M1-ATX Ignition Connection

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M1-ATX Ignition Connection

I have checked the forums and from what I can tell if I wish to test the M1-ATX using a bench psu I just connect the IGN connection to the + terminal is this correct, I dont want to blow my M1-ATX

Also I a bit of a newbie when it comes to car electrical systems, where do I fing the IGN on my car?? in the fuse box?? sorry for such a simple question but I couldnt find any answers.
    System:
    256Mb, PIII 533 on a Hyph01 PCI sized mobo (Lan/Sound/GFX)
    M1-ATX PSU
    250GB Hdd

USB:
    Haicom GPS
    Belkin Wireless

Case:
    Installed in an old NTL box, (best thing for it)

Screen:
    LinITX 7"

I believe if you remove all the jumpers you shouldn't need to connect the switched input at all to bench test it.

Otherwise, with the jumpers in place, you just need to wire +12V to the switched input.

You can find (one of many most likely) the IGN+ wires coming from the ignition switch near the steering column. But if that's inconvenient, you can always tap into a remote turn-on lead from your amps (if you have any) or any ignition-switched +12V connection.

A good source of car wiring info can be had here: http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/vehicles.asp (you'll need to register first)
    89 Supra Turbo

Comment

Assuming your bench psu is outputting between 12 to 13.5volts DC, then yes, the IGN lead goes to + (positive).

The easiest place to find IGN is at the fuseblock. It will depend on your year/make/model of car as to exactly how it will be marked. What car do you have?

Another location is where your original headunit was plugged in. There will be a battery line (constant +12volts) and an ignition line (switched +12volts).

Comment

Originally posted by Saab9-5
        Assuming your bench psu is outputting between 12 to 13.5volts DC, then yes, the IGN lead goes to + (positive).
        The M1-ATX is rated for operation upto 24V and (depending on the jumper settings) can operate down in the 8V range or lower too. For full bench testing, your input power should be 11V-24V for the battery and IGN inputs.
        2004 4runner

Comment

Thanks Guys,

Thinking about it I have 3 options:

1.) Ciggy lighter, this is switched by the IGN
          2.) Stereo IGN connection
          3.) Amp start up connection, is this 12V?

The bench unit I have is a 10A 12V unit, it used to be used for a CB radio so it is perfect for simulating a car battery

P.s the car is an MGF
          System:
          256Mb, PIII 533 on a Hyph01 PCI sized mobo (Lan/Sound/GFX)
          M1-ATX PSU
          250GB Hdd

USB:
          Haicom GPS
          Belkin Wireless

Case:
          Installed in an old NTL box, (best thing for it)

Screen:
          LinITX 7"

Comment

Working...
          X