Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What about solar panels?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What about solar panels?

    I was just wondering...if you have a second battery....how about charging it up with solar panels so it doesnt die?

    whatyas think?

  • #2
    Search on "solar" or "solar panel". Short answer is that you'd have to cover your roof with panels to generate enough power to recharge the batt.
    Originally posted by ghettocruzer
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

    Comment


    • #3
      better yet, mount a giant windmill to the roof of your car.
      Your everyday carpc geek and tech guru at your service. *bow*

      Comment


      • #4
        whole roooof...gahh...just to keep the battery charged? i mean a car battery will power my computer for about 6 hours....wont the solar panel be okay??

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Deep
          whole roooof...gahh...just to keep the battery charged? i mean a car battery will power my computer for about 6 hours....wont the solar panel be okay??
          No. Those solar panels only provide enough charge to offset the natural discharge the battery has.
          Debt as of 1/1/05: $34,354.48
          Debt as of July 4, 2007: $0.00 explanation
          I'M DEBT FREE!!
          I'm now a reasonably successful gunblogger.

          Comment


          • #6
            a solar panel that generates 100watts is 56.93"x25.43" and costs $421 have fun putting that in yer car.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by krystar
              a solar panel that generates 100watts is 56.93"x25.43" and costs $421 have fun putting that in yer car.
              Have fun trying to prevent your car from lifting off the ground in a windstorm.
              Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
              How about the Wiki?



              Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

              Comment


              • #8
                u know what'd be really cool but really expensive. replace the hood with a custom shape solar panel. heh. plenty of surface area right there.

                Comment


                • #9
                  you'd need to wear sunglasses all day - those things shine like hell
                  "A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking."

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by rickster
                    you'd need to wear sunglasses all day - those things shine like hell
                    Don't know which ones you are talking about, but good ones dont "shine" If they shine, they are wasting the light coming in.
                    I have found you an argument; I am not obliged to find you an understanding.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by rushnrockt
                      Don't know which ones you are talking about, but good ones dont "shine" If they shine, they are wasting the light coming in.
                      Since when do they make good solar panels? The best solar panels I've seen are barely 20% effiecient. Even my hamster can beat that.
                      StreetDeck.com Developer (I am Chuck)
                      Get StreetDeck at http://www.streetdeck.com
                      The Official StreetDeck Forums have moved, please visit us at http://www.streetdeck.com/forum for official support for Streetdeck.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        like i said before, just mount a giant windmill to your car. sure it will stick out like a sore thumb and be topheavy, but its way more efficient than solar panels and can realy generate some juice going 70+mph down the road.[/sarcasm]
                        Your everyday carpc geek and tech guru at your service. *bow*

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Vchat20
                          like i said before, just mount a giant windmill to your car. sure it will stick out like a sore thumb and be topheavy, but its way more efficient than solar panels and can realy generate some juice going 70+mph down the road.[/sarcasm]
                          IT would be like one of those geek beanies with the propeller on top.
                          Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                          How about the Wiki?



                          Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            instead of a carbon fiber hood, a solar panel hood? haha. might be worth seeing if you have a bunch of extra stuff laying around. new VW's can come with a panel for the front window, right? haha/

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X