Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using same gauge wire when running to a switch.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using same gauge wire when running to a switch.

If Im placing a toggle switch in the middle of the red power wire than runs into the opus. I think that wire is like 8 gauge. Do I need to also use 8 gauge wire to run to the toggle switch?

Or could I get away with like 10 or 12 guage?
    My Carputer Project

wire need to be the all the same from power source to ground. the weak point in the system must be the fuse, not the wire. otherwise you risk a fire.

although 10guage should be enough for a computer...what amperage are you running.

Comment

put the switch on the remote line not the main power line

Comment

I had wrong figures. the wire going into OPUS is 14 guage.

xd, putting it on the remote doesnt work, because when my computer freezes or shuts down for any unknown reason, Ive had a switch on the remote and it doesnt work.
        My Carputer Project

Comment

you should focus on solving freezing issues
          Peugeot 206 1.4 HDi

Intel Mini-ITX Mainboard
          Celeron 1.2ghz
          256mb DDR-2 533
          80gig 3.5" SATA HDD
          Sb Live 5.1 w/ KXProject Drivers
          M2-ATX
          8" Lilliput TS LCD

100% installed and working :D

Comment

it's not a bad idea to put a switch on the power line either. i have a switch on my main power. my PSU even when turned off still draws 250mA. i'd rather have a switch to make sure it draws 0mA.

Comment

well drawing power isn't a bad thing, since it'll keep your computer on standby. besides, the opus would shut off this whole thing before the voltage reaches below 11 volts right? so you'd still be able to start the car...
              Brushed Metal for Centrafuse 1.4
              Brushed Aluminum for Centrafuse 1.4

xenarc 700ts | via epia-m10k | audigy2 nx | holux gm-210 | usb wifi | 40gb 2.5" | slot-load dvd-cdrw | morex 3688 | opus 150w | centrafuse, iguidance

Comment

not talking about keeping on standby. talking about full shutdown. even when shutdown, motherboard still draw power for such things as keyboard wakeup or wake on lan or stuff like that. it's never totally off.

Comment

Originally posted by nappyjim
                  I had wrong figures. the wire going into OPUS is 14 guage.

xd, putting it on the remote doesnt work, because when my computer freezes or shuts down for any unknown reason, Ive had a switch on the remote and it doesnt work.

dont run a 14 guage go with a 8 or 10 14 is going to be toooooooooo small

putting a switch on the remote line should work becasue ur going to cut the remote power to the pc causing the opus to shut down after the certin time frame u set it at or u can tap into ur 2 pin switch on ur mobo and extend it to ur dash with a momentary switch

Comment

Y dont you just get a momentary push button and connet it to the green and white wires of the mobo---->psu.....THat will restart the computer
                    2002 Mitsubishi Galant
                    Progress: 90% [-▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓- ->

Carputer Specs:
                    Via M10K
                    512mb Ram
                    60GB HDD
                    Souund Blaster Audigy2 NX
                    OPUS ITX PC Case

Comment

Working...
                    X