M1-ATX + AMD Athlon Mobile!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M1-ATX + AMD Athlon Mobile!!

I got so tired of the M10000, no 800x480, no cpu power and lousy onboard audio
    After some testing and fiddling around I found a solution for my existing M1-ATX.

I'm using the following components:
    Mainboard: ASUS A7N8X-E (Deluxe)
    CPU: AMD Mobile Athlon +2400 (running at 1.07 GHz)
    Memory: 1 x 256 MB DDR 2700
    Graphics card: ATI Radeon 9000 64 MB DDR DVI+TV
    Soundcard: Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS
    HD: 2.5 Travelstar

I measured the following currents under continous use:
    +5 V 7 A peak 9 A (not including HD)
    +3,3 V 4 A
    +12 0,4 A
    No problem for the M1-ATX. Unless I start with serious 3d-gaming in the car.

But I also tried with an ASUS A7N8X-VM/400 with integrated graphics, no luck, to much load on the +5 V (>9A). I think it feeds the graphics with +5V.

I will do some further tests before throwing it in my car. The M1-ATX looks so tiny compared to the ATX mainboard. It's possible to make a very nice and low casing with help of a AGP+PCI risercard http://linitx.com/product_info.php?c...roducts_id=431

That's right at the 50W combined limit for the 5V/12V rails on the M1-ATX.

5V @ 9A = 45W
    12V @ 400mA = 4.8W
    Combined Power = 49.8W
    2004 4runner

Comment

Originally posted by olja
      But I also tried with an ASUS A7N8X-VM/400 with integrated graphics, no luck, to much load on the +5 V (>9A). I think it feeds the graphics with +5V.
      This exactly the problem I have. The Sproggy with 10A on 5V didn't cut it, so I have to modify the board a little to make 15A on 5.0V and only 5A on 3.3V. That works but not 100% perfect. Normally it will work fine, but if you put in a DVD/CD ROM, the system will free untill the spin up process is done. Thru Asus probe, I can see the 5V line is dropping, but not the 12V line. My conclusion is that the 5V line is week. Also I read somewhere on the net (pcperpective ???) and the guy test that the AMD CPU with Asus mobo (most Asus mobo) use most power from 5V rail.

I am in the process of modifying my PSU to make another add-on 5V for HD and DVD ROM.
      2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
      89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
      Y2K Accord Dell GX150
      RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
      EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

Originally posted by MatrixPC
        This exactly the problem I have. The Sproggy with 10A on 5V didn't cut it, so I have to modify the board a little to make 15A on 5.0V and only 5A on 3.3V. That works but not 100% perfect. Normally it will work fine, but if you put in a DVD/CD ROM, the system will free untill the spin up process is done. Thru Asus probe, I can see the 5V line is dropping, but not the 12V line. My conclusion is that the 5V line is week. Also I read somewhere on the net (pcperpective ???) and the guy test that the AMD CPU with Asus mobo (most Asus mobo) use most power from 5V rail.
        I measured only 0,8 A @ 3,3V rail with the A7N8X-VM/400!

Comment

@Olja: Did the A7N8X-E take the AMD Mobile without any issues? I read some where that some sort of mod is required to get the mobile to work. I am also looking into this combo and like to know if it would work.

Comment

how did you measure the power cosumption of the 5v rail?
            By putting all the 5v rails of the ATX connector together?

Comment

Originally posted by kingtut
              @Olja: Did the A7N8X-E take the AMD Mobile without any issues? I read some where that some sort of mod is required to get the mobile to work. I am also looking into this combo and like to know if it would work.
              I've found only one minor problem. It's not possible to set the Vcore below 1,525 V. My CPU specified for 1,35 V runs happily on 1,525 V. I don't know if this affects the power req..

No mods req.

Comment

Originally posted by halve85
                how did you measure the power cosumption of the 5v rail?
                By putting all the 5v rails of the ATX connector together?
                Yes, I bundled all of the 5 V cables together.

Comment

Originally posted by olja
                  I've found only one minor problem. It's not possible to set the Vcore below 1,525 V. My CPU specified for 1,35 V runs happily on 1,525 V. I don't know if this affects the power req..

No mods req.

Can't you undervolt the CPU by Software in windows?
                  Undervolting will affect a much lower power consumption (much more than underclocking!!!)

Comment

Can't you undervolt the CPU by Software in windows?
                    Undervolting will affect a much lower power consumption (much more than underclocking!!!)
                    I tried to find software that will allow me to change Vcore in Windows, no luck. Anyone?

Comment

so my Biostar M7NCG 400 (µATX with onboard sound & graphics) has just arrived! I installed my Athlon XP 1700+ (Palomino) on it. Underclocked the CPU to 1100Mhz and undervolted it to 1,3V Vcore.

Now the power consumption:
                      5V rail -> 5-6A
                      3,3V rail -> 4A
                      12V rail -> 0,2A

System: Mainboard with Graphic & Sound onboard, CPU, PCI-WLAN-Card
                      HDD will follow (small 2,5" will just consume 2,5W on the 5V rail)

I'm very happy! I can use the M1-ATX now with my system!

Comment

so my Biostar M7NCG 400 (µATX with onboard sound & graphics) has just arrived! I installed my Athlon XP 1700+ (Palomino) on it. Underclocked the CPU to 1100Mhz and undervolted it to 1,3V Vcore.

Now the power consumption:
                        5V rail -> 5-6A
                        3,3V rail -> 4A
                        12V rail -> 0,2A

System: Mainboard with Graphic & Sound onboard, CPU, PCI-WLAN-Card
                        HDD will follow (small 2,5" will just consume 2,5W on the 5V rail)

I'm very happy! I can use the M1-ATX now with my system!
                        I managed also to buy a M7NCG-400. It works perfect with my Mobile Athlon
                        XP-M +2400. I'm running the CPU at full speed 1800 MHz.

I measured the following power consumption when stressing the system:
                        5V = 6-7A (only 3-4A during normal Road Runner operation)
                        3.3V = 4A
                        12V = 0.3A

Total power consumption of the M1-ATX = max 50-60 W. Including 1 x 2.5 HD, Slimline CD, 2 x 128 MB DDR PC2100 and a Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS.
                        I will also power my Lilliput from the M1-ATX. Maybe it's possible to power a setup like this with a 90W Opus.

It's a quite fast setup, It beats my 1.7 GHz P4 desktop I'm satisfied now, 800 x 480 working and good sound quality.

Comment

Hey olja...

I'm considering the same mobo (M7NCG-400), with an Athlon Mobile CPU. Newegg has a 2200+ @ 35W and also a 2400+ @ 45W. They both cost the same ($79), so I wonder why not buy the 2400+, and if anything, underclock it for lower wattage.

Do you know if this is possible to do? (underclocking) with this mobo and CPU?

Also, how is the sound quality of the M7NCG-400? better than the M10000 EPIAs?

Thanks a lot!
                          2002 Honda CR-V
                          Carputer progress: 90% [▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ -]
                          Spent so far: $1105.90

Download the NEXUS Skin for Centrafuse
                          ...or even Listen to my music

Comment

I am considering going micro ATX and going with the biostar M7NCG-400.

Can you tell about the S/PDIF out. Thats how i will be running the sound and it is a necessity. Also is the opus 90w a more powerful PSU than the M1-ATX?

Thanks
                            -Jesus- King of Kings Lord of Lords

Comment

justintime: Yes, you can change Vcore, multiplier and bus speed on the M7NCG-400.
                              I'm using a Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS and have not tried the onboard audio.

Antimatter: I have not tried the S/PDIF out. There is a connector on the mainboard, but no bracket was included in the box (listed as optional in the manual).

I've tried to run my setup with both M1-atx and Opus 90W, no problem. But I think that the M1-atx it's better for my setup, 10 A on the 5 V rail compared to OPUS 6 A. I noticed that the Opus was running cooler than the M1-atx (measured with my fingertip). Ituner suggested to add some extra cooling to the M1-atx.

Comment

Working...
                              X