Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Power USB hub from psu

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Power USB hub from psu

    I have seen that several people are powering USB hubs off the 5v line from thier psu. is there any beneift of doing this over a bus powered hub? Does running the hub right off the psu draw more power than a bus powered hub would?

    I have been looking for a 12v -> 5v adapter that can handle 2 amps for my hub, but cant find any. I might run it off my psu, but i dont want any unneeded draw on the psu.
    System: AMD Duron 1200+ , 512 MB ram , usb sb mp3+ , Tview 7" touchscreen , M1-ATX PSU , Slot Load iMac DVD-Rom , 40 GB laptop HDD, netgear USB 802.11g

    Progress: Installation: 90% Dash fabrication: 80%

    Parts Needed: USB GPS

  • #2
    Originally posted by meyer64
    I have seen that several people are powering USB hubs off the 5v line from thier psu. is there any beneift of doing this over a bus powered hub? Does running the hub right off the psu draw more power than a bus powered hub would?

    I have been looking for a 12v -> 5v adapter that can handle 2 amps for my hub, but cant find any. I might run it off my psu, but i dont want any unneeded draw on the psu.
    It wont use any more power than running off the bus. You are best running it off the PSU and putting a suitable fuse in-line
    Ford Focus MP3 : www.stevieg.org/carpc Blog Updated 29 January 2009!
    Car PC Status: Complete - Undergoing Software Redevelopment

    Comment


    • #3
      my hub is capable of being powered externally or by the bus. if the power is comming from the psu anyway, what difference does it make?
      System: AMD Duron 1200+ , 512 MB ram , usb sb mp3+ , Tview 7" touchscreen , M1-ATX PSU , Slot Load iMac DVD-Rom , 40 GB laptop HDD, netgear USB 802.11g

      Progress: Installation: 90% Dash fabrication: 80%

      Parts Needed: USB GPS

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by meyer64
        my hub is capable of being powered externally or by the bus. if the power is comming from the psu anyway, what difference does it make?
        There is only a certain amount of current that you can draw from the bus.
        Ford Focus MP3 : www.stevieg.org/carpc Blog Updated 29 January 2009!
        Car PC Status: Complete - Undergoing Software Redevelopment

        Comment


        • #5
          So does anyone know how to power a powered USB hub off a molex or some other line from the power supply rather than through the bus? I got a hub that can pull either from the bus or a power line and I'd prefer to use the power line because bus power sucks, I've already maxed it out using too many devices and I'm hoping drawing straight from the Opus rather than through the bus will help.
          A car without turbo is a car with perpetual lag.

          My Ride
          My New Page

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by maxxell
            So does anyone know how to power a powered USB hub off a molex or some other line from the power supply rather than through the bus? I got a hub that can pull either from the bus or a power line and I'd prefer to use the power line because bus power sucks, I've already maxed it out using too many devices and I'm hoping drawing straight from the Opus rather than through the bus will help.
            Yes what does it say is the power in (or what is the wall adapter voltage)
            Ford Focus MP3 : www.stevieg.org/carpc Blog Updated 29 January 2009!
            Car PC Status: Complete - Undergoing Software Redevelopment

            Comment


            • #7
              could i connect my usb hub to my ITPS?

              thanks.
              2001 Acura CL traded for a 2006 Subaru Legacy GT
              7" Lilliput Touchscreen
              NANO-ITX+m1-atx
              512 DDRsodimm
              60g SATA Laptop HD
              4x Apple DVDslot
              digimoto OBDii
              mS GPS
              mini BT keyboard
              relocated HU faceplate

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by stevieg
                Yes what does it say is the power in (or what is the wall adapter voltage)
                Couldn't tell ya. I'm on break so I'm not home. The box for the hub is home. Why does that matter, by the way?
                A car without turbo is a car with perpetual lag.

                My Ride
                My New Page

                Comment


                • #9
                  if its not 5 or 12 volts, then your **** out of luck
                  PC Components:
                  Lilliput; XPC/FLEX mobo; 1.7 ghz P4 Mobile;512 DDR; 160 gb HDD; opus 150; slot usb dvd-rw
                  My work log

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I was thinking about something similiar... I have M1-atx and one dc-dc psu (not using now) .. what about power usb hub from the second non cranking suitable ps?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      no problem with this, its pretty much common sense stuff here.......i'll be powering most of my components with an ITPS & snapon PSU that I never ended up using. But remember if you drop power on the hub and repower it while the PC is on, you might loose your devices
                      PC Components:
                      Lilliput; XPC/FLEX mobo; 1.7 ghz P4 Mobile;512 DDR; 160 gb HDD; opus 150; slot usb dvd-rw
                      My work log

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        A mobo's USB header only gives 500mA. That's enough for a passive HUB but if you plan to use devices like usb-powered Zip250, or a hungry webcam, it may not work, cause these devices needs each and every miliAmp.

                        A common 4-port externally powered USB2 hub need 5V & 2.2 A (4 x 0.5A + 0.2A for the hub itself). Powering the hub from a molex is the easiest way, because the 5v rail of a molex is produced by PWM, not linear regul, so no watt wasted in heat.

                        Add a relay to control the 5v line from a 12v fan header, and you'll be sure that all usb devices are off when pc is off.

                        Phidget has 4-port hub powered from 12v, iirc.
                        Now Galileo is real. Muhahahahaha :p

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by DeltaFX
                          A mobo's USB header only gives 500mA. That's enough for a passive HUB, but if you plan to use devices like usb-powered Zip250, or a hungry webcam, it may not work, cause these devices need all the 500mA.

                          A common 4-port externally powered USB2 hub need 5V & 2.2 A (4 x 0.5A + 0.2A for the hub itself). Powering the hub from a molex is the easiest way, because the 5v rail of a molex is produced by PWM, not linear regul, so no watt wasted in heat.

                          Add a relay to control the 5v line from a 12v fan header, and you'll be sure that all usb devices are off when pc is off.
                          Sounds right to me, only thing I would add is to ensure you use an inline fuse to be on the safe side.
                          Ford Focus MP3 : www.stevieg.org/carpc Blog Updated 29 January 2009!
                          Car PC Status: Complete - Undergoing Software Redevelopment

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            if i want to power 2 usb hubs, could i use the 5v line or should i use the 12v... (or should i just get the f-ing 7 port hub )

                            i need to power the hub and a full size dvd rom... i was thinking of making a make shift extension that plugs into a molex on the psu, the 5v wire goes to usb hub and the 12v goes to the dvd rom? they both should be grounded? which part of the 4 on the board needs to go to ground?
                            [4Runna]

                            next - wifi

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X