dumb-*** question-120v to 12v..????

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dumb-*** question-120v to 12v..????

i need to get my carputer set up, but dont want to keep running in and out of the house to my car to do it. my system is using the opus 90w board with the 12v hot, ground, and acc connections, but i want to work on it in my house. can i buy a standard 120v AC converter to 12v and splice the wires to the opus pcb wires? do i need to worry about mA ratings?

You do. And you're talking amps, not mA. I don't know how much amperage the Opus needs, but it might be anywhere from 10-20 amps, if not more. You can get stuff like that (or could) at radioshack, they should be in the glass counters or something.

Do you have any spare car batteries around, maybe? A small battery charger? You could hook it up to a spare battery with a trickle charge or something...

Comment

you need a converter. i've got a good one here providing about 20 or so amps powering my late 90's premier motorized flip down faced deck and set of component speakers plus a couple eclipse 6 1/2's. i got it for $20 at a car stereo store. anyway, just for fun i was thinking about using it to power a inverter to power a computer...ac-dc-ac-dc, how's that for efficiency??

Comment

Something like this is what I use: http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...ct%5Fid=22-508 but it's $80. I didn't like parting with the money when I bought it but it's been extremely useful so I'd say it was a good investment.

If you don't need to run the PC more than about 90 minutes, you can get one of those portable car jumpstart power packs for half the price. You'll have power plus you get the use of the jumpstart feature.
        Originally posted by ghettocruzer
        I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
        Want to:
        -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
        -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

A CB base station PSU is perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by Bugbyte
            Something like this is what I use: http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...ct%5Fid=22-508 but it's $80. I didn't like parting with the money when I bought it but it's been extremely useful so I'd say it was a good investment.

If you don't need to run the PC more than about 90 minutes, you can get one of those portable car jumpstart power packs for half the price. You'll have power plus you get the use of the jumpstart feature.
            I'd agree on one of those jumpstart battery boosters. Damn handy. I've got one and definitely nice to have. I'm not sure, but I thought mines 12v works even when charging. The only other suggestion would be to get one of the newer ones with an air compressor.
            GE Cache Builder | [email protected] |Coolstuff :autospeed.com | bit-tech.net | Nitemax Ultra Pinouts

Comment

Get an old AT psu, they usually have a huge 12v rail.
              Now Galileo is real. Muhahahahaha :p

Comment

Why don't you just use a standard ATX power supply? They are cheap (and some of your friends might have some spare one in their house) and you just replace the opus by the ATX psu while in the house.
                Via Epia M10000 / 512 DDR / 10gigs 3.5 HD / M1-ATX / Innovatek 7" TS Screen
                Trunk fiberglassing in progress...
                Need GPS / Aux Input / WiFi

My Corolla Computer

Comment

AT's are cheaper and usually have a beefy switch on them, I powered a HU, and an amp with one

Comment

Originally posted by CapitaineFritz
                    Why don't you just use a standard ATX power supply? They are cheap (and some of your friends might have some spare one in their house) and you just replace the opus by the ATX psu while in the house.
                    im embarassed to say that even for a newb, i didn't think of that....thanx. good idea

Comment

Originally posted by Tim97rs
                      im embarassed to say that even for a newb, i didn't think of that....thanx. good idea
                      I have to do this, and I think it sucks having to take out the OPUS everytime.

As mentioned before, why not use an AT powersupply to power up the OPUS? You can buy a 250watt power supply for like 15 bucks. 250w/12v=20amps which should be just enough...

Comment

Originally posted by Bugbyte

that's awesome, gonna get that now.
                        [ 5-spd 1996 M A X i M A SE ]

Comment

Working...
                        X