Need Help: Random Shut Down and Restart

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help: Random Shut Down and Restart

I'm not sure why this keeps happening to me, but although my carputer runs pretty well on a regular basis, it also has this nasty habit of shutting down and restarting all by itself for no apparent reason? Especially when I'm using multiple functions at a time... such as browsing online (using touchscreen) while playing music and if the loading page is taking too long.. BOOM... it'll make the song stutter and shut down on me... then restart automatically? Anyone experience this?
    I'm using a Biostar/AMD Mobile Athlon/Opus 150W... set-up with a 40G Samsung HDD...
    Could it be power related? Maybe USB/touchscreen related? HDD, CPU ??
    Any input would be greatly appreciated... Thanks guys!
    VER. 3.0- Check out below:
    車コンピュータ 3.0

ALSO... one more thing that bugs me out is the fact that the Opus isn't always successful with its "10-second" shut-down process... Some times it takes longer before it shuts off the computer and Xenarc monitor...
    車コンピュータ 3.0

Comment

Sounds like you have the same problem as me. My pc was doing the same thing. It would randomly shutdown and would then cycle on and off every 40sec or so.
      I think I have pinpointed the cause as drawing too much current on the 12V rail. The PSU would overload and then shut off. Once I underclocked my processor, things have seem to be fine.
      Hope that helps
      Never let the truth get in the way of a good story

Comment

Mmmhhh... well... I'm pretty much underclocking already. The AMD 2400 is running at 1.83GHz right now. Should I bring it back down some more???
        車コンピュータ 3.0

Comment

I agree with meddler, if you have a multimeter or an app that shows/logs the current draw it'd worth checking or just underclock as much as you can, see if it fixes the problem then gradually work upward
          Ford Focus MP3 : www.stevieg.org/carpc Blog Updated 29 January 2009!
          Car PC Status: Complete - Undergoing Software Redevelopment

Comment

AMD 2400 Athlon doesn't mean the processor runs at 2.4ghz.. It means its equal to a Intel processor running at 2.4ghz, but at amd's slower clock rate of 1.83ghz.

You and I are running the same setup... What gauge wires are u using for the power and ground?

Comment

Yea, the BIOS setup on the Biostar allows me access to a Multiplier... currently I'm at 166 X 11 and it gives me exactly 1833 MHz on the clock... and everything else is running fine... I average about 30* in temperature... which is pretty good...
              車コンピュータ 3.0

Comment

some 18 gauge for the ground... and about 16 for the power...
                車コンピュータ 3.0

Comment

Originally posted by Fraychild
                  some 18 gauge for the ground... and about 16 for the power...
                  Holy smoke!!! I'll bring the extinguisher...

Get thicker wires and you should be straight. I say go at LEAST 14 ground and 12 power.

www.partsexpress.com

Comment

Thanks Erik...
                    車コンピュータ 3.0

Comment

It MIGHT NOT be a power issue afterall... Although I do plan on re-wiring everything and run thicker wires for the Battery, Acc and Ground to the Opus...
                      I took out the PC from my car last night and took inside my house and plugged in the 200W PSU from my Home Computer on there, I figured if the problem is power-related, it should run properly (no random shut-down or music stutter). WRONG! It still did the same thing when too much was going on at the same time... While running "RR" I was in my user "Control Panel" ... BOOM, it shut-off and restarted on its own...
                      Really... what else could it possibly be? When I check the temp in the CPU it always runs cool... Any suggestions????
                      車コンピュータ 3.0

Comment

Sounds like an issue with RAM. Are you using a NForce2 board? Using onboard video? I had to go through 4 different brand and chipset RAM until I found a few compatible with my boards. I have 3 NForce2 boards using onboard video, and I got random reboots until I found compatible RAM.

I have 2 sticks of 256M Buffalo RAM (3200 running at 2700 speeds) in one
                        I have 1 stick of 512M AData RAM (2700 running at 2700 speeds) in one
                        I have 1 stick of 256M Buffalo RAM (3200 running at 2700 speeds) in one

Using onboard Video on all of them. One is a Shuttle XPC, one is a Chaintech Micro ATX, and the other is...I don't remember, but it isn't a Biostar.

http://nvidia.com/content/nForceMemo...patibility.asp

Comment

You may have the right answer... My Biostar M7NCG400 uses the NForce2 Chipset with On board Video... some NVidia GeForce4 MX...
                          I'm currently using a single Corsair Value RAM stick with 512MB I got from NewEgg... It's a DDR 333 (PC 2700)
                          Maybe I should try switching to something else and see what happens... ?
                          車コンピュータ 3.0

Comment

run this:
                            http://www.memtest86.com/

For several weeks I tried to pinpoint a similar problem, and I thought it was heat. Note that memtest86 will run until you stop it, continually checking the RAM
                            Debt as of 1/1/05: $34,354.48
                            Debt as of July 4, 2007: $0.00 explanation
                            I'M DEBT FREE!!
                            I'm now a reasonably successful gunblogger.

Comment

It drove me nuts until I did some hardware swapping, then looked for a compatability chart. I did so much looking into data sheets to find out what chips the RAM had and returned so much to NewEgg I just started keeping it all and ordered extra once it worked. In the end it was worth the 30 bucks for a stick and have it work all the time no questions asks. Sure sounds like RAM to me, I can be 100% sure, but it is exactly what I went through with RAM. Be sure to look in the IGP column, not the SPP column if you use that chart.

Comment

Working...
                              X