DC-DC PSU for 6pin input

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DC-DC PSU for 6pin input

I am using an old iCue book PC (BkMVP4 AMD 450 MHz made by Amptron) for my Carputer build. The motherboard has a 6pin atx connector from a 100Watt 2Amp power supply.

Pin 1 - 5vsb
    Pin 2 - Ground
    Pin 3 - Ground
    Pin 4 - PS on
    Pin 5 - +12v
    Pin 6 - +12v

I would prefer not to use DC-AC-DC and would appreciate any suggestions for a DC-DC power supply, or 20pin atx to 6 pin atx adaptor for DC-DC power supplies.
    Vauxhall Astra SXi Car PC installed.

This might be the answer, although it is only 80W.
    http://www.opussolutions.com/modules...article&sid=25

You would need to check how much current each line draws.

Output: 80W
    +5V: 8A Max, 10A Peak
    +5V STDBY: 1A Max, 1.5A Peak
    +12V: 3.3A Max, 4A Peak
    Power supply overall efficiency >90%

Would be alot better than DC>AC>DC

From what I've read about it, it only takes
    +5V STDBY: 1.5VA
    +12V: 6A

Call Opus and find out if you can get the 80W with just 12V and 5V SB.
    It should produce:
    +5V STDBY: 1-1.5A
    +12V: 6.7A
    Changing the connector from 8 to 6 pin shouldn't be a problem.
    I'll spout simplistic opinions for hours on end.
    Ridicule anyone who disagrees with me,
    and generally foster divisiveness,
    cynicism and lower level of public dialog!

Comment

...or you could try the CarNetix P1280 in the MP3Car.com store. It can provide [email protected] plus [email protected], plus startup/shutdown control, delayon for audio amps, and pulse start.

Do you know the current requirements for the +12V & +5V rails?
      MikeH

Comment

Power supply

Would this http://www.mp3car.com/store/product_...products_id=29 product be a viable option? I would appreciate any advice. The only problem would be the lack of startup/shutdown controller, I guess?

Comment

Dave,

The PW70 requires a regulated +12V input to operate properly in an automotive environment. If you only need +12V and +5V out, the PW70 would be redundant.
          MikeH

Comment

The power requirements are:-

Yellow +12v 5.5A
            Purple 5vsb 0.8A
            Black Ground Return
            Green PS-on Signal

The 6pin connector is the only output from the PSU. All peripherals are powered from the motherboard. I don't want to fry the mobo and feel dc-dc is the best solution, i just want to be sure before attempting the install.

Cheers

Comment

Dave,

That sounds like a perfect fit for the P1280. Use the primary output to feed the +12V and the secondary output as your +5VSB. You can jumper the +5 for "always on" so that it is always present when your battery is connected. The PS-ON is the ACPI out of the P1280.
              MikeH

Comment

MikeH,
                Thanks for your help. Will give the P1280 a go. Cheers.

Comment

MikeH,

Does the motherboard need the 5vsb or is purely to provide power to enable 'wake up on LAN'. In which case would the P1260 be sufficient.

Once again, thanks for your advice.

Comment

Dave,

I'm not really sure. But the P1280 is a bit beefier (5.5 amps) than the P1260 (5 amps). If you end up adding several power-hungry USB devices (ie Audigy 2NX sound card, wifi, etc) you'll need the extra +5V power anyway. I'd recommend sticking with the P1280.
                    MikeH

Comment

MikeH,

The P1280 is a DC regulator. Can the input be connected to the battery/12v supply and provide an output to the motherboard without any other devices, as the case PSU is an 100-250v ac input or will a DC-DC PSU be required. If so, do you have any to recommend.

Cheers,

Comment

The P1280 is a DC regulator.
                        Correct. The P1280 is a DC-DC regulator. It takes +12V DC in, and provides a regulated +12V & +5V DC out.
                        Can the input be connected to the battery/12v supply
                        Yes. It can take an input form 7.5V to 18V at full load (ie it survives cranking).
                        and provide an output to the motherboard without any other devices
                        If the information in your first post is correct....then yes. It will provide +12V @ 5.5 amps and +5V @ 3amps.
                        or will a DC-DC PSU be required. If so, do you have any to recommend.
                        Again, the P1280 IS a DC-DC regulator. This should be all you need.
                        MikeH

Comment

Thanks. Everything is clear now. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Comment

MikeH,

I have just received a P1280 today as the solution for my dc-dc supply. To my amazement, the J2 output from the P1280, or should in say the plug that goes into the J2 output is identical to the power supply input plug to my motherboard. Could you please tell my the plug name or how to get another J2 output lead so as I can produce a professional finish to the power supply install and allow the ac power supply unit to remain intact.

Your assistance is much appreciated.

Cheers,

Comment

Dave,

Sure. The output mating connector (Molex 39-01-2060) and pins (44476-3112 or 1112) are on THIS page of our website (same as P1260). You can order them thru DigiKey.

Enjoy!
                              MikeH

Comment

Working...
                              X