Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Batt to +/-38V

Hi guys,
    Is it possible to make a PSU for car batts to make -38V and +38V without using any transformer? It's for powering-up a custom power amp. Plus, my plan is to switch the PSU with the AP from the headunit.

Most car batteries and alternators put out 12 volts. A very few put out 24 volts. To get 38 (in DC?), you'd need a switching power supply.
    Originally posted by ghettocruzer
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

you could but it depends on the ammount of current required. since it is for an amp, I would say that it would be easier and simpler to use a transformer.
      Never let the truth get in the way of a good story

Comment

Yay, sorry guys, my mistake, the ouput should be +/-35 (max) instead of -/+38.
        Current consumption is 50-100mA, I honestly don't know whether this is low or high.
        So, I certainly don't know whether a transformer is required or not.

Comment

Originally posted by meddler
          I would say that it would be easier and simpler to use a transformer.
          Transformer for DC?
          You are better off redesigning the amp for +13.8V usage.

Comment

Cars of the future will be 36V and/or 44V systems. Making car audio and multimedia applications much easier. Amps are so large and bulky today to change 12v to a useable voltage and wattage. If the input was 36v (im not an electrical engineer so dont shoot me on the math) into the same amp you have today, it would put out more watts and run cooler too.

I think googling the 36v car application will turn up some articles.
            (All done)
            iPad Mini 128GB, RF 600.5 amp, JL12W0V2, 8 Infinity Components

Comment

junkz.

are you sure its only about 50-100mA
              thats only 7 watt's...! (70V*100mA)
              AND, say you speaker is a 8 ohm,
              70V / 8 ohm =612,5 Watt
              if you only needs 7 watt. the cars 12 volt's would be more than enough.

maybe you could be more specifik, how many watt's do you want..?

or is it me that dont understand the question
              Sorry for the english

CarPC Specs.

Via Epia MII 12000 \\ 512 Mb Ram \\ 200 GB Western Digital \\ PCmcia asus wi-fi
              Xenarc 7" Touchscreen \\ Usb Bluetooth \\ Carnetix P-1280

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall78
                Transformer for DC?
                You are better off redesigning the amp for +13.8V usage.
                I can't.
                I found the amp design on the net and don't have enough knowledge in electronics to redesign it.

Comment

Look

You aren't going to be able to "copy and paste" components down onto a circuit and have it work. This isn't the forum or place for that anyway. Try diyaudio.com and other newsgroups for this.

I hate to rain on your parade but if you don't have even a basic understanding of electronics enough to see that the only way you are going to get +-38V from a car battery is to switch it into a transformer, then you need to stop with the idea you are going to build an amp.

Comment

Originally posted by junkz
                    I can't.
                    I found the amp design on the net and don't have enough knowledge in electronics to redesign it.
                    How about a URL so we can at least see what you're trying to do.

Comment

Originally posted by MrPerfectionest
                      junkz.

Look

You aren't going to be able to "copy and paste" components down onto a circuit and have it work. This isn't the forum or place for that anyway. Try diyaudio.com and other newsgroups for this.

I hate to rain on your parade but if you don't have even a basic understanding of electronics enough to see that the only way you are going to get +-38V from a car battery is to switch it into a transformer, then you need to stop with the idea you are going to build an amp.
                      I see what's your point.
                      My question was just about the possibility (of the PSU) and I never said that I'm gonna build the amp myself.
                      But thanks for the considerations anyway.

Adam432823,
                      It's http://www.anidian.com/audio/construct/p3a_1.shtml.

Comment

Working...
                      X