I'm so confused about power options

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm so confused about power options

Too many options, please help. I read the faqs and through that last five pages of threads and I'm still lost. I gather an ideal system consists of a Regulator, startup shutdown controller, and power supply correct? Since there are so many options out there can someone post which works with which or lead me to an already existing thread?

I am going to be using a epia m10000 board

So far I bought a pw200m that I am now thinking was a mistake. To complete this power option I was going to go with a carnetix 1260 that is both a regulator and startup/shutdown controller. Now I'm confused because the pw200 supposedly will supply too much power to the cd drive and hardrive.

Now I am thinking that I should have went with the opus 90 watt power supply which has a startup/shutdown controller. Since the carnetix has a startup shutdown controller too, what regulator do you go with that doesn't have one?

I've also seen standalone startup/shutdown contollers. Which power supply's and regulators do those work with.

Thanks,

Dan

Actually it sounds like you have a better grasp on the options than many newbies

Wherever you heard that the pw200 will supply "too much power" is total bunk. A power supply makes power available - if the device doesn't use it, that's fine.

The opus has a built in regulator - you do not need a seperate regulator.

The direction you were originally going would work. The opus would also be a fine choice, probably a bit easier as its a one-step solution (and therefore the advice usually given to newbies: "Get an Opus!" ).

Comment

Originally posted by mushin
      Actually it sounds like you have a better grasp on the options than many newbies

Wherever you heard that the pw200 will supply "too much power" is total bunk. A power supply makes power available - if the device doesn't use it, that's fine.

The opus has a built in regulator - you do not need a seperate regulator.

The direction you were originally going would work. The opus would also be a fine choice, probably a bit easier as its a one-step solution (and therefore the advice usually given to newbies: "Get an Opus!" ).
      wow, opus it is then thanks for the help.

PW200M for sale.

Comment

sorry to jump in on you post, but I'm trying to figure out if a 90 watt power supply will be enough to handle what I want, I asked in the newbie forum and they told me to use a power calculator or whatever but I have no idea how much each thing uses and no one seems to want to answer me there. Here are the specs I'm planning:

VIA EPIA M10000 Mini-ITX Mainboard
        512MB DDR RAM
        Panasonic Slot Load DVD-ROM/CD-RW Combo Drive
        2.5" 80GB HD
        SB Audigy 2 ZS Sound Card
        Lilliput 8" VGA Touch Screen
        M1-ATX 90 Watt - Smart Automotive Power Supply
        OBD-II
        Win XP Pro
        4 port USB hub
        Some kind of navigation (any suggestions?)
        my setup - finally
        http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50494

Comment

what about using this http://www.mp3car.com/store/product_...products_id=40
          my setup - finally

Comment

Originally posted by trance728
            err.. correct me if i am wrong... but that's what he is now selling
            I have found you an argument; I am not obliged to find you an understanding.

Comment

hmm didn't even realize that, guess ill have to pm him
              my setup - finally

Comment

Originally posted by jtp
                How bout celestial navigation....http://www.celestialnavigation.net/
                The problem with this is interfacing the sextent to the computer. That and it limited to night time hours.

Comment

Originally posted by cfcrafting
                  So far I bought a pw200m that I am now thinking was a mistake. To complete this power option I was going to go with a carnetix 1260 that is both a regulator and startup/shutdown controller.
                  This will work splendidly. I power mine with a dc-dc psu like yours and a Carnetix 1260. No problems. Just buy the Carnetix and you'll be done.
                  Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                  I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                  Want to:
                  -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                  -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

placed it on ebay if anyone is interested.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=6760323113

Comment

sold!

Comment

so would using the PW200m and the Carnetix 1260 be better than using the Opus 150, it seems a better deal to spend $145 for 200 watts vs. $180 for 150 watts (they both will be able to deal with cranking issues and have the startup/shutdown control, right?)
                        my setup - finally

Comment

The Carnetix is a 60 watt regulator. Even though the PW200 says it's 200, it's not able to supply that continuously and even if it could, the Carnetix wouldn't supply it.

The wattage issue is a non-issue (for the most part) if you're using a low power system like the Epia. Mini-ATX boards and P4's need more power and you often need to switch to an inverter if you'll have to supply more than 150 watts.
                          Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                          I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                          Want to:
                          -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                          -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

ok, so can i get away with using a 90 watt power supply for my above mentioned setup (fourth post from the top), or do i need to spend the $180 to get the 150 watt supply?
                            my setup - finally

Comment

Guys,

The PW200 is a is a 60 Watt regulator (see THIS article). It provides 60 watts of REGULATED power and provides an UNREGULATED +12V output. This unregulated output is basically a wire directly from your battery/alternator to your motherboard. This WIRE is rated at 12Amps (ie it won't melt @ 12A), and hence the +12V/12A rating.

The P1260/P1280 can be used as a pre-regulator for the PW200 so that the PW200's +12V output becomes well regulated and won't fry your mobo. However, the total output of this combination is limited by the P1260/1280 to around 60 watts.

A much better combination would be a Casetronic C4-CT-DC150L ($45) with a CarNetix P1900 in front of it. With this combination you can get about 120W (135W if you include the secondary output of the P1900 @5V/3A).

Sorry to be so blunt, but many people are confused by the PW200 specs.
                              MikeH

Comment

Working...
                              X