Help with Power Supply

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Power Supply

i bought a 300w inverter from a local car shop... i also put together a realy simple computer, at home, that i am goign to transfer into the car realy soon. I am willing to buy the lilliput 7" TS and hook it up... now my question is, i am reading alot about shutdown controllers... do i HAVE to get one? or can i just use hibernate on the car computer, to basically make the computer hibernate while the car is turned off?

or do i have to actually shutdown the computer before i can turn the car off?
    wat exactly is the deal with the power supply?

well, if you did that, the power inverter would still be drawing power from the battery. Maybe not too bad for a couple hours but i would be wary of it over night. Might drain the battery too much. In order to be in hibernate, you need the power.

What I am doing is putting a relay between the battery and inverter that will tie in with the ignition. And then i am going to run a momentary button from the mother board and mount it on my dash. That way, the inverter will power up when the car is turned on and i dont need the computer to power up unless i want it to. Like if i just run to the store i dont need the computer to boot up but for longer trips, i could.

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Red Ranger
      well, if you did that, the power inverter would still be drawing power from the battery. Maybe not too bad for a couple hours but i would be wary of it over night. Might drain the battery too much. In order to be in hibernate, you need the power.

What I am doing is putting a relay between the battery and inverter that will tie in with the ignition. And then i am going to run a momentary button from the mother board and mount it on my dash. That way, the inverter will power up when the car is turned on and i dont need the computer to power up unless i want it to. Like if i just run to the store i dont need the computer to boot up but for longer trips, i could.

Brian
      Same as me. However, I also added a small delay, since I don't want my PC to instant shutdown then removing the key from the contact (which happens if you use the ignition line). Mine is now delayed at 3mins before the relay looses its power. VERY usefull, e.g. when refueelling my car and so on, and now I also haven't to stay in car in order to wait tilll windows has been shut down
      My Opel Astra 1993 CarPC: http://www.djsmiley.com/projects/carpc/photos/

Comment

You don't "have" to have a shutdown controller. As long as you don't mind manually starting and shutting down the pc yourself, you don't need one.

I experimented for several weeks with just chopping the power when I would finish driving. The system never got scrambled (XP Pro) but I figure it was just a matter of time. I eventually went to a startup/shutdown controller.

It just depends on what your needs are. A lot of people like the auto start/stop feature because it makes the system appear OEM. Others don't care.
        Originally posted by ghettocruzer
        I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
        Want to:
        -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
        -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Originally posted by Red Ranger
          In order to be in hibernate, you need the power.
          Brian
          Wrong. In order to be in hiberate, you need 0 power. In order to be in standby, you need the power.

KyferEz
          TheCarPCStore.com - Power Controllers (SDC), Inverters, Tank Circuit, GPS, OBDII, CarPCs, and more!
          PSU Wattage Calculator
          Electronics Calculators
          Copper Wire Data

Comment

Hibernation does use power:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...02march25.mspx

Hibernate mode writes an image of what you're currently working on to a special file on your hard drive, and then shuts your computer almost completely off. It takes a bit longer than Standby, since it needs to write to your hard drive. Hibernate also takes a bit longer to resume, since you must go through essentially the normal boot process, although in Windows XP your computer wakes faster from Hibernate than in previous versions of Windows. The advantage is that you can leave your laptop in Hibernate mode for days without any ill effect. When you start it back up, you'll see everything exactly as you left it. Hibernate is the perfect mode for shutting down for the night or even the weekend.

Comment

You do not need power to remain to the PC in hibernation. Power can be completely removed from the PC and it will resume from hibernation just fine. Otherwise, using an inverter and shutting down to hibernation would not work.

KyferEz
              TheCarPCStore.com - Power Controllers (SDC), Inverters, Tank Circuit, GPS, OBDII, CarPCs, and more!
              PSU Wattage Calculator
              Electronics Calculators
              Copper Wire Data

Comment

I agree... I've completely unplugged PC's for days after they went into hibernation to have it start up from hibernation perfectly fine.

Comment

My experiance matches:
                  KyferEz
                  joshthepilot
                  wizawuza

My install goes to hibernation then the power is switched off. The system is set to resume with power on. I flip the switch and it plays music.
                  TruckinMP3
                  D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

Originally posted by joshthepilot
                    That author is a tool. Anyone want to NOT believe everything they read on the internet?

A side note: Josh, what tool is the author? and nice custom title
                    TruckinMP3
                    D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

Originally posted by joshthepilot
                      That author is a tool. Anyone want to NOT believe everything they read on the internet?
                      I hope your referring to the one who says you need power to be in hibernate. Try it sometime, put your computer in hibernate (not standby) and unplug it for a day. When you plug it back in it boots up straight out of hibernation.
                      In reference to what Microsoft is referring to about turning the computer almost all the way off: They are talking about just skipping most of the unloading processes and powering off the computer. Thus the computer is almost off. Hibernation is just storing the ram (volatile) to the hard drive (non-volatile). Volatile needs power to retain information. Non-volatile doesn't need power to retain information. Thus hibernation doesn't need power because it stores the information on a non-volatile medium.

As to stand by. This process causes the system to sort of freeze. It powers off everything except the ram thus maintaining the original state of the computer upon powering back on. This mode needs power as ram is volatile and doesn't retain information upon power loss. This is also why stand by is so fast. The computer doesn't have to transfer any information.

So then why is standby useful??

Easy, its purpose is to save power when the computer is not in use. This is not particularly useful for car computers as this can drain the batteries over a long period of time.

I see the new posts after I do the wirte up!!! lol
                      510mb PC3200 DDR
                      ATI Radeon 7000 64mb
                      [||||||||||] 95% Complete

RentATechnow.com

Comment

There are several different ACPI suspend states. Read here: http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/...4&m=5560975395
                        System status: in progress

Comment

Working...
                        X