Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Difference between ACC and Ignition wire?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference between ACC and Ignition wire?

somehow, i was wondering what's the difference between acc and ignition wire. I have being using acc wire in my setup. The acc get power when my key turn to ACC and cut the power when I crank the engine. what about Igntion wire???
    2006 Camry
    Compaq Laptop
    Holux GPS Iguidance 3.0
    7" Xenarc Touch Screen
    Carnetix 1900 Power Supplied, Wireless b/g

I think ignition is live when key is in the "on" and "start" positions wheras ACC is live with the key in "acc" and "on" positions.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobby Digital
      I think ignition is live when key is in the "on" and "start" positions wheras ACC is live with the key in "acc" and "on" positions.
      Well, most people seem to call acc and ignition the same. They mean a circuit, or a connection to the circuit, that has power while the car is running. Usualy, if the circuit has power while the car is running, it will also have power when the car is off, but the key is in the acc positions.

Sometimes, however, ignition does mean ignition, such as in a remote car start setup.

Hope that helps

Michael
      ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

for our uses they are the same...

the ignition or ACC line is off during cranking...
        Roy

2005 Range Rover 4.4
        Any ideas for putting a PC in this? :)

Comment

Originally posted by RoyN
          for our uses they are the same...

the ignition or ACC line is off during cranking...
          It is NOT really the same.
          for MOST cars (not all)
          ACC only turn on a the radio and aux/cig circuit. These circuits cut off during cranking. Only hot when the key is in ACC <=> IGN(ON)
          IGN turn on EVERYTHING in the car (ECU, CC, Power windows circuit, fuel pump, HVAC blower, .... you name it.) And none of these circuit is cut off during cranking. Only hot when the key is in IGN(ON) <=> START/CRANK

So when hook up the car to our purpose do you want everything in the car to be ON when the engine is off just to listen to music or watching movie? The battery is sure to drain very fast.
          2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
          89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
          Y2K Accord Dell GX150
          RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
          EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

Actually the power windows and HVAC circuit are on one of the ACC lines. A lot of todays cars have more than one ACC line to accomodate the additional "accessories". The other thing is most cars have a latched output on the ACC lines where the radio, HVAC, power windows, etc. will stay powered until you open your door.
            7" Lilli TS, Soyo K7VME, Semperon 2200, 160GB Maxtor, 512mb PC3200, Deluo GPS, Panasonic Slim DVD/CD RW, Linksys WMP545G , Opus 150w, XMDirect, XP Pro, FP, IG [XXXXXXXXX-] 90%
            ATVMS.com

Comment

Every mfg does things differently.

My car the ACC only turns on the radio. The "RUN" setting (second click) turns on everything else.

My wifes car the ACC powers radio and windows.

Having a factory electrical manual is almost required any more.

Comment

ACC= Accesories: Radio, wipers, power windows,etc. OFF during cranking (some radios stay on, though)
                IGNITION(s)=Anything that the vehicle needs to crank/run:electrical pumps, ignition circuits, etc.

Comment

As you can see, while there are specific differences between ACC and ignition, most people think of them interchangeably.
                  Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                  I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                  Want to:
                  -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                  -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Working...
                  X