M1-ATX 90W enough for VIA Epia?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M1-ATX 90W enough for VIA Epia?

Probably a newbie question, but i have searched through the forum and couldnt get a satisfied answer.

Im planning to buy a Via Epia M10000 so i need to get it powered. Is the M1-ATX 90W enough or do i need more stuff between the M1-ATX and the VIA (or between the Battery and the M1-ATX?) I see all kinds of combinations but i dont understand really why. The M1-ATX seems to have limited shutdown control too.

And how do i have to set this up? Just get a wire to the battery (dont know how to get there from the 'cabin' to the hood, but ill figure it out), pop it on the + and - en pop it in the M1-ATX and connect the ATX cable on the mobo?

I will have a standard setup with lots, lots of usb devices connected (6-8 usb devices) so i need a usb hub powered too.

Many thanks if i can get some satisfying answers

Yeah its a noob question , for Power Calculator or something to show you how much juice you need. The if 90W is ok for you, then use the M1-ATX and follow the instructions in the manual! It all depends on your final configuration really!

Many thanks if i can get some satisfying answers
    What if not?
    Time displayed in a different way!

http://www.lares.dti.ne.jp/%7Eyugo/s.../03/index.html
    http://www.humanclock.com/

FREE 3D Glasses: http://www.rainbowsymphony.com/freestuff.html

Comment

I've had no problems with the m1-atx running 2 3.5 drives, a firewire drive, 3 USB devices and a partidge in a pear tree all running on a micro ATX style board so it sucks more power than a m10000 might..

basicly you wire it like an amp .. 12v+ 12v- and ignition wire (sometimes called the blue wire, or memory wire)
      Shawn

Check out my web company Minneapolis Web Designer | MODx Web Design - Himmelberger Design

Comment

So i fact, i need 2 wires from the battery, 1 directly from the battery, and one from the ignition?

The watt calc. is not really the question, but, am i missing a part, like I regulator, ITPS(?), etc. etc.

But i assume i can do only with the M1-ATX. Thats very satisfying, because in that case i dont see the need for an expensive Opus.

Comment

Originally posted by Goddy
          So i fact, i need 2 wires from the battery, 1 directly from the battery, and one from the ignition?
          Yes, it has three wires. Battery, ignition, and ground.

The watt calc. is not really the question, but, am i missing a part, like I regulator, ITPS(?), etc. etc.
          No you don't need anything else. The M1-ATX does it's own regulation.

But i assume i can do only with the M1-ATX. Thats very satisfying, because in that case i dont see the need for an expensive Opus.
          Correct.

Comment

Or with ignition wire, you mean the wire for an aerial antenna which acts like a pulse when the ignition is switched on / off? That means i can just tap that wire of my headunit and connects it to the m1-ATX psu.

Comment

the m1 also has 8 options for shutdown and on all of them there is batter run down protection .. no dead batteries

yup.. I use the head Unit wire, but I have no head unit anymore :-)
              Shawn

Check out my web company Minneapolis Web Designer | MODx Web Design - Himmelberger Design

Comment

Originally posted by neon_eddy
                I've had no problems with the m1-atx running 2 3.5 drives, a firewire drive, 3 USB devices and a partidge in a pear tree all running on a micro ATX style board so it sucks more power than a m10000 might..

basicly you wire it like an amp .. 12v+ 12v- and ignition wire (sometimes called the blue wire, or memory wire)
                wow! that it impressive!

I was worried about using a couple of 3.5" drives. Oh **** and firewire drive!

Good to know it can take so much.

it is also so cheap you can run one and if you need more power just buy a second for exernal stuff (drives etc). That gived 180W for less than an Opus 150. (and cheaper to relace if one blows as opposed to 1 opus)

Comment

well I must let you know that the firewire drive is powered externally .. a great way to ahve remote removable storage, but I'm sure powering the communicationa nd firewire card uses power..

I found I can run 2 3.5 drives at 7200rpm .. but get a 5000rpm one if you can for data and then a nice fast 7200 for booting.. .. I use one 5000rpm one now.. less wattage

the external enclosure I use for my firewire cd/dvd drive is one that takes my unfiltered 12v too .. I'm not sure what is better, usb2 or firewire.. but I like firewire mainly because it's been around longer and is "proven" in the video industry and most anything Apple supports is high quality ..
                  Shawn

Comment

Working...
                  X