Search for a better way....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Search for a better way....

I've been reading through the forums like mad for the last week (since i found this site) and searching the net for almost a month, and still am unable to find a good, high power, dc-dc, regulated power supply, anyone want to just kick out some ideas?
    Da_Kooz

Oh, and I also want it to be simple, that i and others could expound upon themselves, and yes i did notice master's mks
    Da_Kooz

Comment

use a lower power system
      Signature: [==||========] 20% complete

Comment

Build a Sproggy...
        Oh.. You wanted it SIMPLE

Those are your two options. Build a sproggy or go with a lower-power setup.
        Deal with it or do something to create a better option for yourself and/or the rest of us.
        Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
        How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

That's about what I expected, thanks anyway guyz.
          I'm still working on it, and if I do come up with anything i'll post it
          Da_Kooz

Comment

What is it you're wanting to power?

List it here, and we'll tell you what to do.

Garry
            Co-Developer of A.I.M.E.E
            www.aimee.cc

Comment

well, anything that comes from Mastero generally isn't that great, or well designed...

I have been working on a switchmode PSU that is basically the same as a mains powered one, but that will run off 10-16 volts...

so, instead of using underrated switchmode ICs for each rail, there will be a single switchmode controller IC, and a transformer with multiple secondary windings for each rail

ummm... should be good for 300watts, and fairly small... reliable, and easy to build... only thing is, you have to wind your own transformer..

Comment

>never_stock
                That sounds good, I'd like to see some plans if it works out.
                >confused
                i want to power a some stuff i have laying around, i think it's around 500mhz on an atx board, onboard video-might use a vid card if i want/need svideo or composite out, sound blaster 5.1 card, and a standard dvd drive. that's the base anyway, but i want to get that worked out first and have plenty of power left over for add-ons...
                Da_Kooz

Comment

should be good for 300watts
                  You realize you will be pulling 25 Amps through the primary windings (assuming 100% efficiency). It will have to be a specialized transformer indeed! It can be done, but you'll be dealing with very high switch frequencies, and a very tight transformer design. Not to criticize or anything, but you’re not the first poster to promise the world. If you pull it off you'll be a hero around here .

Walt
                  Walts DC DC ATX Power Supply

Comment

i have an idea for making a high current voltage regulator out of an old multimeter and some caps....i know it sounds crazy, buy i don't really have anything to lose by trying...
                    Da_Kooz

Comment

fusion in a tolilet... Good Luck
                      TruckinMP3
                      D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

anyone want to comment on this? i have an idea, using an analog type multimeter with a pin. if i ripped it out of the case, could i run current through the needle? and if i could, it would rub against a board, which would activate different relays depending upon the voltage. the relays would run current through the power supply to a cap, but the different relays would run through different resistors. this idea would also have a couple more caps and diodes...
                        Da_Kooz

Comment

肚子笑痛了
                          S60 Install

Comment

Originally posted by waltsongs
                            You realize you will be pulling 25 Amps through the primary windings (assuming 100% efficiency). It will have to be a specialized transformer indeed! It can be done, but you'll be dealing with very high switch frequencies, and a very tight transformer design. Not to criticize or anything, but you’re not the first poster to promise the world. If you pull it off you'll be a hero around here .

Walt
                            that is a good point... if a single transformer doesn't look like it will work, theres nothing stopping me from trying a seperate transformer and switchmode IC for each rail... the IC's are only a buck, and the three circuits can be identical apart from the transformer windings, and feedback resistors

another thing.... car amp... switchmode powersupply... I have a few.... highest power is 1000watts of output power.... next is 450watts.... 200watts.... and a few lower power.... so... She'll be right

Comment

have an idea, using an analog type multimeter with a pin. if i ripped it out of the case, could i run current through the needle? and if i could, it would rub against a board, which would activate different relays depending upon the voltage. the relays would run current through the power supply to a cap, but the different relays would run through different resistors. this idea would also have a couple more caps and diodes...
                              That's definately a novel and different approach. I'm afraid it's just not practical though. Meter movements are very sensitive mechanical devices, supported by jewelled bearings and two coil springs that distort like crazy if you even breath on them hard. In addition, the meter movement could never respond quickly enough to transients. By the time it moved and switched in a different resistor, you'd have Kentucky Fried computer. Definately "out of the box" thinking though and I like that.

Walt
                              Walts DC DC ATX Power Supply

Comment

Working...
                              X