalSat BU-353 GPS, iGuidance, Zippy EL-610, Panasonic CW8123B Slim Slot CDRW/DVD, 10" Lilliput, Sony XA-300, Sony CDX-MP30 Head, OBD-II

Comment

Originally posted by tom2112
          If all you're worried about powering is additional USB devices, just buy a USB hub that runs off of a 12v "wall-wart" power supply. Then cut off the wall-wart and solder on a cigarette-lighter end and plug it right into your cig lighter. Voila! You've got USB devices powered from the hub rather than the Opus.
          I smell smog some where
          Just make sure that the device can handle the variation/fluctuation of car voltage.
          2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
          89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
          Y2K Accord Dell GX150
          RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
          EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

plus most usb hubs need 5V, not the 12V that your car will deliver...

if that's the case, prepare to say goodbye to the hub, and possibly any devices attached

Comment

Working...
            X