No announcement yet.

Something I've done, smells...

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something I've done, smells...

So I just started my first Carputer installation in my Dodge 2004 Sprinter Cargo Van.

I ran a 10AWG wire from the battery (where I put a 15A fuse) to the my mini-itx case with the built in Opus 90W. I ran a 10AWG wire from the Opus to the car chassis. And I spliced in a 16AWG wire with my ignition wire (did this at the ignition block) to the Opus for the IGN +12V control signal.

Right now, I'm running my Xenrac 7" TSV off the cigarette lighter power. Voltage seems to be pretty constant.

Here's the problem:

I'm getting a non-specific burning smell. When I investigate, none of the wires seem hot (or even warm) to the touch. My Engine Control Unit light also seems to have made an apperance. When I unplug the CPU and monitor, the smell goes away. I haven't been able to try just one or the other yet.

Any thoughts?

Thanks! Everything I've applied to work on this project I got from you guys. Photos forthcoming once everything's actually mounted...

try and power the xenarc off the opus if you have enough power left to handle it. its generally a better idea to run the xenarc or lilliputs off of regulated voltage.
    Your everyday carpc geek and tech guru at your service. *bow*

i cut the feed on my lilliputs car adapter, thinking i would splice 2 x 12 volt feeds, only i spliced it after the little regulator box, and thus made the box of tricks in line melt down

that smelt bad