Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• isolator setup

Ok, I'm just double checking here, but please help me verify

I currently bought an optima yellowtop for aux battery, and this solenoid isolator:

The instructions that came with it state:

"The two small terminals are for switching the relay on and off. Either one of the small terminals should be connected to chassis ground or other ground, and the other terminal to switching power ouput. Switching power must be b/w 10-14 volts dc. The relay draws less than 1 amp when switched on.

Battery or main power leads use the large terminals. Either one may be incoming power. Fuse all the power leads at the battery or batteries."

Does this mean I just hook one big terminal to my starter batter, the other one to my optima, and have a switched source to the small terminal and ground for the other?

Is this thing basically a high current relay? and my batteries will be in parallel when the isolator is switched on? Is this bad for the batteries?

Any help would be much appreciated, thanx~!
    90% done - Sempron 64 2600+, MSI RS480M, 512mb, 80gb hd, 7" Lilliput, 802.11g pci, Itrek gps, Panasonic slim slot DVD/CDRW (broke :( ), Hauppage Wintv, Iguidance 2.0, Opus 150w, Griffin Powermate, Optima Yellowtop, Infiniti 6002i & 9603i

My Install

bulgogi777, what you've got there isn't a true isolator but a starter relay. To protect the batteries, provide charging voltage to each and not have one drain/affect the other, you need a true battery isolator. You can get them from most auto parts stores or JC Whitney. Here's a link for details: http://www.bcae1.com/battiso.htm.
    Attached Files

Comment

so would this work for me?

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...tnumber=9523AD
      90% done - Sempron 64 2600+, MSI RS480M, 512mb, 80gb hd, 7" Lilliput, 802.11g pci, Itrek gps, Panasonic slim slot DVD/CDRW (broke :( ), Hauppage Wintv, Iguidance 2.0, Opus 150w, Griffin Powermate, Optima Yellowtop, Infiniti 6002i & 9603i

My Install

Comment

Bad link. I used a sure power isolator and it works good. You are right about the connections on the relay. It is basically a high amp relay. The problem is that say your aux battery is dead, and you try to start your car. The main batt. will be trying to recharge the dead aux and start the car at the same time. Imho its not the way to go.
        2.4 celeron
        150 watt OPUS
        micro atx
        xp pro
        tv/radio tuner card
        audigy
        Dual monitor Radeon
        802.11G Mimo
        xm pcr
        dvd
        gps
        8" Lilliput touch screen
        IGuidance
        dual optimas
        battery isolator
        15" screen
        My Truck

Comment

Hey i got a question, Let say my alternator is 120A would i need to get a 120A isolator? or would a 80A work fine?
          1990 Jeep Cherokee
          2000 VW Golf TDI 4dr
          2005 VW GTI MKIV - SOLD

Comment

Working...
          X