Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone know how to create dual battery setup?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone know how to create dual battery setup?

Just like to know does anyone know how to create a dual battery setup and if you have any info could you please post would be very helpfull.

Thanks

Yep!

Had one in my old car,

Put the battery in the boot (if thats where its gonna go), Earth the negative of the battery well to the car chasis. You can then run a 4 gauge wire from the positive to the back battery.

But you will need to put a split charger relay on the link as if kept connected whilst the car is not running the two batterys will discharge each other. The cheapest one I found was at maplins.

For something like 15. you will need to connect the relay to the ignition, which activate the relay once car is running and charge the back battery. Or you could just have a switch but you run the risk of forgetting it switched on!!
    Its down!!!! Sold the Golf so took it out, it's still alive but not installed.

Progress [-----------] 0%
    Who the Daddy Iz!

Comment

Search on terms "tank circuit". There's tons of info on how to do it.
      Originally posted by ghettocruzer
      I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
      Want to:
      -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
      -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

This should help:

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=49811
        A pic is worth a thousand words.

Comment

I have a dual battery set-up in my truck (one for all my goodies ) and one for running the truck. You can check out my setup at this link http://fordtruckworld.tenmagazines.c...-1-album-21509 and this one http://fordtruckworld.tenmagazines.c...ery.ten?id=288

I got all my supplies from these guys http://www.wranglernw.com - they have the dual battery trays, solenoids, switches - everything you need - plus they are very helpful and patient with your and your questions. Here's a link to their dual battery application catalog - while for trucks, I'm sure they could help you with your application in any vehicle. http://www.wranglernw.com/flyers/Wra...%20Catalog.pdf

Good Luck!

GRod
          Carputer/AV System ~95% complete
          Parts all acquired - testing underway
          Fabrication and integration underway
          More on my Ride

Comment

Originally posted by M11VNY

But you will need to put a split charger relay on the link as if kept connected whilst the car is not running the two batterys will discharge each other. The cheapest one I found was at maplins.
            The main reason for the split charger is so that you do not set fire to the vehicle.
            if you connect a second battery with a cable that is not large enough to withstand cranking amps and the main battery is not fully charged, the starter motor will try to draw current from the second battery and the thinner wire will overheat and melt. If you need any advice about fitting a split charging system, go and see your local caravan dealer.

Comment

Or add a big diode between main battery and puter battery on the + line. Alternator will charge both, and when cranking, the diode will prevent sucking juice from the pc battery
              Now Galileo is real. Muhahahahaha :p

Comment

A schottkey diode prevents this and eliminates the need for a separate charging circuit. The plans are on here, just....(rhymes with lurch)
                Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                Want to:
                -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

try this... Credit for this circuit goes to my mate Darren Pollard. I'll clean is up and repost when I have time. Basically once the alternator puts out a voltage on the indicate line the 12V contactor is closed hence charging the second battery. This contactor can be manually shut by pressing the push button illuminated switch. Disregard prices, they are in AU$
                  Attached Files
                  Never let the truth get in the way of a good story

Comment

Meddler's way of charging the second battery is way over the top, you just really need the 30amp relay. If you did connect the second battery with normal starter motor cable, you would not need anything else as this would stand the cranking current.

Comment

Thats more like it, but you only need one fuse holder, unless the second one should have been between the second battery and the distribution panel. I would also take the feed from the startermotor terminal.

Comment

I am going to do the same and bought this thing:
                        http://www.kemo-electronic.de/de/module/m102/index.htm

But now that I am going through all the posts about "tank" I am not so sure. So my question is will it work (the wires on the m102 are a bit thin)? If so this is a very cheap sollution (10$)

Comment

yes, but you can also use my setup to start your car if the main battery dies. I would hate to see you try to start your car with a 30A relay in line!!! It's great if you leave your interior light, parking lights or something like that on.

Comment

So, is that a normally closed relay? Or is the idea that it just charges the battery when you flick a switch. I would think I would want to have a normally closed so that it always keeps the two batterys at the same voltage, but when you turn the key to start it would activate the relay and open the circuit not allowing the starter to pull from the second battery. Perhaps I'm missing something in my logic... if so, please somebody set me straight... Oh, and if a normally closed will work, where could I get one that size... all the stores around here have normally open only.(atleast in that large a amperage)

Comment

The 150A contactor is normally open. Once the alternator indicate line put out 12V it then closes the 30A relay which then closes the contactor. So once the engine is started and the alternator is charging, the second battery is also charged. You can connect the two batteries at any time by pushing the switch for emergencies. ie flat main battery.
                              The micro relay is used so there isn't too much current draw on the indicate line of the alternator and the 30A relay is used to supply the current required to keep the contactor closed.

Comment

Working...
                              X