Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have a 12V 7.2aH UPC Battery, can I use it as backup??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a 12V 7.2aH UPC Battery, can I use it as backup??

I have a new 12V 7.2aH battery from an APC Smart UPS and I was wondering if I could use it as a backup. I have actually spent several days searching and came up with lots of randoms threads but Im still confused. Have you ever thought about something to much and started questioning your answers Yeah, thats what I did. Anywho...any answers or directions to posts would be great. Thanks in advance.

Yes. Why would you think you couldn't use it? According to your specs, your battery can supply 7.2 amps for one hour. It could supply more than 7.2 amps, say, 14.4 amps but it would only last 1/2 hour.

I believe the proper equation is Watts = Volts X Amps. If you draw 60 watts while on, you'd need 60 = 12 X 5 amps, which would last you a little over an hour on that battery.

Someone with better electrical knowledge than I can tell you if I've gotten the calculation correct.

Search on "tank circuit" for info on how to incorporate a backup battery into a carpc circuit. I think that's what you're trying to do.
    Originally posted by ghettocruzer
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

UPC Battery have less charge voltage then in car (~14,5). Use diode (or two) to decrease charge voltage and isolate comp from main power source....

Comment

Working...
      X