No announcement yet.

Whats the best way to power a computer?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats the best way to power a computer?

Thinking of making a project for a LCD screen(7") with a Dell Optiplex(p4 2.8, 1gb, 40gb).

Whats the best way to power this up, what would I need?
    Is it easy to assemble yourself?
    What happens when the car is stationary, would I need to shut it down manually?

Regards

PLease see the link in the bottom of my sig....

You will get a S**TLOAD of links if you search these terms, but if you take the time to read through some of them, you will find what you need.

two choices.....

Inverter (search term)
    DC-DC (search term)

Also you might look in the store to see what is offered under Power Supply (search term) then search for those particular items.... once you know more, you can search using more specific terms.

There are many posts in the newbie section about this particular issue.

Good Luck and watch out for the spoon in flames clothing.
    EPIA M10000, 512 Ram, Opus 90, GPS, XM, 7" Xenarc, Pioneer HU
    Installed & Working....
    Custom enclosures
    Newbie Guide

Comment

Did you read anything in the newbie section!

For god sake! I hate to flame you, i really do but you obviously havent done any research and expect someone to jsut give you the answers!

please, please go here http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=35 and read the FAQs and then do some searching.

i wish you luck with you project but you have to do the reading.

Comment

1) My fault for not reading newbie section, didn't actually see it. TBH i though there would be a sticky at the top of the section, detailing way of what i am asking.

2) When i typed inverter in the search, many results turned up with complicated questions

3) Thanks for the link

4) Thanks for your luck

5) Sorry for disturbing the peace.

Comment

Davidjones90 gets the award for most humble reply to a flame.

(insert golf clap)

If you keep reading the search results you will eventually find your answers and gain a lot more knowledge than just the answer to which should I use. At least then you will be making an educated decision on what YOU want for YOUR computer..... the Newbie section is a great place to start. The search results are complicated, but the more you read the more you understand.... it will all become clear in time.

Once again, good luck.
          Installed & Working....
          Custom enclosures
          Newbie Guide

Comment

Since you already posted this:

inverter is the easiest and cheapest. I use it and have a UPS for when i crank so the PC doesn't die. Works well.
            Welcome, cdm.
            You last visited: 09-13-2006 at 02:42 AM
            Private Messages: Unread 0, Total 3.

Wow.. how things have changed in 4 years. Gone are the days of mcgyver and datalux

Comment

best advice i can give anyone - jsut read anything and everything. it is hard to find specific information immediately but in looking you will learn so much more - things you have not even thought about!

have fun learning and building!

Comment

Originally posted by joshthepilot
                To the original question.

The best way to power a car pc is......Waterfall waterwheel.
                I'll have you know my power hamsters resent that remark.
                StreetDeck.com Developer (I am Chuck)
                Get StreetDeck at http://www.streetdeck.com
                The Official StreetDeck Forums have moved, please visit us at http://www.streetdeck.com/forum for official support for Streetdeck.

Comment

Originally posted by god_of_cpu
                  I'll have you know my power hamsters resent that remark.

what about a mini power station powered by farts!

Comment

Originally posted by Scouse Monkey

what about a mini power station powered by farts!
                    That may be difficult with your monkey in everyone's tailpipe.....
                    Installed & Working....
                    Custom enclosures
                    Newbie Guide

Comment

inverters will undoubtedly cause hum/buzz that will be unbearable. thats what im dealing with now. ill try to pickup one of those radio shack ground loop thingys this weekend, see how it goes.

Comment

Hi guys, back on topic please!.!

Can a Computer run on 12V? On the side of the pc it says this:

As you can see, it says 12V and 18A.

When we got it, it came with what i assume is a power regulator. Pic Below. (TO PLUG=INPUT: TO PC=OUTPUT)

On this, it says.

Input: 100-240V-50-60Hz, 3.0A
                        Output: 12V --18A
                        Max Output Power=220W

So with this info, i'm assumming the pc can run on 12V(18A) and requires a inverter of 300W(including monitor).

Anyone confirm?

Comment

This was going so well for a moment.....

Amazingly enough..... A lot of things run on 12V.
                          Edit for clairty?:
                          Cigarette Lighter or other power in your car (DC12V)
                          The inverter(converts DC to AC) plugs into the cigarette lighter.
                          The little brick(Converts AC to DC) plugs into the Inverter.
                          The computer(DC12V) plugs into the Brick.
                          You have (DC12v)power now....regulated

Or since computers generally run about 12 V you could run straight to the power right? Wrong. The power coming from the car is unregulated. The DC-DC power supply regulates the power from your car and cleans it up for your computer..... I believe this is the case. Also the DC-DC power usually has shutdown controller features that allow you to run the computer without rebooting everytime. Inverters don't allow for that unless you have PSU or Shutdown controller of somekind.

Thanks for the pics though.

It is still up to you to do what you want. All of this is covered in previous posts.... you should read a few for awhile.... and let us come up with interesting ideas for pwering our computers.... I chose a windmill, but I have to drive real fast to watch movies.
                          Installed & Working....
                          Custom enclosures
                          Newbie Guide

Comment

Originally posted by davidjones90
                            Thinking of making a project for a LCD screen(7") with a Dell Optiplex(p4 2.8, 1gb, 40gb).

Whats the best way to power this up, what would I need?
                            I recommend electricity.

Sorry, couldn't resist. And I have to agree, you had the best response to a flame I've seen in quite awhile.

Yes, the computer will run on 12 volts. You are correct that it's output can be 18 amps. 12v X 18a = 216 watts. A 300 watt inverter will do it for you.

Just a comment on the earlier post about the inverter being cheaper -it's a pretty close call when you buy both an inverter and a UPS. Many of the DC-DC power supplies will accomplish both tasks, powering the PC and surviving startup of the car for a roughly equivalent price. However, you are running a pretty power hungry system and will need higher power, thus an inverter probably makes sense for you.
                            Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                            I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                            Want to:
                            -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                            -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

ahhh so this is your PC: http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...l=en&s=gen&cs=

(going form the product number on the sticker)

This is a whole new kettle of fish to the normal PC!

I would say you need a 12V dc-dc but i doubt you will get one that does 18A - seriously doubt it!

I am pretty stumped and an inverter is the only solution i can think of for that PC.

You should have put those specs in the original question as this is not the normal problem. Have a look and see if anyone has used one of these before. The only ones liek this i have seen are 18V PCs

I have a feeling there maybe something you can use but i am not sure

Comment

Working...
                              X