Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stick a wire in an electrical outlet?

Ok, now let me be more specific.

I'm setting up a test lab in the basement. You know, the typical dingy basement with concrete walls, some plugs (with ground) and lots of pipes.

I'm using a converter that plugs into an A/C outlet, then has two posts for +/-.

Where should I wire the negative ground? I was thinking of either wrapping it around a pipe, or plugging an exposed wire into the ground slot of an outlet.

Will either/both of these work or should I do something else?

Please help before I electrocute myself

Gah! I now have Don King hair and a black tongue.

Any other suggestions?

Comment

In 8th grade this one kid, Dennis, who was 17 (that comes into play later) at the time did something like what you sorta said.

We had a nice lab for middle school, with real black masonite or whatever lab tables, gas spouts, sinks and raised outlets. So we had these hotplates on and a friend and I pulled the plug a tiny but out of the socket so that it was still plugged in but not pushed in. And then Dennis, on a dare that no one thought anyone would do, dropped a paperclip into the gap created by pulling the plug out a little and...you remember he is 17 (we are 13) he was held back a couple of times you can guess and see how....

so the teacher ran from the front of the room to the bright flash and wisp of smoke and a crying Dennis who had burned his hand. and everyone was laughing their asses off, including me who had to retell the story to the principal cuz dennis was at the nurse.

TO THIS DAY (11 yrs later) there is still a piece of paperclip WELDED to the metal plate of the outlet.
      (All done)
      iPad Mini 128GB, RF 600.5 amp, JL12W0V2, 8 Infinity Components

Comment

Originally posted by jtp
        Before you do anything, you need to prepare the wall socket.

Step 1: Wet it down with your tongue.
        yea then straighten out a paper clip n stick it in the top terminal.. you need to test the cranking amps as well.
        mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
        Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
        Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

Originally posted by sdashiki
          In 8th grade this one kid, Dennis, who was 17 (that comes into play later) at the time did something like what you sorta said.

We had a nice lab for middle school, with real black masonite or whatever lab tables, gas spouts, sinks and raised outlets. So we had these hotplates on and a friend and I pulled the plug a tiny but out of the socket so that it was still plugged in but not pushed in. And then Dennis, on a dare that no one thought anyone would do, dropped a paperclip into the gap created by pulling the plug out a little and...you remember he is 17 (we are 13) he was held back a couple of times you can guess and see how....

so the teacher ran from the front of the room to the bright flash and wisp of smoke and a crying Dennis who had burned his hand. and everyone was laughing their asses off, including me who had to retell the story to the principal cuz dennis was at the nurse.

TO THIS DAY (11 yrs later) there is still a piece of paperclip WELDED to the metal plate of the outlet.
          Something similar here. In 8th grade, we had a substitute for Science one day. This kid Derek, John and myself are near the back at a table. We had outlets at every table on the wall. John's unraveling the spiral from his notebook and pulling it into a straight line. He get's the bright idea to jam it into the outlet. Giant flash and the notebook bursts into flames. The teacher runs out panicked, John steps out the burning notebook which is now on the floor.

The teacher comes back with the headmaster. We've sinced moved seats so it's just an empty table next to a scorched wall. Thankfully, the sub couldn't remember who was sitting there

The blacked outlet was there for years.
          GE Cache Builder | [email protected] |Coolstuff :autospeed.com | bit-tech.net | Nitemax Ultra Pinouts

Comment

Ah.

Youthful exuberance. I love it.

BURN BABY BURN! i got plenty of pyro stories from living in backwoods Massachusetts with access to lots of gas from lawnmowers, gun powder from hunters and wood from the forests...
            (All done)
            iPad Mini 128GB, RF 600.5 amp, JL12W0V2, 8 Infinity Components

Comment

Funny! And I'm guessing there's a moral to the story here, don't use the socket!

Hey, without any electrical knowledge it sounds like it would work. I wasn't talking about plugging anything into the positive sockets on the outlet. just the bottom (3rd) socket for ground.

Well, I'm scrapping this idea since it doesn't sound like it will work. So I guess I'll just wrap the ground around a pipe and see if that works.

JTP, this link goes to the exact power supply I'm using:

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...ct%5Fid=22-508

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by ChilliPepper
                Ok, now let me be more specific.

I'm setting up a test lab in the basement. You know, the typical dingy basement with concrete walls, some plugs (with ground) and lots of pipes.

I'm using a converter that plugs into an A/C outlet, then has two posts for +/-.

Where should I wire the negative ground? I was thinking of either wrapping it around a pipe, or plugging an exposed wire into the ground slot of an outlet.

Will either/both of these work or should I do something else?

Please help before I electrocute myself
                You're going to have to give us more details. I really have no idea what you're talking about, but it doesn't sound right to me. Don't try doing anything yet!! You may not live to tell us about it.

edit: Ok know we're getting somewhere.
                What are you trying to accomplish? Looks pretty straight forward to me. Just plug the adapter/converter into a wall socket, then the black output is negative, red positive.

Comment

remember robotics? plastic lego like toy with motors and a 'command center'? well i always took apart the plastic motor case and i had been wiring it up to AA batteries then one day i came across a 12v battery and wired it up. the thing buzzed as it got all that juice plugged into it. So i remembered my father talking about the wall sockets being 120 volts! so i just had to. I wired the motor and stuck the wires into an a/c outlet in my room. the motor screamed for about 2 seconds.... then blew up, scorching the rug.
                  New System in progress:
                  M10k
                  Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
                  Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
                  Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
                  Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
                  Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
                  My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

lol I haven't done anything yet. I want a carputer, I don't want to die

I just had an epiphany (sp?). Isn't this thing grounded by virtue of being plugged into a wall socket (the power supply unit)? So do I even need to run the ground wire FROM the power supply unit to another ground in the basement or should I just run wires from the power unit to all carputer parts that need a ground connection?

I think I said ground too many times in that paragraph. I didn't confuse myself, but hey it was rambling I know.

So am I good?

* and yes, I'm a complete newb on the electrical and fab sides so this is going to be an 'interesting' project *

Comment

JTP, thanks! I guess I'm good, then. I was just thinking along the same lines (though not technically).

And yes, everything is 3-prong so I think I'm covered.

Thanks for the help and everyone else for funny posts.

Comment

Now you're getting on track! Does the plug have 2 prongs or three?
                        Doesn't really matter if I understand you correctly. You don't need to ground anything. Just plug it into the wall, and keep your + and - straight.

Comment

Oh well, too slow.

Comment

Originally posted by sdashiki
                            Ah.

Youthful exuberance. I love it.

BURN BABY BURN! i got plenty of pyro stories from living in backwoods Massachusetts with access to lots of gas from lawnmowers, gun powder from hunters and wood from the forests...
                            People were doing that in Boston too
                            GE Cache Builder | [email protected] |Coolstuff :autospeed.com | bit-tech.net | Nitemax Ultra Pinouts

Comment

Most of our posts are overlapping. Thanks for the help Achiever.

Now I'm off to wire some $hit up!

Comment

Working...
                              X