M1-ATX to work with Laptop?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M1-ATX to work with Laptop?

I have a Laptop but i want to use the M1-ATX with it.... Could i just get this, plug it in the laptop then connect it to the M1-ATX??

I made a little diagram of how i plan on setting my carputer up, Let me know if this setup will work... also how many watt inverter would i need, and will the M1-ATx be able to supply power to the laptop, lilliput and 3.5" HD?
    Attached Files
    ----][--------][[-]][--------][[-]][--------][---][
    ----][-][--][-][-I-][-][][][-][-I-][---][---][I--][
    ----][-][--][-][---][-][][][-][---][--][][--][-I-][
    ][][][-][][][-][---][-][-----][---][-][--][-][--I][
    ----------------------][-Carputer-|====|75%

No way!
    Hooking up a laptop to 12V alone might work. The Lilliput and 3.5"HDD both draw about 1.5A from the M1-ATX. That's only 0.5A for the laptop -> NOT enough.

Any low wattage inverter would work because I see that you only use it to power the soundcard. Get anything that has wattage more than the power consumption of the soundcard then you should be ok.

BTW, your design is too complicated. Why so many stuffs? (especially using both inverter and M1-ATX). For the price of both, you could buy an Opus 150W. I think the less the better.
    1997-2001 Infiniti Q45 link

My Q45 cardomain link

Comment

I want the M1-ATX because it has the auto start and the auto shutdown features plus that jumper setting to allow you to keep ur comp on when u turn the car off for a little while.......Ok will the M1-ATX alone be able to power up the laptop? ....i can just buy a seperate inverter......im powering the sound card, 4 port hub on one, then the 3.5" HD and Lilliput on the other......

Comment

that will only work if you laptop is 12V my old car laptop was 19V my new laptop is 16V
        I had to get a converter at RatShack for $99 that went 12V - 19V. its really better to use DC-DC, Why go DC-AC-DC?
        1990 Jeep Cherokee
        2000 VW Golf TDI 4dr
        2005 VW GTI MKIV - SOLD

Comment

Check out the Carnetix products (www.carnetix.com), they're probably better-suited to powering a laptop than the M1-ATX. M1-ATX is a full ATX power supply, the Carnetix units provide only 12V or 19V regulated output.
          System status: in progress

Comment

Can i someway use the laptops battery then feed it continuous power, or does the battery require more than 12v?
            M1-ATX->Inverter(300watt)->Laptop battery->Laptop

Originally posted by Change
            Check out the Carnetix products (www.carnetix.com), they're probably better-suited to powering a laptop than the M1-ATX. M1-ATX is a full ATX power supply, the Carnetix units provide only 12V or 19V regulated output.
            From the CarNetix CNX-P1280 Dual Output 80 Watt 12V DC-DC Regulator info:

"It is designed to be used in conjunction with an existing DC-DC PSU that comes installed in a Mini-ITX case such as the Casetronic (Travla) C134 or C135 or the Morex 26XX/36XX series."

So i need to use this along with the M1-ATX?

Originally posted by WebDog
            that will only work if you laptop is 12V my old car laptop was 19V my new laptop is 16V
            I had to get a converter at RatShack for $99 that went 12V - 19V. its really better to use DC-DC, Why go DC-AC-DC?
            How about: M1-ATX-> ratshack 12v-19v->laptop

Comment

what do ya think
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by JuMpMaN6235
                Can i someway use the laptops battery then feed it continuous power, or does the battery require more than 12v?
                M1-ATX->Inverter(300watt)->Laptop battery->Laptop

From the CarNetix CNX-P1280 Dual Output 80 Watt 12V DC-DC Regulator info:

"It is designed to be used in conjunction with an existing DC-DC PSU that comes installed in a Mini-ITX case such as the Casetronic (Travla) C134 or C135 or the Morex 26XX/36XX series."

So i need to use this along with the M1-ATX?

How about: M1-ATX-> ratshack 12v-19v->laptop
                THe one from rat shack regulates the power so no point in using the power from M1-ATX for that.
                1990 Jeep Cherokee
                2000 VW Golf TDI 4dr
                2005 VW GTI MKIV - SOLD

Comment

Gah! So you want to use an inverter AND a DC regulator? No! Bad! No cookie!

Laptops require regulated DC input of one particular voltage (such as 15V or 19V). Mini-ITX and other "normal" computer motherboards require a range of voltages (3.3V, 5V, +/-12V), hence the requirement for ATX power supplies with their wide assortment of wires sprouting out of them.

Now, there are some ATX power supplies that take regulated 12V in and provide regulated ATX power out (PW-200M for example)...this is where the Carnetix P1260 and P1280 are used. So, unregulated power to the Carnetix to the ATX supply to the motherboard. Or, you can use the M1-ATX to provide ATX power from unregulated vehicle power. For the laptop, which takes regulated power in, the P1900 (if your laptop uses 19V input) will take the unregulated vehicle power and feed the laptop with it.

For more, search the forums, read more posts, and check out the Carnetix forums.

But avoid inverters as much as you can, they're very inefficient.
                  System status: in progress

Comment

Originally posted by Change
                    Laptops require regulated DC input of one particular voltage (such as 15V or 19V).
                    Doesnt the Laptops battery regulate the Output to whatever the laptops Voltage is? Wouldnt the inverter just act as a wall outlet, when the battery plugs into it then plugs into the laptop the battery will have continuous power to the laptop?

Comment

OMG what the hell is going on here? an inveter running from a DC-DC supply??? WTF? I don't meant o flame you dude but you seriously need to go learn somtheing baout electical circuits and ATX PSUs.

The whole working behind the shutdoen and startup features for the M1-ATX is that it is an ATX psu designed to work with an ATX mobo so it can tell the PC to shut down and tell the PC when to start up - you cannot do this with a laptop.

Also the laptop is likely to be 15-19V so you cannot power tha laptop direct from the 12V output.

I really don't know what you are thinking wanting to use the M1-ATX to keep the car on during cranking/off for a while - the laptop has battery - cranking is not an issue for it - only for the other devices such as the external HDD. Also how will the M1-ATX tell the laptop to start up???? it cannot.

The way you make the laptop shotdown automaticaly is it set it to turn off/hibernate/standby 'X' amount of minutes after the power supply is turned off. To start it you have no resume on power restore like desktop mobos so need to trigger it by somehow pressing the switch or via WOL etc.

The is a very good thread witha circuit designed to make your laptop startup and shut down autmatically. You also want to set your laptop to initally go into standby (suspend to RAM) and then hibernate (suspent to HDD) or shut down when the battery gets down to say 10% - this can be done in either windows or the bios normally.

To power your laptop you want to use a DC-DC converter.

Comment

Originally posted by JuMpMaN6235
                        Doesnt the Laptops battery regulate the Output to whatever the laptops Voltage is? Wouldnt the inverter just act as a wall outlet, when the battery plugs into it then plugs into the laptop the battery will have continuous power to the laptop?
                        I presume you want to use the laptop power supply in betweent he inverter and the battery???? that is ok but messy. the DC-DC is the best route.

Comment

another thing, you do know an ATX psu had outputs for +12V, +5V, +3V, -12V, -5V, and 5vsb. these are all designed for the requirments of the mobo and drives etc. using it lik this is a complete waste and it will not function as you want it too.

Comment

Originally posted by Scouse Monkey
                            Also the laptop is likely to be 15-19V so you cannot power tha laptop direct from the 12V output.

I really don't know what you are thinking wanting to use the M1-ATX to keep the car on during cranking - the laptop has battery - cranking is not an issue for it - only for the other devices such as the external HDD. Also how will the M1-ATX tell the laptop to start up???? it cannot.

The way you make the laptop shotdown automaticaly is it set it to turn off/hibernate/standby 'X' amount of minutes after the power supply is turned off. To start it you have no resume on power restore like desktop mobos so need to trigger it by somehow pressing the switch or via WOL etc.

The is a very good thread witha circuit designed to make your laptop startup and shut down autmatically. You also want to set your laptop to initally go into standby (suspend to RAM) and then hibernate (suspent to HDD) or shut down when the battery gets down to say 10% - this can be done in either windows or the bios normally.

To power your laptop you want to use a DC-DC converter.
                            ok im starting to understand what you guys are saying.....i need to forget about the M1-ATX and get something like this? ......Now i see your Hybernate X time = shutoff laptop, BUT what about all the components (external HD, Audigy 2 Sound, 4 USB port hub,).... after the comp goes into auto turn off... those components will still say on, What can i do about that?

Also for tuning it back on u said i need to either press the button... or us a WOL..... what is a WOL

Comment

now you are getitng there - but that power supply looks a bit **** to be honest. there are better ones. You also don't want to use the ciggy lighter. wire it up to you battery with a nice fuse on the +ve wire as close to the battery as possible.

For the external drives you could use an M1-ATX but set it so that it comes on when the PC turns on it powers up and set it to shutdown AFTER the PC has shut down or gone into hibernation. But you woud only be using the 5V line for the USB and soundcard and the 12v for a HDD if it is 3,5" or 5V if it is 2.5". What you would be better doing is getting a good quality 5V Dc-DC with a good few amps output and another one for 12V and using a shutdown controller to do as i said before. The M1 is not a bad idea to use to power the extra peripherals but it is a waste using a 90W PSU for a few things.

EDIT: even cheaper - use a relay powered whent he laptop comes on to turn on the power for the drives btu also have it desined so that it only cuts power whent he laptop is in sleep..

There will be solutions to this from people who have used laptops.

simplest way i can think is power a small 5v relay off the mouse port or a USB connector and use this in parrallel to one off the power supply intot he laptop - this second one avoids any problems that may arise from the peripherals not being powered immediately when the laptop is turned on due to lags with the relay anf the stabilising of the power supplies to them. The mouse port/USB relay ensures they remain on until the laptop has entered sleep.

Comment

Working...
                              X